What's new

Ichi the Killer

Nothingness

and total Randomness!!!
12 Mar 2004

Yakuza boss Anjo disappears with 100 million yens. His loyal gang members, lead by the masochist Kakihara, start a search, but their aggressive and gory methods worry the other yakuza gangs. Kakiharas most scary counterpart is the mysterious Ichi, a psychopathic killer with a dark childhood secret, who is controlled by a retired yakuza boss.

Another movie i'm getting. I hear that it has lots of blood and gore

I wrote a review for this film:

Ichi The Killer (Koroshiya Ichi)

Director - Takashi Miike
Starring - Tadanobu Asano, Sabu, Shinya Tsukamoto, Alien Sun
Running Time - 129 mins
Year - 2001
Genre - Thriller

ichi.jpg

Synopsis

After the disappearance of the Anjo gang's boss, right-hand man Kakihara (played by Tadanobu Asano) seizes the opportunity to root out the culprit from within the yakuza with a series of deranged, imaginative torture methods leading him ultimately to the mysterious figure known only as "Ichi".

Ichi is an emotional mess, less a super-hero more a volatile mix of Freudian psychosis and mental manipulation led by the ever guiding mind games of Jiji (Shinya Tsukamoto), one by one the gang members fall at the hands of both Ichi and Kakihara, clearing a path in which the two will undoubtedly meet.

Review

It is unlikely that this will be the first review you will have read for Takashi Miike's wildly infamous Ichi The Killer. One of the most talked-about and highly anticipated films from Japan, Ichi is a gruelling, extreme, yet ultimately rewarding experience. I first heard about the existence of Miike's film through one of my lecturers who had exhibited a short film at a festival in Europe. I had just seen Audition and was left stuck for words, he had just seen Ichi and had met the man behind it. There is no deeper shade of green that can convey my envy.

Like many, I first saw Ichi in its edited form, imported from Hong Kong, they may have shorn 15 minutes of its running time but it still had a power of its own. Again, I found myself overwhelmed. But now, with its recent release uncut, I have once more re-visited Ichi's world, this time as Miike intended - 129* minutes of sheer visceral excess. And so, here is what I have to say.

A far cry from the accusations made by the BBFC, Ichi is much more than an exercise in repulsion. Sure it is graphically violent and it's not going to be to everyone's taste, but the events that unfold throughout Ichi do have some grounding and a purpose to propel the story along - it's not as some would argue just a series of sadistic sequences set to shock.

Takashi Miike is an intelligent filmmaker and is considered by many as a director who likes to play with audiences perceptions. It is a credit to his abilities as a storyteller that regardless of our pre-conceived knowledge of his style that we are continuously surprised as he takes control over us like marionettes. And while in Audition, it was through an unexpected terror, and in DOA through a genre destroying final reel, in Ichi, the concern is purely on our acceptance of violence, our voyeurism and our conscience. Miike will test us all to the limit.

Throughout Ichi we are left with only two choices - we either laugh at the violence or sit silently disturbed. It's almost as if Miike is fine-tuning our moral sensibilities mixing moments of extreme over the top comic book violence for laughs with grittily realistic portraits of abuse that leave you with more than just a nasty taste in the mouth. By constantly shifting the tone of the film we find ourselves in a schizophrenic state of pleasure and repulsion - it is a sign of the power that Miike's film has that we can move from being disturbed to be amused in a matter of seconds. It's an incredibly jarring experience that seems to have made it difficult for some to accept. And while some find this intrusive approach to be too much to recommend, settling for the easy approach of lambasting the film with the expected cries of vulgarity, the truth is that Miike has created a film that has the ability to challenge our own moral code, it has the ability to make us feel disgusted with ourselves.

And so, for every moment that shocks you into submission, hiding behind your fingers, you will still peep through the gaps, if only to catch a glimpse of what you really shouldn't be seeing. Such is the sheer ferocity of Miike's film that at the simple mention of such threats as a "split and pierced penis" you do not doubt for a moment that you won't see it. Whether you do or not, I'll leave you to find out for yourself - albeit through your fingers.

