What's new

In order to survive: 生きていくために or 生き残るために? what is the diffence?

AkikoKurusugawa

Registered
5 Jun 2020
Hi,
I am trying to translate the sentence: what are you willing to do to survive? I posted this in learning Japanese because I want a bit more explanation than a direct translation so that I can learn how to translate better.

I ended up translating it as: 生き残るために何を喜んでするの?

Is this correct? Or have I botched my translation? The other way I translated it was: 生きていくために何を喜んでするだろう?

I'm trying to translate it into casual Japanese for a story I am making but I am not very confident in my own translations... Is there a difference between 生きていくために and 生き残るために? In addition, should I use the particle の or だろう in this question?

Not sure I'd use 喜んでする to describe a survival situation. I get that you're trying to find the "willing to do" nuance, but this is more like "do with delight"

I think I'd only use "no" at the end of a quoted question.

As for 生きていく 🆚 生き残る, hmm the first one feels like "to continue living," or "to go on," while the second one is more of a survival or disaster situation, so it depends on the nuance you're going for. I'll defer to our native speakers.

should I use the particle の or だろう in this question?
It differs depending on the characteristic of the speaker. するの is a gentle question used often by female.
するだろう is a question to the speaker themselves "what am I willing~?" or the speaker's guess "I wonder what you are willing~", thus, you can't use it here.

Back
Top Bottom