What's new

Inscription on wood carving of Buddhist Amida Triad

FalconMan

Registered
8 Mar 2014
Hi,

I have a beautiful japanese wood carving of a Buddhist Amida Triad. There is a inscription on the back. I have tried to translate it myself, but I can't do it. I am thankful for all help and information!

Thank you very much!

Inscription.jpg

Dated October 8, 1668. Other than that, I'm too tired to research at the moment. Someone will be along shortly.

@FalconMan , all our team members are volunteers who devote their spare time to answering your and other members' questions. Acknowledging their follow-up questions to *your* request and showing a bit of your appreciation is the least they can expect.

開眼法下大僧都日運(probably supposed 蓮)大聖人仏師宗女刻之
寛文八戊申歳十月八日入仏壇願主宗感芳正

It's saying about the artist, the date when it's made, the one who offered to make it, but there are many mistakes in the inscribed kanji. I suppose it's fake.

Hello Toritoribe,

thank you so much for the time and work you put into this! Now I have a very good starting point for further investigations.
I mainly collect chinese antiques, but sometimes, when something is beautiful, I also buy japanese antique items. Like this one.

Thank you!

開眼法|下 = "open the eyes for an image (Buddha)", consecration ceremony
大僧都 = A high ranking priest belong to Hougen Kajou-i
日運大聖人 = an emperor reporter sage?
佛師 = buddha image maker
宗女 = female royal family (in Chinese)
刻之 = inscribed

寊(寬)文八 = Kambun Era 8th year
戊申歳十月八日 = [Lunar] Boshin year : 10th-month : 8th = [Solar] AD1668 : November : 11th(Sunday)
入佛檀 = install onto the ancestor (ash) shrine? (檀 = 壇 from a Chinese reference)
願主 = person who wished
宗感芳正= (a person/monk alias)?...宗 = ancestor, sect ...., 感 = sense, feel , 芳 = good, fragrance , 正 = right, correct

(I try to help though I'm not Japanese, infos are mostly from the internet reference
so I am not qualified to put the meanings together in to translation)

sorry for all the mistakes

@bURL Wow! Thank you so much! Thats really a lot of information I can work with. I really like to thank everyone here for the great help!

Back
Top Bottom