What's new

is it true?

It depends what you call racist. Don't worry, you won't get lynched. Anyway, if you are Iranian, you are neither Arab nor Black, are you ? There are much more Iranians than Arabs in Japan.

In my experience, I don't think they are racist to black and arab people, its just that they prefer white people (blonde and blue eyes, that is).. that's what I think anyway

yes i am iranian. but not everybody know we are persian. some people just count us as arabs out of ignorance........

I know cool Iranian living in Osaka, has been there for like 8 years or so. He loves it.

As long as you can smile I think you'll be fine!

As above, `just smile`

Racism is everywhere. Racist Japanese people don't want others to know they are racist so it's easy to ignore racism in Japan.

I've seen cute Japanese girls with Indians, Arabs, Persians, African men etc. so I think Japanese people have the freedom to like who they want as individuals without too much social or peer pressure.

But, if you're an idealist or warmonger, you can find a lot of racism.

NovaTeacher said:
I've seen cute Japanese girls with Indians, Arabs, Persians, African men etc. so I think Japanese people have the freedom to like who they want as individuals without too much social or peer pressure.

Mmmm.... I'd genuinely love to say that I agree with you on this one, but I think there is still a long way to go before this is true. While young people may feel less inhibited about foreign relationships than a generation before, their parents and grandparents may have a completely different view of 'what is best' for their offspring.

Japan is known to be a very racist country for a while now, it doesn't mean everybody will try to stone you to death or make you a town outcast, even today the youth of japan like so many other countrys appears to be becoming more and more acceptable of othe races, but the fact still remains it has a repuation for being racist towards many other countrys,

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Japan racism 'deep and profound'

Although i am sure most people you meet there are fine and like anyone else, don't let a few bad apples spoil your visit.

In general, Japanese society is quite biased towards people of other races, and tends to stereotype a whole boatload. There is a brand of women, for instance, who pursue black men for no other reason than they're black. It's the image they're after -- not the individual. South Asians and Persians tend to suffer the most discrimination because they're viewed often-times as cheap labour, though that seems to be changing as more and more become small business owners and quite visible people in Japan.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. There are bigots in every country, and you just have to let it slide sometimes and you'll be fine. Most people will probably be interested about you and your country to varying degrees, and very few people will be outright hostile. Don't let perceived racism stop you from coming unless you are incredibly thin-skinned.

There was (is?) a problem with Iranian's selling drugs in Shibuya... for a while. That can't be doing you any favors. I wouldn't worry about it though. Just means you might get a weird look every once in a blue moon.

Didn't you know Blacks are "fashionablearu" at the moment as are Korean dramas
A case of true racists trying to get their small minds around other cultures??
I ask you.

Back
Top Bottom