What's new

Is it true?

25 Aug 2014
Look, extremely off topic but......this thing with japan and KFC, is this a real thing in japan? I've heard about it but I'd like to know from anyone's personal experiences of if this is true or just another story.

christmas_in_japan_by_naha_def-d6yqzkt.png

I thought all the best Christmas songs came from Jewish composers....
I wouldn't doubt it.

I went by the KFC near my home but no one was there aside from the usual amount of random people.

Is it all ordered in advance? Is chicken for Christmas traditional? I can see how Thanksgiving could get confused that way but I don't know what traditional Christmas meals are (isn't there a song about a goose?).

We did the KFC thing this year for the first time. Ordered less than a week in advance. I was surprised that there was nobody in line on Christmas day evening, so maybe they did it more on Christmas eve. Anyway, yes, it's true how popular KFC is for Japanese. The main reason, I suspect, is that chicken not turkey is widely available, so chicken is the "traditional" food for that day, and KFC makes it easy for people who don't want or can't cook. Last year we ordered chicken from another take-out restaurant. It just makes it easier for our busy family.

My uni cafeteria had a xmas special last week--the main was a chicken piece, a leg-thigh that was still connected as one. Then I noticed the local super had the same cut/combo (but bigger), and so we baked a couple of those for dinner the other night.

Never heard of the KFC thing tho.

My uni cafeteria had a xmas special last week--the main was a chicken piece, a leg-thigh that was still connected as one. Then I noticed the local super had the same cut/combo (but bigger), and so we baked a couple of those for dinner the other night.

Never heard of the KFC thing tho.

You must have your television turned off from about November....

Trying to buy KFC on Dec 24 or 25 without booking ahead is like trying to get a Shinkansen seat during Golden Week without a reservation.

Mike--apart from Sumo, I never watch local TV, but we do have two cable feeds for movies and the like.

How long have you been here, johnny? Hard to believe anyone who has lived here any appreciable amount of time has not heard of KFC for Xmas. You don't need TV to learn it.

On the other hand, how many Americans have a goose for Christmas? Or even heard of it? Or remember hearing about it from traditional Christmas stories?

Christmas comes from Europe, but the turkey is from the Americas. How many Europeans think of turkey for Christmas dinner?

And lets not forget about having a ham for Christmas.

Anyway, yes, Japanese Christmas and KFC. Its true. I don't know how it got started, but it may well be that KFC, an American company, is the one that began the whole thing, just as Santa came to wear exclusively red because of Coca-Cola.

How long have you been here, johnny? Hard to believe anyone who has lived here any appreciable amount of time has not heard of KFC for Xmas. You don't need TV to learn it.

Going on 27 yrs, 29 if you count a couple in Tokyo.

Count me clueless--both the wife and the older daughter who is home now knew about this, tho with some question whether it was roasted or deep fried. Wife said that if I didn't automatically trash the "chirashi" from the paper every day I might have seen something.

Such is life...

There's one wet market here, and I'm sure I could get a whole chicken and roast it on my own. Just never thought of doing that for xmas. No doubt it would be better than anything kfc would do--especially if they're frying it.

... I'm sure I could get a whole chicken and roast it on my own. Just never thought of doing that for xmas. No doubt it would be better than anything kfc would do--especially if they're frying it.

While you could get fancy, you probably wouldn't need much more than salt & pepper. And tho not necessary, do it in a piece of cast iron. Maybe 170 for 35 min or so.

We also got KFC .... to take over to the inlaws and was shocked to find the place empty at 11:30 on Christmas Day. In and out in 2 minutes! I asked why it wasn`t busy and he said most of the orders are collected on the 24th.
FYI ......KFC, Oden, Sushi and Chocolate cake for lunch is not a good combination.

Back
Top Bottom