And so we come to another focal point of criticism, that being the sexually violent aspects of the film and its treatment of women. Now, the BBFC has commented on them being exploitative, gratuitous and serving no other purpose other than to titillate and arouse male viewers.

Bullshit.

I'm sorry for relying upon an expletive for an immediate response but I take great offence in their accusation. The rationale being that anyone who chooses to defend this film in its uncut form is a misogynistic pervert is more offensive than anything in Miike's film. The scenes in question are not titillating, they are disturbing, the camera never lingers and Miike has filmed each sequence in a horrific yet responsible way. Where some may find offence is in their inclusion within the comic book style of the rest of the film, the way in which we find ourselves laughing at the closing stages of a scene only to find ourselves shamefully sobered up immediately by the start of the next. Yes - it is controversial stuff, but it says so much about our attitudes towards violence that it makes the film essential viewing.

Another criticism suggests that Miike's film and its handling of women are misogynistic, however, I disagree - the violence in Ichi The Killer is asexual and favours no one regardless of sex or race. It astonishes me that the BBFC are so keen to cut the sexual violence yet are more than happy to pass the prolonged male-on-male torture uncut. It's hypocrisy at its worse.

And so we come to the technical aspects of Ichi The Killer, shot in three weeks, Miike has achieved a film that is nothing short of genius. Overwhelming viewers with his now trademark excesses the cinematography is a first-class mixing computer-aided effects with pure technical know-how brilliantly painting Shinjuku to present an alternate reality that is garishly coloured, and beautifully textured. There are images from this film that will stick with you forever, such as the iconic importance of Ichi - whether it be the acts of violence, or the symbolic yellow 1 emblazoned on our ambiguous hero's back the quality of the film is superb rising it way above the "splatter movie" style it has been unjustifiably labelled with.

The acting is first-rate, with Tadanobu Asano providing cinemas most frightening villain to date - this is not the camp, theatrical style of Hannibal - this is a real man who takes great enjoyment from giving and receiving pain. Never raising his voice, never widening his eyes, he takes extreme sadism in his stride and as such exudes a feeling of intensity with every scene that he is in. His indifference to those around him, combined with his wonderfully bizarre appearance makes for one of the most electrifying characters committed to celluloid.

Also worthy of mention is Nao Omori who gives a suitably strained, emotionally wrought performance as the chaotic mess of Ichi. Bursting uncontrollably into tears, taking great delight in the sexual violence he witnesses - Ichi is a psychologist dream subject a psychological mess of a man the fact that he is our hero for the film is a brilliant spin on the superhero genre. A far cry from the vengeance/justice-seeking heroes of Batman or Spiderman - Ichi is a more realistic portrayal of the effects of a violent society, he is the creation of isolation, restraint, and sexual frustration - he is a nightmarish vision - he is our hero.

Supporting the two central figures are some fine performances from directors Shinya Tsukamoto who revels in his role as the mind-bending hypnotist Jiji and comedian/director Sabu as the down on his luck cop Kaneko. Both provide the essential support with performances contrasting fierce intensity with bizarre hilarity. Jiji's transformation is just one of many fine comic moments that make Ichi such a wildly original experience. Combined with this the multiple characters who drift throughout the storyline with their own clearly defined eccentricities, and you have a cinematic experience you are unlikely to forget.

Even with the length of this review running increasingly long there is much to say about the highlights of the film - all of which spring to mind with the sheer originality on display - tempura, dog ears, ramen, bodybuilding, television, webcams, an unbalanced boss, tongue, arm, PlayStation, detective twins, mobile phones - to the uninitiated it would seem like a random string of words - but to those who have seen and experienced Ichi it is a collection of bullet points - stand out moments far too many to cover in such a short space.

Miike has created an incredible film that is brutal, uncompromising, and challenging. On one hand, it is an excessive comic book film preoccupied with violence, on the other, it is an indictment on our de-sensitized acceptance of the vile, of the vulgar. A lot of people are going to be offended by the content of Ichi The Killer, particularly as it challenges its audience so directly, but let it be known that whether or not we choose to watch it, we must be entitled to make that decision for ourselves. After all, we are capable, if we feel the need, to just switch off.

