What's new

IC Recorder as walkman type music player

Mark of Zorro

先輩
4 Oct 2012
I was thinking to make a "Boycott Sony" thread cause I am so sick of them. The latest problem is that my MD recorder died and I found that MD recorders are no longer being made. Wonderful tech. Killed by Sony as far as I can tell and they won't even let others make them. You want a brand new cassette recorder, tech of the 70s? No prob. You want far better tech of the 90s? You are SOL.

So anyhoo, I was looking for solutions on how I am going to record music so as to have music in a my car. Driving is just not any fun without fresh music. This means a few very important requirements.

1) not so expensive. It cannot be something that will really be a loss if it gets fried in the heat of my car or stolen. In fact, it just cannot be attractive to thieves. I usually go with old/used options.

2) It must be powered by a non-proprietary battery ( once those die you can be in for a major expense).

3) Must be solid state to use less battery power. (in other words, not use a disc drive.)

4) Must use removable SD cards. I don't want to be erasing and rewriting all the time cause the internal storage is full. That is BS. Just the recording and conversion process already takes too much time.

5) Must be able to record without hassles. (need an adapter just to plug in an audio jack? Get outta town!)

Those ruled out Ipods and other music players I saw at Yamada Denki. Those had a nice screen interface, but totally failed my basic requirements.

So I started looking at IC recorders. Sony has a lot available, but I refuse to buy Sony new if at all possible. That left Panasonic and Olympus. I ended up getting a Panasonic RRXS455. It cost about 9000 yen.

The screen is crap. It looks like a miniaturized plasma screen from the 70s. Its just text and symbols. Its rather small. Also there are folders in there for microphone recordings and such, and I am not sure if its safe to remove them. They are in the way. Anyway, all this means navigation is not so easy.

Plus side is though, it records very well. And it records straight to mp3, a technology I did not know was available yet. Also, you can do minor editing while still in mp3 format. Those save me a lot of time. Right now, I am recording my MDs directly to the player in mp3.

Also, it connects directly to a computer via a retractable USB plug. So no fooling with wires and no proprietary nonsense. Its taken me a bit to figure where folders need to go and how they need to be, but now that I have it its not so bad (for example spaces are not allowed. Anything written with a space is not detected). Also its taken time to figure out where things out and just how to accomplish certain tasks. I am not going to say the thing is user friendly. Its a learning curve. But now that I got it, things should go smoothly. (God MD was so freaking easy to use though!)

So, anyone else doing this or considered doing this? What do you have? What are the ups and downs?

If you are looking for an alternative music player, and are not chicken of tech, you might consider this. I would be happy to answer any questions you have if I can, even if you buy from those jerks at Sony!

I just use my phone and random radio type apps (Jingo, iHeartRadio, etc.) as well as tossing mp3s into my Box and Dropbox folders if there's something specific I want to hear.

Currently I use a little FM transmitter plugged into the phone which then transmits to 88.3 on my radio, but when I move I figure I'll pick up a car stereo unit with an aux input. Not going to bother for now.

In my truck I use my iPhone and a set of Bluetooth speakers powered through an AC/DC converter. I used to use FM transmitters but they're nothing but a pain in the butt for heavy duty use. Too much interference and too many cords wearing out. Bluetooth is the way to go.

Mp3s from home, podcasts and Librivox audiobooks via the Downcast app, and streaming net radio via the Radion app.

I have all the same on my motorcycle, thanks to a Midland bluetooth speaker setup. Really cool to be able to get music, phone calls, and navi voice prompts.

I was and am a huge MiniDisc fan, though I moved on to mp3 a long time ago instead of HiMD. My discs are currently in storage, because although I tell myself I will eventually copy them to my computer, I realize that might not ever happen. I only threw my cassettes and VHS tapes away last spring because my contractor wanted me to empty my basement. Almost paid to have them stored, but since I haven't played them for ten years...

I bought a recorder -- I think it was called a Zoom H4 -- to record bird sounds and things like that, but it wasn't a pleasure to record satellite radio the way it was with MiniDisc. I returned it within 30 days of purchase.

