What's new

interpretation of a newspaper article

UsoToChinmoku

後輩
31 Jul 2014
「北朝鮮が事実上の長距離弾道ミサイル発射の準備段階で、機体を隠して夜間に移動させるなど情報統制を徹底したことが浮かび上がってきた。協力して情報を集めた日米韓は、最後まで半信半疑だったという。」

1) 「...機体を隠して夜間に移動させるなど」 is an adverbial phrase and modifies 「情報統制」 right? Using など for conjunction seemed a bit weird to me. Can I interpret it as 機体を隠して夜間に移動させるというように情報統制を徹底した...?

2) Not so sure about the 「事実上」 usage here. I know what it means, but not sure what purpose does it serve here. How would you translate this sentence to English? Why is there a need to add that it's "actual", would someone otherwise interpret it as a fake launch/preparation?

Last edited:
1)
など shows that the preceding clause is an example of 情報統制. などの is also used. The meaning is the same as your rephrasing, but the function is not adverbial.

2)
North Korea insists that it's a launch of a satellite.

1) などの makes sense since の provides conjunction, but how does など connect these sentences grammatically if it's not adverbial? According to goo など is an adverbial particle, but I'm assuming this is not the case this time...

2) Oh, that they do. So, this 「事実上」 phrase is only used in an article if there's some ambiguity present regarding the statement? I feel like, at this point, this is asahi's ツッコミ, they previously called it 「自称衛星」 xD

Last edited:
The dictionary clearly states 名詞、活用語の連用形、一部の助詞などに付く。. You can't omit の in 赤や黄などの落ち葉, because 赤や黄 is not examples of 落ち葉. 赤や黄など色とりどりの落ち葉 is valid. Can you see the difference?;)

All newspapers and TV news add 事実上の since NK doesn't admit it. It's not the problem of ambiguity.

[副助]《副助詞「なんど」の音変化》名詞、活用語の連用形、一部の助詞などに付く。

Isn't 名詞 indicating what it can be attached to? Including 活用語の連用形. But など itself is a 副助, no?

EDIT: I see that 赤や黄など are examples of 色とりどり, but they're not examples of 落ち葉. I think I understand how it works in practice, but what's the theory/rule behind this? And I'm still not sure what kind of grammatical conjunction is 赤や黄など色とりどり...

Last edited:
Ah, sorry, my interpretation about the explanation in the dictionary seems to be wrong.

副助詞 isn't used only for advervial usage. こたつなどを出す is also an example of 例示, but this is not adverbial. こたつなど出す is also valid, so の is disappeared behind など is one of the ways of interpretation in your example sentence and my one. Another interpretation "機体を隠して夜間に移動させる is an example of 情報統制を徹底した" would be also possible, though.

Well, sentences where the conjunctive particle is simply abbreviated, as you pointed out, make sense. But, I'm still not sure how they connect if there's no particle at all and it's not adverbial.

"機体を隠して夜間に移動させる is an example of 情報統制を徹底した"
OK, so you mentioned in your previous post that there's no need for a conjunctive particle if the first clause is actually listing examples of the second clause, like in the example of "赤や黄など色とりどり" But how do the clauses connect then?
Are the example sentences that goo lists for usage #2 and #3 adverbial usages of など? (「わたしのこと―お忘れでしょう」「金―いるものか」, お茶―召しあがりませんか」「今インフレに―なったら大変だ)
So is it always adverbial when used as #2,/#3, and non-adverbial when used as #1?

Notice that 副助詞 is a particle by itself. など works as a particle, not an adverb, in those examples.

Oh, I never thought of it that way... Interesting.

Could you give a few examples where など is used as an adverb?

Is the usage adverbial when clause #1 lists examples of clause #2? Is there a specific rule regarding the (un)necessity of conjunctive particles in these situations?
Like the example you previously used:
落ち葉. 赤や黄など色とりどりの落ち葉

When 機体を隠して夜間に移動させる is an example of 情報統制を徹底した, 機体を隠して夜間に移動させるなど is an adverbial clause, as in 機体を隠して夜間に移動させるなどのよう. If this clause modifies 情報統制, as in your initial interpretation, it's 機体を隠して夜間に移動させるなどのよう, so this clause is more likely adjectival.

Back
Top Bottom