Highly recommended for those who can take it.

Great, deeply misunderstood film that has an uncompromising approach to violence - superb cinematography, great soundtrack, excellent performances (Asano is outstanding) it's very hard going and is definitely not to all tastes - but highly recommended.

Well I think i'm getting the hong kong version... so I think it will be cut.

is the uncut version worth getting or...

Nothingness said:
Another movie i'm getting. I hear that it has lots of blood and gore
I can also recommend the film! It has lots of blood and gore, true.
I also have the uncut version, which is great...In fact, I didn't know there was a cut version until I got the "uncut" one...

I'd avoid the HK release as it is the most severely cut version available (with over 15 mins of footage cut) the UK release has (2 - 3 mins cut - which in turn makes the films depiction of sexual violence even more shocking) - the DUTCH release, and the US (Unrated) release are both uncut - its a coin toss between which is the best though as they both vary in terms of quality extras.

The US R1 has (imo) the best extra with a subtitled audio commentary by Miike, but the Dutch release is packed with interviews and behind the scenes featurettes.

I've had to get this film too many times having originally bought the HK R3 when it first came out.

Hope you like the film.

Don't get the cut version of this movie or any movie. It makes no sense that movies are cut to pieces. Enjoy the movie as it was meant to be.
Great review btw ghevans

Well I order the movie just for $10, so I can't complain too much. Well I try to get the uncut version.

(Next week the movie will come in)

Here are my full thoughts on this classic Miike film!

When a movie starts with the title rising in a puddle of the result of one's self-gratification, you know you're in for quite a ride. Bodies sliced in half, nipples butchered from the breast, tongues diced in two and all the masochistic fun under the sun. You want me to stop there, didn't think so! In this Yakuza meets serial killer showdown, director Takashi Miike unleashes his arsenal, overflowing the cup with violence and gore. Don't mistake this for another sloppy affair though, with precision Miike controls everything bit of this film with style and grace. Parents, this doesn't mean it's ok to let your kids sit down and watch this. No way! This is pure adult viewing fun. That's if you're stomach can handle the guts being splattered across the screen. It's all not just about the violence and gore though, Miike manages to incorporated the right amount of action and character-driven dialogue. Smooth edits and racy music also contribute to the fast pace of ICHI. Japanese Manga seems to be getting more popular with Japanese directors due to their easy transition to the big screen.

m_ichi4.jpg

Our story begins with a man savagely beating a female stripper near death and being spied on by ICHI. Who is getting off to the violence in front of his eyes? Quite a way to introduce one of the many characters, if you will, but you wouldn't expect any less from Miike. Next, it's discovered that the boss of the Yakuza gang, Anjo, has disappeared with one million Yen close behind him. The masochistic underboss Kakihara decides to search for him. His unorthodox ways of dealing with those guilty have the other Yakuza gangs in the wonder of his methods. They decide to ban or kick him and Anjo out of the circle. This, however, doesn't stop Kakihara from searching for his boss. Little do they know that there's a third party secretly in the fold, pitting the gangs up against each other. One that carries the key and the killer, ICHI. Taught to kill those who bullied him when he was a kid, or at least conned into believing they are, ICHI goes on a rampage, only living hordes of blood and guts behind. When all the secrets are revealed, and Kakihara finds out that ICHI is behind all the killing, including their boss, they go head to head, and only one comes out alive!

m_ichi5.jpg

The main element of ICH is Miike's incredible ability to build characters from scratch and let them flourish. This, of course, is helped greatly by the great casting job done as well. Starting with Japanese hot commodity, Tadanobu Asano as Kakihara. Giving him the blond hair, the two slits on each side of his mouth, being held together with two hoop piercings and giving him the Yakuza power. Asano seems to be in his own environment, playing this part with ease. Sly, sadistic and crude, there's no mistaking him for being one to shy away from pain. Cutting the tip of his own tongue and having a conversation on his cell phone shortly after will have you in stitches. His fetish for giving and taking pain is displayed when he is tipped off by Jijii, played by Shinya Tsukamoto(director of Tetsuo and Tokyo Fist). The victim is another gang member, his treatment, his naked body being pierced with hooks all over and held up with chains. That's not all. When that doesn't seem to work, Kakihara takes it to the next level. He pours boiling hot water on the gang member's back and head. The giving and taking of pain are evenly distributed throughout the whole film.