I don't have a car, so I basically stream music (or spoken word) where there is WiFi. I plan to get bluetooth speakers as well for use with my Mac and iPhone. The tune-in radio app is brilliant. And free!

I do have a cute little matchboxed-size device that plays memory cards, but it's crap.

I just use my phone and random radio type apps (Jingo, iHeartRadio, etc.) as well as tossing mp3s into my Box and Dropbox folders if there's something specific I want to hear.

Currently I use a little FM transmitter plugged into the phone which then transmits to 88.3 on my radio, but when I move I figure I'll pick up a car stereo unit with an aux input. Not going to bother for now.

I think I tried FM transmitting once and gave up immediately. Can't recommend it.

I also tried car stereo with aux input and it was horrible. Can't recommend that either.

I went straight back to the solution I was trying to abandon: cassette adapters. I was having trouble because of moving parts and things changing size slightly with temperature changes in seasons. What solved that was buying a new and different brand of cassette adapter. But the sound is perfect and being wired there is no interference whatsoever. Been running that for years now with no problems.

Further, being wired, all I need is splitters and wire to connect more speakers. I have two satelitte speakings and a separate woofer in my car plus the car speakers connected via cassette adapter, all told, 7 speakers going in my car, all low tech, simple, but great sound and always ready to roll.

I never tried bluetooth, but the thing is I don't want to be taking things out of my pocket, driving, then putting them back in my pocket. I want a dedicated device in my car that pretty much stays there and is always ready. I hate going back to the car to retrieve things I forgot. My phone stays in my person, full stop. Otherwise, issues. Plus I don't think with blue tooth you just turn it on and go.

I was and am a huge MiniDisc fan,

Amen!

But Sony is a heretic now!

My discs are currently in storage, because although I tell myself I will eventually copy them to my computer, I realize that might not ever happen.

I hear you. That has been my biggest issue with going to mp3 and other compression formats and why I dragged my feet so long. But this little gem has made it a snap! The only big difference and pain is that the sync function sucks. It chops off maybe .3 seconds of each song. Maybe some don't notice, but I do, and it disturbs me. So I have to record everything in one big block and either break it down manually or leave it as is. If I break it down, its the biggest hog of my time in the process. Never had sync problems with MD unless there was serious background noise from the source.

So anyway, I just connect it up with an audio jack, hit record, and leave it. Its almost the same as recording with MD. To convert my MDs before I had to record a WAV file, requiring certain software and a lot of editing. Then. convert the result to mp3 or mp4. Then put that on my phone. Big hassle. This IC recorder puts it straight to mp3. Set it up, walk away. Edit out silence on the tail end, and, optional, divide the songs up. Then just connect to the computer and make a folder and put it all in there. Finished, unless I name each track.

I only threw my cassettes and VHS tapes away last spring because my contractor wanted me to empty my basement. Almost paid to have them stored, but since I haven't played them for ten years...

Its a shame. But cassettes and VHS tapes are difficult or impossible to convert if you care about quality.

I bought a recorder -- I think it was called a Zoom H4 -- to record bird sounds and things like that, but it wasn't a pleasure to record satellite radio the way it was with MiniDisc. I returned it within 30 days of purchase.

Maybe things have changed since you bought that? I am still surprised how the makers of these things have not made them as convenient for playback and navigation as straight walkman type devices, nor even remotely attractive.

However this one I have is functional and seems to be more functional that things I heard about them in the past. If you want to convert your MDs, this may be the answer for you. Its working for me.

I don't have a car, so I basically stream music (or spoken word) where there is WiFi. I plan to get bluetooth speakers as well for use with my Mac and iPhone. The tune-in radio app is brilliant. And free!

Even when walking I dislike using my phone for music. Of course a problem is that I need that damned proprietary wire for my phone and cannot just put earphones in. Another problem is that it is inconvenient unless albums/folders are in a playlist. But it will only let you have 20 playlists. (grrrr)

What was wrong with the AUX input? It's essentially the same thing as the cassette adapter except it's a cleaner audio path. Must have been a bad cable or something.

Also, how does using either an AUX cable or FM transmitter not allow you to use splitters and extra speakers?

