What's new

Easy peasy Japanesey

Saing

upside-down cake
19 Jun 2004
Hi! I am interested to know about this phrase:

"Easy peasy Japanesey"

Please forgive my spelling. I have no idea about how to spell this phrase correctly. I heard someone say this on a TV show and I wanted to know: Is it a common phrase used in English speaking countries? Why do you use this phrase? Does it just mean something is "very easy" or is there other meaning?

Thanks!

A simple Google search showed that it's certainly used in New Zealand by kids:

I don't hear it at all in Ireland, nor do I recall it in Canada or the US, in fact, but also see from the search results that it was used in the movie "The Shawshank Redemption".

It's just a phrase that means something--usually assumed to be very difficult--was or will be easy. The ideal situation for its use is talking about something simple that produces a big result. I've heard it used probably once or twice in real life and probably a couple of times in movies and TV, but it's an older phrase that's not used nowadays; I've never used it. If you as a Japanese person used it, it might lose some of its meaning and be funnier than you intended.

So in other words, don't worry about it ;)

god.. I read this thread yesterday and now i'm telling everyone that stuff is easy peasy japanesey!

"YOUR LANGUAGE IS SILLY!" i love that ava.. that's machall right?

It was a common phrase when I was a kid, but people dont often use it anymore unless they are trying to be funny.

"easy peasy japanesey" doesnt mean anything. it is used to say something's easy, but the "japanesey" is meaningless. it is there because it rhymes.
in england (though hardly anyone says it), a phrase i have heard, and probably said dozens of times, is
"easy peasy lemon-squeezy", which has the same effect, which is simply that it rhymes.

-end transmission-

I'm pretty sure it comes from 'cockney rhyming' slang, which is a centuries old slang originating in London's West End (apples and pears - stairs, dog and bone - phone, skin and blister - sister). Easy-peasy must have been the original phrase (you'll probably hear The Artful Dodger say it in Oliver Twist), but I suppose people have added their own extra words that rhyme with easy over many years like 'easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy', or easy-peasy-japanese.....y. Ok, that doesn't really help, but the slang comes from a deeply rooted culture, so it's not easily explained with words.

I hope this helps

That quote is old. It sounds like something i would hear or listen to, from a 1950's movie or television show. This quote was thrown out during the "you're a racist for saying something like that" wars. Perhaps the quote that is still used is "because they are jewish." Usually inferring to "that person won't give me something, or they are a jerk because they are jewish." Allthough the person may not be jewish. It's just something stupid people say. The quote easy peasy japanesey rhymed which may have made people use it. It has no value now a days to people so they rarely use it.

hi!i'm new to this forum.
and sorry for my poor English.

back on(to?*) topic,

that phrase is from the song "easy breesy'', written by Hikaru Utada
I'm a fan of Hikaru Utada.
Actually, this phrase is,

"you are Easy Breezy , and I'm Japaneesy~"

I dont know what does phrase mean.
But, I heared that this phrase is a little bit erotic.

hehe, i'm very poor at preposition,
in this case, To or ON, which is correct?

Last edited:
Pox you beat me to it !!! Pox is right, it's from Hikaru's song Easy Breazy ;-) !!

back ON TOPIC is said ;-)

Thank you for your correcting, Rock Lee!
Why do you know Hikaru Utada?

She is going to release English album"Exodus", which is including "easy breesy" , in USA,
and I hope this album sells well, but I think it can't do...

Last edited:
No, it does't have.

its lyrics starts from below

"I still remember the ways that you touched me/ Now I know
I dont mean anything to you/ You are Easy Breezy, and I'm Japaneesy/
Soon you'll mean nothing to me"

I can understand 1st, 2nd, and last sentences.But i cant do 3rd sentence.

3rd sentence means "you are like a wind, and I am Japanese", right?

Last edited:
Pox said:
back on(to?*) topic,
('Back to the topic' or 'Back on topic....' are both correct.)

ところで、日本語でそれはなんていうのかな?

「元の話題を続けましょう」とかになりますか?
または、「本投稿に戻して話題を続けましょう」がよいでしょうか?

I dont know what does phrase mean.
I don't know what this phrase means.

Hi! I am interested to know about this phrase:
"Easy peasy Japanesey"
Please forgive my spelling. I have no idea about how to spell this phrase correctly. I heard someone say this on a TV show and I wanted to know: Is it a common phrase used in English speaking countries? Why do you use this phrase? Does it just mean something is "very easy" or is there other meaning?
Thanks!

dailyscript.com/scripts/shawshank.html

BROOKS :
Here she is, the Shawshank Prison Library. Along this side, we got the National Geographics. That side, the Reader's Digest Condensed books. Bottom shelf there, some Louis L'Amours and Erle Stanley Gardners. Every night I pile the cart and make my rounds. I write down the names on this clipboard here. Well, that's it. Easy, peasy, Japanesey. Any questions?

asiafinest.com/japanese/utada.htm

Favorite Movies: Shawshank Redemption...

Without being rascist, this follows the sorts of things you hear at school when aged 9-11 years:
Easy peasy japanesey
My mum is chinese, my dad is Japanese, look at the state of me (when chinese is said, the corners of the eyes are pulled up, when japanese is said, pulled up, and when 'me' is said, one eye is pulled down and the other up.

These kind of things show the strange fascination that kids have with asia - it is very different from us so it must be bad or wrong. Stupid, I know.

Easy peasy japanesey, I think, is meant to be the same as 'piece of cake' or 'piece of pie'.

Basically, yeah, these kind of things are just childish remarks or rhymes on the schoolyard.

I think that easy peasy japanesey today means something like "Lol, laugh at me, I talk rubbish : D"
I'd seriously laugh upon hearing this IRL.

"easy peasy Japanesey" doesn't mean anything. it is used to say something's easy, but the "Japanesey" is meaningless. It is there because it rhymes.
in England (though hardly anyone says it), a phrase I have heard, and probably said dozens of times, is
"easy peasy lemon squeezy" has the same effect, which is simply that it rhymes.
-end transmission-

I'm from the US
this is used more often if at all. It's also more likely to use the ´lemon-squeezy´ one. Its something maybe a mom would say to her little kid. It's definitely something you DON´T have to worry about!:)

You obviously know squat about American Colloquialisms. 😃
This thread is quite old and the user you're replying to is not active.

I'm American and learned this colloquialism from a British friend in the form of "Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy," though he much preferred saying "difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"

Back
Top Bottom