What's new

Is it worth building a PC from scratch?

Is it worth it to make a PC from scratch?

• Yes

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Guinea Pig

GP for short
22 Feb 2007
Do you think it's worth building a PC from scratch? I am thinking about doing so, but I wonder if it's worth it.

Especially now that I'd pretty much be stuck putting Vista on it, an idea I'm not crazy about.

I think no because this will take a lot of time and it probably computer won't work as you need .It will more cheap to buy new but not the newest model. But if your hobby is make things from scratch and you have all parts you need , then maybe it's worth

I've built two computers from parts. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to fly. It isn't at all difficult to do these days, you get one with the specs you want, and you'll find that you will probably save a bit of money over buying something that is almost-but-not-quite what you wanted off the shelf.

Motherboards generally come with very detailed instructions on what turns out to be a surprisingly easy assembly task. If you have a pulse and know which end of a phillips screwdriver to hold onto, there's no reason you can't figure out how to assemble your own PC.

I've built two computers from parts. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to fly. It isn't at all difficult to do these days, you get one with the specs you want, and you'll find that you will probably save a bit of money over buying something that is almost-but-not-quite what you wanted off the shelf.

Motherboards generally come with very detailed instructions on what turns out to be a surprisingly easy assembly task. If you have a pulse and know which end of a phillips screwdriver to hold onto, there's no reason you can't figure out how to assemble your own PC.
I have to agree with this, the computer I use now is "self" built and while at first I felt a bit daunted at the idea of doing it myself I am glad I did. It runs like a charm and does what I need it to do and it only cost me about 60,000 yen overall.

Once you do it yourself you never feel like a virgin again. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I got started building PC's when I tried to repair one.

It seems static electricity is the biggest worry. I use a static mat on my work bench and a strap on my ankle or wrist. The most difficult part is putting the CPU chips into the motherboard and attaching the cooling system to it; the rest is easy. I think shopping for the parts is a lot of fun. You can spend hours on the internet looking for good deals and reading reviews on different parts.I recomend a tower with more space then you need for adding to later down the road. A power supply with around 500 watts or more and a silent fan is good. The quieter the cooling system, the better and keeping the whole system running cool is important. You can build a great system for under $1000 US that would cost you 2 thousand or more to buy outright. I hear ram memory is vital for speed with vista, the more the better. I could go on & on, but go for it, you won't be sorry.

Uncle Frank

👍

I would love to build a complete PC from scratch, compared to the one We are currently using in this house, it would be miles better.

It would have to have well over 1000 Mb of RAM, a decent DVD/CD player and burning drive and at least 9 USB ports as we are running out of places to plug items in as all three of us use this computer. And if the cost was over £1,000 to me it would be well worth it!

One good way to hold costs down is to "cannibalize" components from other computers. Hard drives and DVD drives can quite easily be recycled this way.

THe best thing about building your own PC, is that you get to put WHAT YOU WANT in it, as opposed to what some desk jockey thinks you need. Not to mention all the crap programs that they load into it that serve no good purpose. The drawback to building your own PC, is that YOU are your tech support. But with Microsoft's Knowledge Base, Google, and an infinite number of computer forums, that isn't really a drawback anymore. I've built my own machines, as well as machines for other people, ranging from an all-silent PC to an extremely overclocked liquid-cooled screamer. And every one of them have been fun to build, even when the liquid-cooled machine sprung a leak.

Some advice: don't use pirated software. Every PC I've built has it's own copy of Windows XP. Using genuine software is something that can never be taken away, and it also gives you a sense of doing the right thing. Besides...a OEM copy of Windows XP runs in the neighborhood of $140.

Next: do your homework. Don't just pick random parts and toss them together. Make sure they are compatible. Read reviews and forums on the hardware you want to use.

ANd lastly: keep your boxes. PC parts have warranties for at least a year, so keep track of model numbers and serial numbers, as well as the boxes they came in. You never know when you'll have to return something.

The most annoying thing I've found is that before you can start the build, you have to make sure you have all the little cables and case fans and other little whatnots that keep things cool or operating. But the first time you see that Windows Logo, followed by the blue landscape desktop, you get a feeling you'll never forget...like you're the master of technology. The same feeling you got when you figured out how to set the clock on a VCR. 🙂

I've built countless computers over the past decade, both for myself and for others. Although I prefer it over buying pre-fab machines because the lower cost (for comparable components) and a higher degree of customizability, there is the hassle of picking out all of the components, dealing with individual manufacturer warranties, and installing all of your own software. If you do not have the time to do this, and do not enjoy fiddling with computers, this is probably not the way for you to go. As an aside, I've seen many people make stupid mistakes while building their own computer like forcing the RAM in backwards, cracking their CPU die when seating the heatsink, forgetting thermal compounds, etc... so please make sure you know what you're doing before you attempt building your own system.

I've built countless computers over the past decade, both for myself and for others. Although I prefer it over buying pre-fab machines because the lower cost (for comparable components) and a higher degree of customizability, there is the hassle of picking out all of the components, dealing with individual manufacturer warranties, and installing all of your own software. If you do not have the time to do this, and do not enjoy fiddling with computers, this is probably not the way for you to go. As an aside, I've seen many people make stupid mistakes while building their own computer like forcing the RAM in backwards, cracking their CPU die when seating the heatsink, forgetting thermal compounds, etc... so please make sure you know what you're doing before you attempt building your own system.

