What's new

Internet acess, nation wide wireless internet service?

nsxsupra

後輩
18 Jan 2006
Are there any nation wide wireless internet service available in Japan? Where to go to sign up for the service in Tokyo? I will be purchasing a new laptop in Japan once I get there.

I am going to be studying in Japan soon, it is very important for me to stay connected.

If you have trouble finding one ISP that provides you the service, you can always go to shopping malls or campus to stay connected at free wireless areas :p

I believe they have a service similar to EDGE here in the states, if not the same thing. Check the cell-phone companies about their wireless broadband services (PHS); there are even laptops that have such adapters built into them, since you'll be shopping for a new one.

Some articles and news about PHS services I found in a quick search:
Archived Magazine Article
Archived Magazine Article
http://www.japaninc.net/article.php?articleID=118

Of course, there's also the other option of using Wireless access points, but you should know that even metropolitan areas like Tokyo are still pretty far behind American cities in terms of wireless access. Let us know what you decide to do.

Internet connection

for me, who stays in a hotel, i think it is no problem, a few days ago i stayed in Shibuya Excel Tokyu hotel,Tokyo, there's a free LAN connection in my room and there's a coin computer for connect to the internet near the lobby, it costs 100 yen for 10 minutes.Then i went to Tsumagoi, Kakegawa, Shizuoka, in the restaurant there's a free WI FI connection..Now i'm at the Clio Court hotel near the Hakata station in Fukuoka, Kyushu. I have to rent an Air station Ethernet converter for 1000 yen.But as far as i know, not many free internet connection in cafes or restaurants here👍

Back
Top Bottom