What's new

I'm not sure how to do my name in katakana

ImNotJapanese

先輩
22 May 2003
Heya, I finally stopped lurking to ask a question: How would I write my name in Katakana? I just don't know which characters I should use... mainly because my last name's a little too german :p

My name is Mike Wilhide.

I really have no basis of understanding for how western names are written... so I haven't tried to do this myself (not sure where to begin, or where to get the info).

Thanks!

My guess is マイク・ウイルハイド, but I'm not sure if I got the pronunciation of your last name correct.

Yeah that sounds about right (sounds like it's spelled, will-hide). I was always just confused about how to do the W, I never thought to use U. Thanks a ton :D

By the way, I didn't realize it until after I had posted and never got around to telling you, but perhaps ウィ is better for the "w." I'm not sure that it makes too much of a difference, but it may make enough of one.

arnt all japanese names are spelled in kanjis preferably?

Not Western names - you'd have issues with which character to choose as a many kanji can have the same sound, and kanji also have a meaning attached to them as well. I have known people who have done it but it always turns out to be a bit strange.

Bucko said:
arnt all japanese names are spelled in kanjis preferably?

Not Western names - you'd have issues with which character to choose as a many kanji can have the same sound, and kanji also have a meaning attached to them as well. I have known people who have done it but it always turns out to be a bit strange.

There is another thread about this: My name in Kanji | Japan Forum

ah ok, but i watched this show where these two ppl interviewed morgan freeman and hilary swank and wrote their name in kanji and gave it to them as a gift. what i see is that they were direct translations. so yea thats why i was curious

Back
Top Bottom