Our other main character ICHI played by Nao Omori, is again played to a tee. Shy, naive, but on edge, Omori showing tons of emotion in many of ICHI's scenes. Often tearful and scared, he is quick to snap and kill at the drop of this boot. Ah, but that boot isn't just a boot. It has a nice size blade attached. Not to forget, it's responsible for chopping a man in half, slaughtering a whole room full of Yakuza and the gashing of a few throats in the process. Sure, ICHI's got a problem, but it's controlled or, shall I say, manipulated by the strings of retired Yakuza boss Jijii. Of course, the best is saved for last, the showdown between our two main characters, ICHI and Kakihara.

In-between our two main characters are a whole arsenal of the great support cast. The lovely Chinese star Alien Sun (Paulyn Sun) for one is a bonus. Her charismatic, sexy, sleazy body language, accompanied by her great looks, is a break from all the violence and gore being thrown around. Speaking in English, Cantonese and Japanese, she exhibits her talent gracefully. Not to mention her very sleek body features. Miike also propped up his cast with Japanese cult director Shinya Tsukamoto, best known for such classics as Tetsuo and Tokyo Fist. He plays the very quiet ICHI ringleader Jijii, pulling his strings from a distance. Ratting out other gang members to Kakihara, resulting in severe torture. The interesting attribute of Jijii is his well-hidden rack of muscles the special effects crew blue screen him on to. Funny seeing this rather small ratty-looking character who opens up his trench coat and bang outcomes this beefed-up muscle-bound Japanese version of Conan.

With a large budget to work with, Miike makes good use of computer-generated images. Everything from scenery to blood, guts and a very uniquely staged opening credits. Surely, ICHI has to display some of the most effort put into a Miike film to date, not to mention one of the gorier attempts as well. One cannot help but be hooked into the addiction fed by the great score. This is one area I'm still pursuing, the soundtrack, a must after watching this film...the score throughout it becomes nothing more than a tease. This film is best viewed uncut and uninterrupted...

m_ichi6.jpg

After first watching the Hong Kong Cat 3 DVD and being cut, I was in hot pursuit of the Worldwide Cinema 2 discs upon release. Finally, the wait is over, and ICHI uncut and in all, its gory glory was not a wait in vain by any means. This 2 discs special edition is jam-packed with goodies, interviews, trailers, behind the scenes looks, and so much more. A very extended and in-depth interview with Miike gives you just enough to pick his brain on how and why ICHI came about. Also, along with the Miike interview, several other interviews with Tadanobu Asano, Shinya Tsukamoto and Alien Sun. Two trailers to feast your eyes on and the original Japanese trailer and the European promo trailer as well. The extras are like walking into a maze, with other rooms attached, those rooms having more extras includes. A Japanese Press Kit with sectioned Miike interview on several aspects of the film. Storyboard to film gallery and photo gallery tell you almost the whole story of ICHI without even watching the film again. Presented in Anamorphic widescreen 16:9, it offers you to either watch the film in its original state in the Japanese language (5.1 Dolby Digital) with English subs, or you can torture yourself even more by deciding to watch it dubbed in English (4.0 Dolby Digital), now that is a fair early warning! It also carries Dutch subs as well. This is clearly one of the best DVDs of 2003!

Ichi is an absolutely excellent movie, I currently have the three-disc UK collectors edition, which is pretty brutal, but I really want the full uncut dutch version a friend of mine has (every time I see him, he's lent it to someone else) to make sure you watch the credits to see kakihara with the rings out of his cheeks. But if the violence in ichi isn't enough for you to track down a Chinese movie (published by manga in the UK) called the story of Ricky (Riki oh), even by my standards (and that's a high bar) its rather shocking, definitely worth a watch!

