What's new

Investing in Japan

S.K.

Registered
9 May 2016
Hey guys, I'm new here.

Quick question: Are there any investors on this forum? If yes, what do you do, where do you get your info and where do you hang out? (online and offline)

I've been looking all over the internet for communities of English speaking foreign investors in Japan but I couldn't find anything except for the gaijinpot forums that died back in 2013. It's such a shame, they even had a proper investing/finance section.

In case of sufficient demand we'll be glad to open a forum dedicated to investment and finance. For the time, use our general discussion area to post any questions, news or topics.

In case of sufficient demand we'll be glad to open a forum dedicated to investment and finance. For the time, use our general discussion area to post any questions, news or topics.

Thank you thomas!
I hope this thread spurs enough interest from the community to get that section started.

I don't know if it's okay to suggest this, but for example...
Lose money with friends!
Tax News and Discussion
Job Discussion Forums :: View topic - Why don't you invest?
(Personally, I think the last link is so-so. First is best, second is a complement to that.)

Thanks JohnnyG!
I stumbled on the reddit ones a bit earlier today. I was trying to find something more specific to Japan but it's better than nothing though. The last link starts out great (I'm investing for the same reason, the uncertainty of receiving a pension in Japan) but devolves into talks of mma and chi blasts. As expected from esl cafe I guess.

Just read a lot, and then read some more. Don't decide anything on the spur of the moment--write down what you are thinking about (what you want to do) and then don't do it. Revisit that idea (or those ideas) several weeks or several months later and see how they look with some hindsight.

Tho it has been a while, I did look at trying to buy US-based ETFs via japanese brokers. What I saw was not very satisfying. Personally, I use Schwab (in the US), and while I think they are excellent, others like Fidelity would also be fine. I could be wrong, but frankly, it's hard to beat the competitiveness and the associated service (and low fees) of US outfits. For example, Vanguard and Powershares ETFs are available for trading here, but when using a US brokerage, some of those trade commission-free (I think unheard of within Japan).

Are you a US person? That could make a difference. If you are not, then my comments may not apply. If you are... Well, I declare and am very anal about being honest about everything (both in Japan and of course the US). If everything's upfront, then (my personal opinion) I think US outfits have the edge over anything you'll find in Japan.

Comments?

Hey guys, I'm new here.

Quick question: Are there any investors on this forum? If yes, what do you do, where do you get your info and where do you hang out? (online and offline)

I've been looking all over the internet for communities of English speaking foreign investors in Japan but I couldn't find anything except for the gaijinpot forums that died back in 2013. It's such a shame, they even had a proper investing/finance section.

Did you try Linkedin? There's a group called Business in Japan, which I think should be a good start. I don't post, only read, but there are some interesting people in that group.

Just read a lot, and then read some more. Don't decide anything on the spur of the moment--write down what you are thinking about (what you want to do) and then don't do it. Revisit that idea (or those ideas) several weeks or several months later and see how they look with some hindsight.

Tho it has been a while, I did look at trying to buy US-based ETFs via japanese brokers. What I saw was not very satisfying. Personally, I use Schwab (in the US), and while I think they are excellent, others like Fidelity would also be fine. I could be wrong, but frankly, it's hard to beat the competitiveness and the associated service (and low fees) of US outfits. For example, Vanguard and Powershares ETFs are available for trading here, but when using a US brokerage, some of those trade commission-free (I think unheard of within Japan).

Are you a US person? That could make a difference. If you are not, then my comments may not apply. If you are... Well, I declare and am very anal about being honest about everything (both in Japan and of course the US). If everything's upfront, then (my personal opinion) I think US outfits have the edge over anything you'll find in Japan.

Comments?
Sadly I'm not from the US, I'm a Canada person and as far as I know there's nothing really worthwhile going on over there investment-wise. I've been in Japan for more than 6 years and intend on getting naturalized which is why I'm looking for something more local.

I guess Japan can't win against the US when it comes to stocks but what's your stance on real estate investing? Considering the high rent, relatively low starting price and ease of finding tenants, it sounds like the market here might be better here than in the US. I'm actually planning on starting next year with the purchase of a one room mansion.

Did you try Linkedin? There's a group called Business in Japan, which I think should be a good start. I don't post, only read, but there are some interesting people in that group.

My girlfriend suggested the same thing yesterday. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend, thanks for the advice!

Sadly I'm not from the US, I'm a Canada person and as far as I know there's nothing really worthwhile going on over there investment-wise. I've been in Japan for more than 6 years and intend on getting naturalized which is why I'm looking for something more local.

I guess Japan can't win against the US when it comes to stocks but what's your stance on real estate investing? Considering the high rent, relatively low starting price and ease of finding tenants, it sounds like the market here might be better here than in the US. I'm actually planning on starting next year with the purchase of a one room mansion.

I think real estate in Japan as an investment can be tricky. The population is shrinking quite fast, so it can be expected that more and more rooms become vacant, and for a longer period as well.

If I were to put my money in real estate, I would either focus on tourism or foreign students. Both groups are targeted (by the government and universities) to bring in additional income, so an increase in that group can be expected.

Back
Top Bottom