What's new

influence in animes??

Legato

後輩
31 Jul 2004
Ok I must start by saying that I didn't check all the threads of the forum to see if that question was ever adressed but I went to page 7 or so. If you know of a thread which treats that subject just tell me and it might satisfy my curiosity. Anyway, to get to the point, I was wondering why so many animes or mangas make heavy referneces to occidental religion. I believe that Japan is mainly shintoist or buddhist or oriental religions/philosophies oriented and still all these spiritual refernces velong to christian religion. To be more explicit let's take an example, Evangelion, the story has nothing to do with religion but many will agree that there are many similarities with the old testament. In Trigun wolfwood is a catholic (I presume) priest not too mention the angels that appear in so many animes (Angel Sanctuary, Escaflowne, X...) they don't belong in Japanese culture, do they? I'm not saying it's bad thing, not at all but I'm curious to know where did that come from or when did it start? This something I never really understood, why there is such a heavy western influence in something that wasn't originally intended for western markets, I mean the characters never looked very oriental to me and things like that, make it hard to belive it's japanese sometimes, well not with Rurouni Kenshin and other traditionnal Japan epics. Well anyway if anyone can light my lantern on this I would be grateful and if you think I can find information elsewhere just tell me. (I just feel like I would spend hours on google to look for such a thing so I might as well ask for at least a clue, no?).

:unsure:
LEGATO

I suppose it's just something new for the Japanese. It's like with english text in japanese songs - as I heard it's a sing of being modern, cool, trendy etc. If people are interested in Western culture, why not give them this in manga/anime too?

There is also the other side - Europeans/Americans etc. are interested in "Oriental culture" cause it's something different, something new.

Back
Top Bottom