What's new

I'm Baaaaaaaaack

Scott

後輩
25 Jun 2002
Woah. Haven't been on the net in what seems like ages. I've been so busy. I'm so glad to finally get back to the forum! I'm also working on a brand new site chock FULL of thousands of different J-POP/J-ROCK lyrics in both romaji and Japanese characters. I also may be putting mp3's and mpg's on it. Who knows though? Anyways, I'm glad to be back! 957 posts since I've last been here! gotta get postin, tomorrow. ^-^

welcome back Scott🙂 wow your where busy
974 posts to catch up on (hehe) and I thought 76 was bad,lol:p

Sweet!

A while back I was looking for a lyrics site and didn't come up with much at all. I can't wait. It'll save me the trouble of looking up all the kanji.

:D

Thanks Debs! Haha yeah moyashi...if you give me some specific songs you're looking for and the artist I can make sure that they're included. :)

Hi Scott,

welcome back!! :)

Good luck with your site, please keep us posted.

hmmm,
anzen chitai
hirai ken
glay
Hotei

Basicaly a bunch of male singers since well, I'm a guy ;)

hehe, thanks

Okay cool! I already have plenty of Glay and Ken Hirai and I'll be sure to add some Anzen Chitai and Hotei. Lots more male singers are included already. I'm looking at starting out with a romaji lyrics database of a little over 1,300. With adding new romaji lyrics almost everyday, that number will increase rapidly. :)

Do you have a beta site up yet?

Also, having the orginal Japanese lyrics would be helpful even if most can't read Japanese.

Way back in the stone age, before I could read lot's of Japanese. I'd get my hands on romanized lyrics (bugged a lot of my Japanese friends) then I'd memorize the song. Problem, is that I'm pretty off key and have bad rythm and would depend on the Japanese for keeping me in the right part of the song.

good luck

Yes, I was debating whether or not to include the original Japanese lyrics. The thing that makes me not just go ahead and do it is that I read somewhere that its illegal to put up the original Japanese lyrics. Is that true? Sorry! No beta up yet. The site will be in English and Japanese.

Copyrights.... uhm, good question. Any © experts around?

I think it doesn't make a difference whether you list romaji and original lyrics or just the romaji version. I am quite sure that the original Japanese lyrics are only protected in Japan.

The same applies to anime-related images: they are usually only protected in Japan.

I see if I can find more info (which of course should not be considered legal advice).

Doh, that's right. Probably explains why I've never found a lyrics site in Japan.

Although, the Japanese are very strange about copyrights. They have video / CDE rental shops and have cassettes, MDs, and blank CDRs right up by the cash register.

strange

Haha moyashi. That indeed is very strange. Okay, Thomas! Let me know if you find anything. If I can get away with it without any real legal troubles, I'll be sure to include the original Japanese lyrics as well. Right, now I'm just in the very beginning phases of planning out a layout. Hopefully it will turn out well!

Well, you could do what many sites used to do.

Just do it. Then when the legal stop letters start coming, post about your problem at some news sites, remove the problem company lyrics and watch hits to your site increase.

hmmm, to pay for the bandwidth you could target the music industry itself and offer advertising slots for new releases and what not. I really can't see why posting lyrics is a bad thing, while doing MP3 is much worse.

hmmmm

Mm good idea! I'll be sure to put the original Japanese lyrics now. I'll prob be using webspace that my ISP provides for free. I'll have about 275mb total space for my site. I'll be using www.tk for redirerction, unless my site gets really popular. Thanks thomas! Yes I'm aware of some of my competitors and hope to become the number one source for romaji j-pop lyrics in no time ;) We'll just have to see! I'm going to really concetrate on creating a professional, and eye appealing design this weekend, and hopefully finish most of it if not all by Monday. Wish me luck!

Muaha almost done with the design! I've been slaving away since I got home. I found a nice little way to encorporate tasty pixiliezed Japanese foods into the design. ;)

Let us know once you have your beta up and running. You should consider registering your own domain, redirection through .tk domains can be pretty slow at times. Besides, domain registration isn't expensive (~$10/year).

You running a database or just html pages? If a database would you mind my asking?

I agree with Thomas. Eventhough, webspace and what not can be a bit of an expense for just a hobby. A registered domain name at least would be good I think. My ISP with some arm twisting let me use my domain name on my site. It's just a simple alias setting on the server after all but some places can be shits about this though.

good luck from me too Scott, hope all goes well for you in the future, and keep us posted🙂

UPDATE:

Completed:

-Have created and completed a rather attractive (in my opinion) layout
-Have finished the splash, and front page
-Have gathered over 1,350 Romaji lyrics and their original Japanese counterparts
-Have created several artist profiles that will be updated on a biweekly basis
-Have established my very own ftp server for sharing hundreds of different J-POP and J-ROCK mp3's and mpg's

Needs to be Completed:
-Create the other pages of the site
-Create a Japanese language version of the entire site

ETA: The end of this week.

About purchasing my own domain.. I was considering doing that but I'm not ready to just yet. I don't want to purchase a domain right off the bat and have my site bomb out and waste money. If the site does indeed become popular, however, I will most likely purchase a domain.

One little problem. I am constructing the site in 1024 x 768, and I decided to see what it would look like in 800 x 600 screen resolution. Much to my disapointment, most of the things are squished together and out of place on 800 x 600. Does anyone know a way I could fix this?

About the Japanese language version of the site..I have a few people helping me already since I am not that advance in my Japanese, yet. If you would possibly be available for translating some paragraphs and what not into Japanese, I would HIGHLY appreciate it and note it on the site. Just let me know.

Hopefully, by the end of this weekend, the site will make its debut.

Glad to hear that you're about to launch your site!

Scott, if you need assistance, just send a PM to Moyashi or me, we'll be glad to take a look at your page. As for the screen resolution: use fixed table widths like we do here at the forum and also check your site in lower resolutions.

Geee scott you have been busy!, looking forward to seeing the finished product, good luck🙂

hmmm, fixed widths hamper those on lower resolution. My buddy kept bitching about that until I switched everything over to percentages. You could always try both!

I'm using fixed tables throughout all of our pages, no risk. I admit I'm designing for 800x600 and 1024x768 resolutions only. A lot of people still browse on 600x480, happy horizontal scrolling...
:)

Back
Top Bottom