What's new

Int. Jp 2-2 君、翻訳

ledojaeger

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello,
My concerns studying today were fortunately few. But a few things I wondered about.

First is my proper translation of this conversation-setup. トム・ブラウン、留学生の吉田にキャンパスで出会う。吉田はトムが高校時代に日本留学したときの同室生。
"Tom Brown runs into an exchange student named Yoshida on campus. Yoshida was Tom's classmate when Tom studied abroad in Japan in high school."

Second is the use of 君 as 'you'.
Is it safe to use when addressing friends (between guys? What about girls?)

Third is how to understand this conversation sentence:

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
1)
Isn't there any typo in 同生?

2)
It totally depends on the relation between the speaker and the addressee. It would be the best choice to avoid using second person pronoun if it's possible.

3)
Seems like the conversation is invisible to me.;)

ledojaeger

Kouhai
Reaction score
1) yep, my brain was absolutely elsewhere. 同級生

2) Good to know. If I want to emphasize that I'm talking about you (in a conversation between me and one person), is it best to use their name?

3) Sorry, I had to retry the initial posting, and the sentence must have been lost in the process. Here it is.

Tom to Yoshida.
「君が来ることは、田中から手紙をもらって知ってたけど、いつ来るか分からなくて。」
My choppy translation: As for you coming, I knew from a letter Takada sent me, but I didn't know when you'd come...

The '...' is how I understood the ending with a te-form.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
1)
Perfect!👍

2)
Yeah, the honorific titles(e.g. 君, さん) can be used to show saying friendly or politely.

3)
Yes, that's correct, except Takada --> Tanaka.;)
The omitted part at the end of the sentence would be something like (今まで)連絡できなかったんだ/迎えに行けなかったんだ。

ledojaeger

Kouhai
Reaction score
Thank you Toritoribe! Sometimes, reading between lines and finding that omitted meaning can be tough - in any language.