What's new

I'm kind worried about the weeboos

24 Jan 2015
I apologize if weeboo is an insulting term, I used it for the lack of better word since I'm not referring to all anime lovers and I need a succinct, well-known description. Just remember that I mean no harm.
I don't watch anime so I don't know what kind of message they spread. Just to clarify, I've got nothing against Japan or its culture. I've got quite a few friends who like anime in a normal way (hence the choice of weeboo since my post doesn't target the anime fan base as a whole). But the trend I've been noticing these days is worrying.
I've seen more and more people coming out to defend Japan on some ridiculous issues. Just search for any Pearl Harbor documentary and you will see, there are sooo many people (who claim that they're Americans) saying that Pearl Harbor was an JUSTIFIED attack on the US!!! The only possible reasons for someone to make such preposterous claim would be 1) the person is in fact a right wing Japanese, or 2) more likely, a non-Japanese (possibly an American) who's too deep in love with Japan and is willing to defend it from everything. I took the liberty of checking these people's youtube activities, and most of them are anime and manga stuff, which strengthen no.2's possibility.
Assuming you learned the correct history (don't know what people in Japan learn about this period), US put an oil embargo (which the weeboos use to put the blame on the US) because Japan was ALREADY engaging in aggressive imperialist expansions in Asia for years now, and the casualties was already in the millions, and it was the SOLE reason why they needed oil desperately. So regardless of whether the US had any ulterior motives, it was an JUSTIFIED act simply by virtue of its effect in slowing down Japanese invasions. People have been calling me an ultra nationalist and American imperialist for believing this. LOL.
If you also think that's the case, why don't we move onto a subject that doesn't involve the US at all?
Japanese history and culture. Search for any documentary on Japan and you will likely find people claiming how much they love Japanese culture or inserting random Japanese words in the comments or having an anime profile pic, etc. Nothing's wrong with that, but....Japan's modern culture is so attractive to the extent that it apparently has the ability of changing its past history and culture as well. So many weeboos believe that Japan is the supreme civilization and has the best history and culture in the world, and just suggesting that this may not be the case got me a bunch of indignant replies throwing stuffs like "how old is the US history??", "US ain't even a country before Japan did this n that" etc. in my face. Seriously? How indoctrinated by Japanese culture must these people be to be so sensitive to truth, that Japan is far from being the greatest civilization of all time?
So here I am, humbly asking your opinions on these cases, begging for an answer on what are some of the reasons why these people behave like this, and most importantly, what kind of influence is Japanese culture exerting on our people.
I hope you Japanese experts can help me out.
Much appreciated.

They became extinct here on JREF several years ago. They interbred among themselves in threads on anime and JPOP , but faded away . A lone weeaboo may wander in once in a great while , but they are like a lonely unicorn and drift off. Pretty much all the members here come to discuss attending "serious" schools in Japan or they are "serious" students of correct Japanese , not the crap in anime. The music JPOP crowd was strong for a year or two , but have been gone quite a while. There were a lot of debates over all areas of Japanese history over the years and no one here seemed to be rabid one way or the other. There were a few far left & far right members who were cement solid in their beliefs , but when they couldn't brainwash others to believe like they did , they gave up and left. So....all in all , the group here now a days is pretty well grounded and normal. JREF tends to be here to answer questions about anything and everything to do with Japan in a very down to earth way. Maybe some of our members can give you the names of more "wacko" websites with the type of people you are disturbed about.

They became extinct here on JREF several years ago. They interbred among themselves in threads on anime and JPOP , but faded away . A lone weeaboo may wander in once in a great while , but they are like a lonely unicorn and drift off. Pretty much all the members here come to discuss attending "serious" schools in Japan or they are "serious" students of correct Japanese , not the crap in anime. The music JPOP crowd was strong for a year or two , but have been gone quite a while. There were a lot of debates over all areas of Japanese history over the years and no one here seemed to be rabid one way or the other. There were a few far left & far right members who were cement solid in their beliefs , but when they couldn't brainwash others to believe like they did , they gave up and left. So....all in all , the group here now a days is pretty well grounded and normal. JREF tends to be here to answer questions about anything and everything to do with Japan in a very down to earth way. Maybe some of our members can give you the names of more "wacko" websites with the type of people you are disturbed about.
Thanks for your answer. I didn't come here looking for weeboos lol, I think you misunderstood that. I came here to ask serious people who know a lot about Japan what makes non-Japanese behaving in these ways. I was curious to know if anime can have such influence, which basically makes them the best and most effective propaganda tool ever.
I was just here to seek some expert opinions, it wasn't my intention to look for fight :p

I came here to ask serious people who know a lot about Japan what makes non-Japanese behaving in these ways. I was curious to know if anime can have such influence, which basically makes them the best and most effective propaganda tool ever.
I think there is more than one answer, and we may never actually pinpoint any that are truly correct.

Are some anime freaks deluded into thinking Japan is the best place in the world? yes. some.
Why does that happen? hard to say. for males, it might be a sexual thing depending on the anime and the way characters are drawn. for females, I have no idea.

Whatever the true answer, why do you seem to care so strongly, may I ask? (As Frank wrote, we don't see much of that anymore here.)

I think there is more than one answer, and we may never actually pinpoint any that are truly correct.

Are some anime freaks deluded into thinking Japan is the best place in the world? yes. some.
Why does that happen? hard to say. for males, it might be a sexual thing depending on the anime and the way characters are drawn. for females, I have no idea.

Whatever the true answer, why do you seem to care so strongly, may I ask? (As Frank wrote, we don't see much of that anymore here.)
Because if this is true, Japan has achieved something extraordinary, by being able to attract foreigners and potentially manipulate them (don't know if this is actually the case, but let's just say that I'm not very happy to see fellow Americans siding with Japan in the debate about Pearl Harbor and WW2 in general) . A lot of countries have trouble making their own citizens patriotic, let alone foreigners lol. I mean seriously, these guys are just die-hard Japan fans. I can't imagine myself blindly loving my own country this much to the extent of losing rationality. Doesn't this fascinate you? :D
Sorry but I didn't understand the reason you provided, the part about sexual thing for males? o_O don't know if you made a typo or what but I had no clue about that part with how anime are drawn...I'm just really confused. Don't bother to elaborate though, I've got what I came for ;) thanks.

Back
Top Bottom