I personally found Story of Ricky more fun, slapstick violence than anything else - particularly the rubber monster effects at the end - lol.

If we're talking extreme movies here though they dont come much more extreme than the Guinea Pig movies from japan (Flowers of Flesh and Blood being the most gruesome), also a film "Red Room" (which by the sounds of things is a film best to avoid unless you're a total gorehound) and finally two chinese films "Men Behind The Sun" and "Untold Story" are notorious for their depictions of violence.

All of the above however, are pretty much violence purely for the sake of being violent - in Ichi although the violence was horrible and downright disturbing i felt it had a purpose and as such was justified though I know a lot of people (BBFC in particular) would disagree.

Is it good? There's an anime called Ichi the killer to, isn't there, wot's better?

Last edited:
Jo Rose said:
Is it good? There's an anime called Ichi the killer to, isn't there, wot's better?
didn't know that.. I'd say Ichi is the best of Miike's movies.. atleast of the ones I've seen so far.. what's the name of that rather new one again with the samurai that rapes mother earth and jumps through time?.. I forget.. the name of the movie is the name of that samurai... Haven't seen that one..

I'd avoid the anime - didnt really shed any light on the story and the only bonus for seeing it is that they kept the character designs from Hideo Yamamoto's original manga. Still its a lot better than the V-Cinema offering of 1-Ichi a prequel shot on DV with Teah, Nao Omori, and Koji Chihara (he's excellent in this but the film falls way too short of Miike's).

As for the new Miike film - it's called Izo and as much as I love Miike its just not a very good film at all. It should be a 20 minute short film but its been stretched for all its worth with a series of repeititious samurai sword wielding slayings that go from being badly choreographed at the beginning to being badly choreographed and boring after 2hrs of the same. Yes there is a message on the everlasting cycle of violence in us humans and yes the repetition does serve that purpose but that doesnt stop the film from being surprisingly dull and pretentious. I can handle a film having a message it wants to convey but surely it should also be entertaining too? Unfortunately Izo was far too haphazard and far too clumsily put together (painfully long interludes of a folk singer really grate after the 2nd song) to be successful.

Worth a watch for completists - but im doubtful it will warrant a second viewing though. Shame as the trailer looked quite impressive.

I'll take your word for it.
It is usually the case with cinematic "artists" like miike that once they gain a certain measure of fame and recognition, they think they can't do anything wrong and become, as you said, pretentious.

i want to see this, ive seen the anime and thought it was amazing so do you think i'd like the movie?

I thought the film was a very black comedy. The violence and gore in some scenes made me laugh. It didn't make turn away or anything like that. I think it was done partially tongue in cheek (no pun intended). There was some touching parts, especially at the end when the man hanged himself after he realised what he had done to Ichi and made him what he was.
It is based on a very violent manga and I was surprised to find the film. The anime film isn't as good though, but animation allows the director to do more with his characters physically wise.

there's a lot advice and opinion about this movie...so adding my opinion would be almost pointless but i will say this...i lent this movie to about 4 friends, one after the other. here was there reaction (roughly!!!)
1. (Manga nut) that's proper sick!
2. (General film nut, with liking of eastern film) it's really sick
3. (Film buff, and has studied cinema) really gruesome (and i'm sure she said it was sick too)
4. (one of my closest friends) passed it back to me with a smile on his face and i believe he said "ah man!"

but they all liked it...i can't remember exactly but i think one of them couldn't watch it all the way through.
it's definately an experience, but i thought it was cool. unfortunately i have the UK version (cut) and i hear the uncut one has an additional 20 mins or so...but after seeing the cut version, how nasty must the uncut version be?!?!?!?!?!?

I live in the UK and i just ordered the uncut filom at my local supermarket and they'll have it in soon..

I dont think too much will be lost in the translation.
All versions will still be effective!!!

This is def up there in terms of his best work, second only maybe
to Dead or Alive or Fudoh.

I thought Asano was great in Sharkskin Man but he is the shiz in this movie.

sweet 666 🙂

Back
Top Bottom