Exactly. Read, read, read. MaximumPC magazine and PC Magazine are two of the best sources I know of.

I've built two computers from parts. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only way to fly.
I agree here too... really it is the prefered method of those familiar enough to know the difference between a USB cable and a CAT5 network cable...

Generally speaking you will get better parts, at a better price, and you can shop around for your needs... I wasn't a fan of shopping for PC parts in Japan, or kicking around Akihaba to get them, but building my pc from the ground up is what I have done since day one... I wouldn't consider buying anything but a pre-built laptop.

What gets you into trouble is building pc's for other people... because any and every problem they encounter, from viruses, to them spilling coke into the keyboard becomes your fault because "you built it!".

You'll also find the pricing matches well wit what you could buy from a manufacturer, you don't get the warranty support but you learn alot and you'll probably end up with better parts for the same price as a manufactured system with cheaper parts.

if you make your own pc, then you know what you've installed etc...
it's much better but there are also many risks at stake.
like drivers or troubleshooting eg: your videocard doesn't support openGL or there are conflicts with some hardware.

but my opinion is, it's better because YOU builded it and you buyed your own stuff then instead buying a good pc with a lame videodriver! (0.0')

-Gambatte ne!

if you make your own pc, then you know what you've installed etc... It's much better but there are also many risks at stake. Like drivers or troubleshooting eg: your videocard doesn't support openGL or there are conflicts with some hardware.
Driver issues are much much much less of a hassle than they used to be... Generally speaking, openGL is sort of a dead fish... most everything (sadly) is going the route of DirectX 10, I say sadly because openGL was of course an open platform mostly promoted by games made by id (Quake, Quake II, Quake III), etc... but there are some great great strides being made w/ Direct X 10, and games like Chrysis should look fantastic on it. I'd be more concerened that my card was a PCI-E card, and suported both Vista Aero, and had support of pixel-shaders than I would w/ OpenGL anymore...

Generally speaking, if you plan your purchases out correctly, making sure you have a powerful enough power-supply to handle all the kit your putting in your rig, then that's a very important first step... second you have to think about cooling, (and QUIET cooling)... There are all different routes you can go from "Frankensteining" a pc together, to a complete water cooled overclocked nightmare FPS killing machine...

There are all different routes you can go from "Frankensteining" a pc together, to a complete water cooled overclocked nightmare FPS killing machine...
What's wrong with that? :p

Attachments

• hydropower.gif
    hydropower.gif
    123.9 KB · Views: 135
  • water_lines.gif
    water_lines.gif
    147.3 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for all the advice! You guys are the best! I've decided to build my own computer from scratch for the first time.

yeah indeed, let's hope you wil have the pc of your life! and let's hope that everything is in order! as i say:

Gambatte ne tomodachi.

well looks like all's been said :p

but just to add:

* think of your budget... what will you be using the computer for? office/internet? entertainment? games?

- i too started from scratch but actually salvaged what i could from old PCs (ex. monitor, cd-rom/floppy/hard drives, cables, power supply, etc). from there, i saved and upgraded even if it was one step at a time. my computer's fast - a couple of years ago lol but the point is, it serves its purpose. yeah i play games but i know the limits of my rig so i'm pretty content w/ what i have

i'm currently saving for a new set so hopefully soon i won't be in the dark ages anymore lol

Thanks for all the advice! You guys are the best! I've decided to build my own computer from scratch for the first time.

I'm glad to hear your building it yourself! Your about to embark on a fun and often times life long hobby!

My only real tip that I can't stress enough is spend time researching your parts and what you want! Choosing the right cpu/mobo/graphics card can mean the difference between having to upgrade in 1 year and 5 years!

Again, good luck!

I think no because this will take a lot of time and it probably computer won't work as you need .It will more cheap to buy new but not the newest model. But if your hobby is make things from scratch and you have all parts you need , then maybe it's worth
I usually take two hours when I build computers, that's how it took when I built my first one. In all honesty, it was as if I was playing with Lego's. That's how easy it is. Also, unless you're uneducated and are wondering why an AGP graphics card won't fit into a PCI-E slot, you won't have any issues getting your computer to work the way you want you to. You will probably save hundreds of dollars too.

My only recommendation is to ground yourself prior to messing with any components to discharge any static electricity.

I greatly prefer building, even with some frustrations I have with doing so. Like how some components (especially the mobo and cards for PCI slots) are stubbornly uncooperative with going into their spaces properly.

I'm a "barebones" type of computer user. I don't like fancy added programs, and I like to have ALL options available to me... I've serviced a few computers made by Dell, HP, and the like... one thing I notice is that the BIOSes are woefully inadequate; leaving out options and stuff "for your safety". I hate being restricted like that.

I prefer building myself rather than being duped by some computer salesguy that
sells PCs with lots of integrated parts and expensive-but-suck parts. :p

Although there are risks with building a pc on your own, an anti-static wrist strap and enough knowledge about computers should set things straight. Most catalogs I've seen today doesn't give much attractive offer. I'm a gamer so, I know how to sort out the craps. Many PC experts said that building PC on your own saves a lot of money. Unless you want some high-ends...

Back
Top Bottom