What's new

Imperial verbs/sentences

Heyyaa

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that when you ask someone to do something, you usually add ‘kudasai’ or ‘onegaishimasu’ at the end of the sentence. However, this seems a bit to formal for some situations, and I’ve heard people omit them in their sentences. So what might be a more casual way of asking someone to do something in Japanese?

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Bear in mind that there is indeed a formality in Japan that doesn't exist in English. In other words, its OK to be somewhat formal, even among friends and colleagues and family members - especially when you are asking them to do something for you. Formality is embedded into the language, and its not unnatural in any way. Trying to be casual can, in fact, make you sound imperious.

In addition to ~kudasai or ~onegaishimasu (note these are not exactly interchangeable) you could pose as a question, which might have a softening effect

~kudasaimasu ka?
~onegai dekimasu ka?

~してもらえますか? "Can you do (something) for me?" is also fairly neutral, but depending on the relationship of the asker and the do-er, there could be an implication of presumption.

But, I suggest you embrace the formality.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
The -te form of verbs works as a request between close friends or family members. Some sentence final particles such like "yo" or "ne" can be attached with it. You can also use non-polite form of "kudasai" "~te kure" or "~te kurenai ka" as well.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
Heyyaa,

You used the term "Imperial verbs/sentences". Are you aware there is special vocabulary to be used only when speaking to the Japanese Emperor?