What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

iphone and wifi in japan?

Reaction score
I know that my iPhone cell phone service will not work in japan but I was thinking I could still use my phone for wifi and sending emails. Has anyone done this or is wifi a common thing in the big cities like Osaka Kyoto and tokyo?

nice gaijin

Resident Realist
Donor
Reaction score
wifi is not as widespread as you would expect from a major metropolis, but it is getting better. Coffee shops are your best bet.

ArmandV

Eight Times To Japan
Contributor
Reaction score
wifi is not as widespread as you would expect from a major metropolis, but it is getting better. Coffee shops are your best bet.

Hotels have it also, but you will have to pay a small fee.

I used a WiFi in Kumamoto. The inn I stayed at didn't have WiFi or Internet, but I got lucky and picked up a signal.

Goldiegirl

先輩
Reaction score
I took my iphone with me on my last visit and it didn't work for anything. I very well could have been doing something wrong....

ET_Fukuoka

先輩
Reaction score
Last year I was able to get a lot more wifi then usual, so i think the amount of open wifi is steadily increasing. Or just go near an Apple store.

chaptazzz

後輩
Reaction score
I read the iPhone is going to be launched in Japan early next year; next month I think, so maybe you'll be able to get service then...

thanaads

後輩
Reaction score
I know that my iPhone cell phone service will not work in japan but I was thinking I could still use my phone for wifi and sending emails. Has anyone done this or is wifi a common thing in the big cities like Osaka Kyoto and tokyo?
I also interested in iPhone, so I had created iPhone News blog;
Please check it.
iphone-thailand.blogspot.com

Top Bottom