What's new

Important things to bring

Asatira

後輩
24 Nov 2003
Hi Guys, I'm new to Japan forum, and Ive been looking through all the discussions, and what I havn't seen is an FAQ for things you need to bring to Japan, that you would need but not be able to find in Japan.
Does anyone have any suggestions? 🙂 Thank you

Osaka

I'm going to Osaka next year in February.
I'm doing the "teach english in Japan thing"
I'm lookin forward to it!😄

I heard someone say deodorant you should bring? Seemed strange that they wouldn't have that ...
Is the customs ppl strict about what you can bring?

I've heard that Japanese deodorant isn't as strong as other countries, so if you tend to sweat a lot I would bring your own from back home.

If by chance you have curly hair (like me!) I recommend you bring your own shampoo and conditioner. Japanese shampoo's etc are made for a totally different kind of hair and dries out /damages sensitive curly hair ;)

"If by chance you have curly hair (like me!) I recommend you bring your own shampoo and conditioner. Japanese shampoo's etc are made for a totally different kind of hair and dries out /damages sensitive curly hair"

Speaking of hair... Well, this is probably of no use to you but I shave my head every two weeks. When I used to go to a Japanese Barber, cheapest I could find was about 2500 yen a pop (for something that took 5-10 minutes to do). I bought an electric one myself and saved a ton of money in the long run heh. Grats btw on your Osaka appointment. Best of luck and have fun! I love that city...
:)

Thanks, Frank, I will!
Im actually thinking of doing a website and/or a blog for my friends back home... should be cool :D

Speaking of hair... Well, this is probably of no use to you but I shave my head every two weeks. When I used to go to a Japanese Barber, cheapest I could find was about 2500 yen a pop (for something that took 5-10 minutes to do). I bought an electric one myself and saved a ton of money in the long run heh.

Even going to Bo Rics (U.S. chain-ten) in the U.S. every two weeks would get pretty costly. I don't even like to go for a haircut without a coupon and I usually go at least six weeks between haircuts.

In Tokyo, if you keep your eye out, you can find places that cost Y1000-Y1500. A very good deal compared to the cheapest places in the U.S.

Some things I usually make space to bring.

Toothpaste with flouride.
Contact lens solution and eye drops (solution can be really expensive and I just like my brand of eye drops too much)
Cold meds not restricted by customs (Sudafed is restricted, last time I checked. Japanese cold medicines just don't do it for me. Some even make me feel worse!).
Deodorant. What they say is true for me. Japanese deodorant doesn't cut it.
Sun block - they have it here, but in small bottles for a lot of money.
Over the counter allergy meds.
Things dealing with the gut, intestines, and the stuff produced therein. When I am sick, I like to go with what I know.
I have yet to find a thing that hold a candle to Sucrets[sic?] for sore throats in Japan.

Take some stuff in you bags and then sea-mail yourself a big box of things you like. You will probably end up spending less money for the same types of things and you will know that they will work for you. Enjoy your trip!

also a tooth brush!!!deodrant spray as its very humid! and also remember to take protection if ya into that sort of thing !

"Cold meds not restricted by customs (Sudafed is restricted, last time I checked. Japanese cold medicines just don't do it for me. Some even make me feel worse!)."
1680 yen for contac (box of 20)
980 yen for ten aspirin
got rid of one headache, created another

"Deodorant. What they say is true for me. Japanese deodorant doesn't cut it."
not even the body paper? i thought that was the

"Take some stuff in your bags and then sea-mail yourself a big box of things you like. You will probably end up spending less money for the same types of things and you will know that they will work for you. Enjoy your trip!"

Back
Top Bottom