What's new

Is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome a common healthproblem in today's high tech japan?

pinson27

Kouhai
8 Dec 2006
I've heard something like that. In america, where i'm from, we do get it.. in fact i have it so bad.. i can't do much computing, or else.
From what i've seen in news reports and documentaries Japanese people these days use Cellphones alot.. computers, intternet, blogging and all that just like Americans. But i never hear of cases of Carpal Tunnel, and surely when i chat with japanese people in Chats they are always confused and surprised when i mention Carpal Tunnel syndrome. They never heard the word even in Japanese , which i always type thinking that they would recognize it.

Is CT something japanese people rarely get due to diet and their genes?

Can't Carpal Tunnel Syndrome be prevented by just using better typing practices or what ever? I started playing guitar when I was 15 and the first thing I learned was how to not play in a way that would give me carpal tunnel. I assume it's the same with typing?

(in short, it probably has zero to do with diet or genes.)

Carpal Tunnel is called 手根管症候群 (しゅこんかんしょうこうぐん) - Shukon kansho kougun, or you can use katakana.

Its not non-existant in Japan but it isn't a huge problem either, I personally haven't heard of anyone with it. Genes and diet don't do anything to help either.

In America, recently "Blackberry Thumb" has become a problem apparently, but there seems to be no corresponding problem in Japan, even though so many people seem to constantly be sending emails on their cel phones.

Based on the news article about Blackberry Thumb I read, I have come to the conclusion that the difference lies in how people hold thier communications device as they push the keys with their thumb. In America, people seem to hold the device closer to the joint at the base of the thumb so that more pressure is exerted there, whereas in Japan people tend not to hold their phones in such a way, so that there is no corresponding pressure at said joint.

Whether that is due to the size and shape of the devices or something else, I have no idea (I have never even seen a blackbery), but I thought I'd share my observation as it seemed appropriate in this thread.

not sure

I'm not sure man. I do know one thing though. I need to get rid of this stupid card table and buy a desk. :eek:
It seems like my fingers have been kinda weak lately.

Back
Top Bottom