What's new

Interested in Japanese calligraphy shop

JPSHODO

Registered
17 Nov 2015
I am Japanese who lives in Japan.

I have a question.
If there is a website that looks for and purchases Japanese calligraphy interested such as Japanese paper, brush etc for you, would it be useful for the people who are interested in studying Japanese calligraphy?

I have studied Japanese calligraphy since I was 8 years old and has quasi-master level right now.
So, it means the Japanese calligraphy items I am talking about are the REAL items that masters recommend.
I have other ideas related to Japanese calligraphy, but I would like to start with selling it.

Or is there already this kind of website?

In order to be trusted, is it better to start with eBay or Amazon?
Could you please let me know your opinion?

Thank you.

I am not sure whether there are any online stores relating to Japanese calligraphy, but a quick Google query should provide you with an overview over what's out there.

If you are planning to open an online shop I'd start out small. Amazon shops are quite inexpensive, but there are other providers, too (Etsy, Rakuten etc). Set up your own website and introduce your products and provide an introduction to Japanese calligraphy. Don't forget to use social media (FB, Twitter and also Pinterest to present your content visually).

If your website turns out to be a commercial success, you can always consider opening your own online shop.

Just my 2 JPY worth. :)

I am not sure whether there are any online stores relating to Japanese calligraphy, but a quick Google query should provide you with an overview over what's out there.

If you are planning to open an online shop I'd start out small. Amazon shops are quite inexpensive, but there are other providers, too (Etsy, Rakuten etc). Set up your own website and introduce your products and provide an introduction to Japanese calligraphy. Don't forget to use social media (FB, Twitter and also Pinterest to present your content visually).

If your website turns out to be a commercial success, you can always consider opening your own online shop.

Just my 2 JPY worth. :)

Thomas,

Thank you so much for your advice.
It's very helpful. :)
I will try the way that you taught me.

Again, I really appreciate you spent time answering my question.

I am Japanese who lives in Japan.

I have a question.
If there is a website that looks for and purchases Japanese calligraphy interested such as Japanese paper, brush etc for you, would it be useful for the people who are interested in studying Japanese calligraphy?

I have studied Japanese calligraphy since I was 8 years old and has quasi-master level right now.
So, it means the Japanese calligraphy items I am talking about are the REAL items that masters recommend.
I have other ideas related to Japanese calligraphy, but I would like to start with selling it.

Or is there already this kind of website?

In order to be trusted, is it better to start with eBay or Amazon?
Could you please let me know your opinion?

Thank you.

I did a quick search on Amazon.com and there are many sellers who sell calligraphy supplies, but not many who sell good quality supplies.

Here is a page which helps you learn about how to sell via Amazon:
Amazon Services Tutorials and Training

I did a quick search on Amazon.com and there are many sellers who sell calligraphy supplies, but not many who sell good quality supplies.

Here is a page which helps you learn about how to sell via Amazon:
Amazon Services Tutorials and Training

WonkoTheSane-san,

Thank you so much for your kind information ✨
Yes, I also thought many of Japanese calligraphy supplies in Amazon are not high quality but quite expensive.

I will study about how to sell via Amazon!

Again, thank you so much for your great information. :)

Something that I have realized through my experience has been that if you want to build a reputation with a niche shop, you have to do more than just offer stuff for sale. Anyone can resell stuff, what you bring to the table is your knowledge and passion for the things you sell. You have to be a content creator: writing detailed reviews and product descriptions; taking good photos of the products and showing them in use; making videos showing how to use them and comparing their differences; participating in social media and discussions online about--in your case--calligraphy. Become a known resource and a vocal expert on the subject, and people will trust you and associate you with that product.

Something that I have realized through my experience has been that if you want to build a reputation with a niche shop, you have to do more than just offer stuff for sale. Anyone can resell stuff, what you bring to the table is your knowledge and passion for the things you sell. You have to be a content creator: writing detailed reviews and product descriptions; taking good photos of the products and showing them in use; making videos showing how to use them and comparing their differences; participating in social media and discussions online about--in your case--calligraphy. Become a known resource and a vocal expert on the subject, and people will trust you and associate you with that product.
Nice gaijin-san,

Thank you so much for your information ✨
Your opinion was VERY helpful!
I got so excited by your idea.
Thank you very much.
\(^_^)/

glad you found it helpful; I'm very interested in this kind of project. The best businesses arise from ones' passion. And I really like calligraphy, even though I am terrible at it myself!

Back
Top Bottom