My FM transmitter works alright, though there is some interference here and there.

What was wrong with the AUX input? It's essentially the same thing as the cassette adapter except it's a cleaner audio path. Must have been a bad cable or something.

It was a while ago so I don't remember clearly. But I am sure it was not a bad cable as I would have spotted that.

My guess was power fluctuations were not being controlled by the car stereo I was using.

I also thought it would be a cleaner path, but its amazing what extra things can do though we might think them redundancies or even bottlenecks or sources of trouble. Cassette adapters I have found pretty amazing really while my experiences with other have left me disappointed. Could just be my luck of course.

All I can say is, no need to trash the idea on my account, but you might see if you can try before you buy, or make sure you take care of packaging and you keep receipts so you can take things back. I will certainly be cautious if I ever try that again.

Also, how does using either an AUX cable or FM transmitter not allow you to use splitters and extra speakers?

Actually I meant all that in relation to blue tooth. However I have never heard of satellite speakers that you could just have pick up waves from an FM transmitter. And I don't know if bluetooth could be used with multiple systems at the same time. But I could be wrong about all that.

Seems to me that extra speakers would need to be connected directly into the car audio system, which is trouble I don't go to. I get power from the cigarette lighter and all connects are via audio cable.

My phone has about a half-dozen different bluetooth devices paired to it. At work it is connected to both my speakers and my hands-free thingy at the same time. Works perfectly. My speakers can have two different devices paired. Bluetooth is the convenience of the FM transmitter, but with superior audio quality, no outside interference, and no cables. I've had a couple of transmitters where the cord failed under prolonged use.

If there is a limit to the number of playlists on an iPhone I'm not aware of it. I think I have somewhere around 1,300 tracks on my phone at the moment.

I really like the portability factor of having my home stereo, car stereo, bike stereo, etc all in one easily pocketable device which needs NO cables to connect it to anything.

My phone has about a half-dozen different bluetooth devices paired to it.

Fair enough. But there remains the issue of power, and that means either batteries or cords, and I think most people are going to go with cords in the car. For me, if there already are power cords, some audio cords too is no big deal. Plus everything is permanently connected anyhow.

But with bluetooth, is the connection automatic or do you have to select to connect each time you connect? I could not be bothered in the car.

If there is a limit to the number of playlists on an iPhone I'm not aware of it.

Yes, but I meant my phone which is not an iphone. My phone is Korean made prepaid. It has its up sides and down sides. Being Korean it is definitely different.

I really like the portability factor of having my home stereo, car stereo, bike stereo, etc all in one easily pocketable device which needs NO cables to connect it to anything.

I can appreciate that but its not for me. One factor is that all my work stuff is in my car and every single day I forget to take something out. If I have to remember my phone is lying on the seat because I took it out to select music, I will go crazy.

I leave the power switch of my speakers turned on, so when I turn the key in the morning they get juice and they and my phone immediately and automatically make the connection with no action required of me at all.

I'm not sure, but I think there may be some car stereos these days that are bluetooth-capable.

You don't necessarily have to use a phone. An iPod or some other type of player with bluetooth would work just as well.

Over the years I have used a variety of devices (CD-R player, hard disk drive player, solid state MP3 player, iPhone) and connected via patch cables from the headphone jack, FM transmitters, and bluetooth. Whatever I use gets used typically 14+ hours a day, six days a week....with all the device handling that implies. My experience with cords has universally been that repeated handling WILL cause a break inside the insulation somewhere. Also, at some point the soldering inside the headphone jack will break from repeated/prolonged stress or the bits that contact the plug will get spread out and amount to the same thing. Transmitters also suffer the same cord failure problems as well as outside interference, occasional signal override by the guy next to you in traffic using the same frequency (you hear his tunes), and generally just inferior sound quality.

I've used bluetooth for the last several years now and it has NONE of the problems of mentioned above. Power isn't a problem because it is built into the speakers, which have to have a power source for the internal amp. (Or if a car dash stereo model, power would come from that). I connect the phone to a charger from the lighter, which I would have to do whether I played music or not, so that's not an issue.

