What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

I'm not sure how to do my name in katakana

ImNotJapanese

先輩
Reaction score
Heya, I finally stopped lurking to ask a question: How would I write my name in Katakana? I just don't know which characters I should use... mainly because my last name's a little too german :p

My name is Mike Wilhide.

I really have no basis of understanding for how western names are written... so I haven't tried to do this myself (not sure where to begin, or where to get the info).

Thanks!

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
My guess is マイク・ウイルハイド, but I'm not sure if I got the pronunciation of your last name correct.

ImNotJapanese

先輩
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds about right (sounds like it's spelled, will-hide). I was always just confused about how to do the W, I never thought to use U. Thanks a ton :D

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
By the way, I didn't realize it until after I had posted and never got around to telling you, but perhaps ウィ is better for the "w." I'm not sure that it makes too much of a difference, but it may make enough of one.

Eve

Sempai
Reaction score
arnt all japanese names are spelled in kanjis preferably?

The7thSamurai

Master of the Universe
Reaction score

Not Western names - you'd have issues with which character to choose as a many kanji can have the same sound, and kanji also have a meaning attached to them as well. I have known people who have done it but it always turns out to be a bit strange.

Tsuyoiko

DON'T PANIC!
Reaction score
Bucko said:

Not Western names - you'd have issues with which character to choose as a many kanji can have the same sound, and kanji also have a meaning attached to them as well. I have known people who have done it but it always turns out to be a bit strange.

There is another thread about this: My name in Kanji | Japan Forum

Eve

Sempai
Reaction score
ah ok, but i watched this show where these two ppl interviewed morgan freeman and hilary swank and wrote their name in kanji and gave it to them as a gift. what i see is that they were direct translations. so yea thats why i was curious

Top Bottom