Take a look at Yellow Hat or AutoBacs and see if you can't find some bluetooth-capable in-dash stereo. Then you would just need an iPod or other portable player with bluetooth which you could leave in the car. It would probably charge with USB and you can easily get a USB power outlet that plugs straight into your lighter socket. Good sound quality, no cords, no connection hassles, and run however many speakers you please.

Amazon has a bunch of them, reasonably priced....and not Sony

My experience with cords has universally been that repeated handling WILL cause a break inside the insulation somewhere. Also, at some point the soldering inside the headphone jack will break from repeated/prolonged stress or the bits that contact the plug will get spread out and amount to the same thing. Transmitters also suffer the same cord failure problems as well as outside interference, occasional signal override by the guy next to you in traffic using the same frequency (you hear his tunes), and generally just inferior sound quality.
Not a whole lot to say in reply, but it is interesting the variety of experiences we have. Its like we each have our own little demons running around playing with our heads. I have never, ever had any trouble with cables wearing out. I have cables all over the place, in my car, at home. Never had any just break down except the one in my son's electric pen book, but that was a poor design resulting in the cable getting pinched and pulled.

Other than that, I bought a cheap double male ended audio cable from Daiso and the sound quality was utterly horrible through it.

I swear by cable. Its always just a question for me on how to hide it or run it someplace sensible. You won't see any but a little in my car, but like I say, I got it all over the place; multiple power cables going from an inverter, power from the cigarette lighter socket, multiple audio cables off splitters. Its all under mats, and the seats and running inside door and window rubber....and its been like that for years without any trouble.

You make bluetooth sound like a dream! Maybe one day I will give it a shot since more and more my power needs are being taken care of with rechargeable batteries, of which I seem to be amassing an army of....

You should see the silicon roll-up bluetooth keyboard I just got to use with my iPhone! I have some very long stuff I'm trying to type up during slack times at work. The phone is more than sufficient for simply inputting and storing the text, but doing it with one finger gets real old, real quick...even when using the magical swipe-to-type technology. This keyboard rolls up and will fit in my pants pocket. I love bluetooth.

Its less the bluetooth aspect that impresses me. I want one of those for my phone too! Its the roll up ability. I would not complain if I had one with a cable! But I suppose bluetooth makes it even sweeter.

Well, its taken a bit to find out the finer functions of the IC recorder. I was a bit annoyed because I could not hear through headphones what was coming in through AUX line unless it was recording. That meant that I had to record as I was doing volume adjustments. Finally found out that if I hit the record button twice (slowly) it will go to record pause. Much better.

On the down side I found the volume wanting. I mean, it works great in the car. Half volume is LOUD. But when I plug in earphones and go for a walk, I wish it had more volume. My big headphones are fine in the house, just enough really, unless I wanted to tune out somebody screaming at me.

That said, it seems to me all devices I run into these days have volume limits much below what I remember from a decades or more ago. Correct me if you folks know of lots of other handheld devices with oodles of volume, but it seems to me we are being policed so that we don't bother people with noise from our earphones? Can Ipods get really loud?

If its true, and these things are all being made weak, I will just say that my freedom to rock with my phones on is greater than anyone's freedom to not have to hear noises from me that are far less than the background noises on the train, cars going by, or people walking through a park laughing.

Late info, but my girlfriend bought a new car and it has an AUX jack. My IC recorder played beautifully through that.

Of course, I think its worth mentioning that that was not an aftermarket stereo system.

Glad you found a solution.
I love technology, but sometimes I think it changes too quickly. It's profit driven naturally, but sometimes it feels like technology for technology's sake, leaving humans behind. We get used to things, and don't want or need the to change so quickly. Alas, we sometimes have no choice.

I swapped my stereo out for an aftermarket Pioneer deck with bluetooth, and it works pretty smoothly. within a few seconds of turning the car on, the radio is connected and I can stream whatever I want. I've found myself increasingly dependent on my phone; it eliminates having to carry a lot of specialized devices, I can usually find an app that will help me accomplish whatever I'm trying to do, and there's no need to buy into a proprietary storage medium. And with the increasing ubiquity of phones, more and more peripherals and other devices are designed to interface with them.

Back
Top Bottom