What's new

I want to buy a Yukata...

JuliaLane

後輩
18 Apr 2007
Hi all! I love this forum! So informative! ^_^ Anyway, my question is: I want to get a yukata when I go to Japan this July (hopefully being able to wear it at least once to a festival of some kind while I'm there 18th-31st) and was wondering where I might go to find one...or might I expect one as a gift?

I want a pretty one (bright colours, nice design etc. ie. blue with pink sakura on it or something) so I'm not opposed to spending a little more on it (although not too much seeing as I won't wear it very often, even if I do make it back to Japan again in the next year or two).

I'll be living in Togane, Chiba with my Japanese friend and her family for two weeks. We'll be spending some time in Tokyo as well, though, so if there are any suggestions on where to shop (including estimated PRICES!!) for a nice (yet inexpensive) yukata, please tell me. 🙂

On a side note, is it difficult for a forienger (I'm 5'7" - female from Canada) to find a yukata that fits? I'm a bit on the tall side in a Japanese person's eyes I'd guess... >_<

I am not sure of any stores in that area, but I am sure there are a few, especially since they have an embroidery school in the city. I am sure your Japanese friend would know of a good shop.
I would not worry about your height being a problem with finding a yukata that fits. There are Japanese girls that are that tall as well.
But expect to pay around $100-300 for a yukata, there are cheaper ones but they are of lesser quality, however its not terrible quality.
Hoped this helped a little bit.

Any department store will have a Yukata section. Expect to pay around 20,000-40,000 for a Yukata, 5,000 for a belt (obi), and about 8,000 for shoes.

On top of that, being a girl, you will probably want accessories, so things like a bag and hair doo-dads are on sale in the same place.

I've got a photo somewhere of my Yukata...

Ok, stupid question warning...but here goes...I have a yukata but I wear it as a robe when I am in my pajamas or after a shower etc. Are they actually for wearing as "regular" clothes? I don't think I ever saw anyone in a yukata, only girls in formal kimono and sometimes guys in these short jackets that were really cool. Also are yukatas only cotton? I have a silk one as well...if that's what it is?

Hi JuliaLane, don't worry about your height I am around 5'3" to 5'4" and the clothes I bought were too long for me so they should fit you well! Oh, welcome to Jref! :)

Yukata was originally "bathing clothes," which is reflected in the kanji used for the word. Therefore, it is basically cotton. That is why it is used as summer kimono for very casual use and Goldiegirl's use as bathrobe or sleepwear is quite all right.

There is very cheap yukata today, priced in the 2000 to 5000 yen range (for yukata only, minus obi and other accessories). There are very cheap obi, too. During the summer season, you can see them sold almost everywhere women's clothes are sold. There are many pretty and nice designs even in this price range. My daughter is quite satisfied with the cheap ones, since she can buy variations and don't have to worry about it becoming soiled. The more expensive ones are mostly handprinted and handmade.

Young people today consider the yukata fashionable summer outfit and wear them to go to fireworks and other traditional summer festivities.

Like epigene said, you can get cheap yukata for doing whatever you want, but the expensive ones are usually worn when going out in the summer time :)

There is very cheap yukata today, priced in the 2000 to 5000 yen range (for yukata only, minus obi and other accessories). There are very cheap obi, too. During the summer season, you can see them sold almost everywhere women's clothes are sold. There are many pretty and nice designs even in this price range.
You can find them in very nice vibrant unisex colors with traditional Japanese motifs on the cheap at souvenir kiosks (even airport stands...) year round.

And then what about the formless "smock," generic block design type yukata you would see at hotels (and maybe some onsens) ? The robe and pajama as one is bliss for my low maintainence lifestyle. 😌 Before I decide to rip one off a ryokan, is it possible at all to buy anything like that commercially ? For around 500 yen...hehe...:p

You can find them in very nice vibrant unisex colors with traditional Japanese motifs on the cheap at souvenir kiosks (even airport stands...) year round.
And then what about the formless "smock," generic block design type yukata you would see at hotels (and maybe some onsens) ? The robe and pajama as one is bliss for my low maintainence lifestyle. 😌 Before I decide to rip one off a ryokan, is it possible at all to buy anything like that commercially ? For around 500 yen...hehe...:p
I love the ones at the hotels! Nice and fresh everyday. Nothing better than getting out of a hot bath and slipping into a nice cool yukata! :)

Any department store will have a Yukata section. Expect to pay around 20,000-40,000 for a Yukata, 5,000 for a belt (obi), and about 8,000 for shoes.
On top of that, being a girl, you will probably want accessories, so things like a bag and hair doo-dads are on sale in the same place.
I've got a photo somewhere of my Yukata...
Thanks, that will help me to budget. I was figuring on about $250 average for a set. (Hopefully less...but I might as well 'go big or go home', ne?)
I'd love to see a picture of your yukata if you'd care to post it (or e-mail it to me)! 👍

don't forget a pair of げた、(is that right??), the traditional wooden footwear that usually accompanies Yukatas and other matsuri-wear. I wanted to rock the hardcore ones last summer, the ones that only have 1 slat of wood to stand on as opposed to two, but for my big fat gaijin feet I would have had to pay alot of money for custom ones and I just couldn't afford it at the time. :(

I have a pair of geta, but I'm too embarrassed to wear them in public. They're back in the states now. A normal pair of sandals is sufficient, they don't have to be made of wood.

And a few hundred will certainly get you a nice yukata, but cheaper ones can be had for WAY less. I found some particularly nice ones in kyoto that ranged anywhere from pretty affordable to pretty outrageous.

I have one, and the sandal things, but they are hidden away in my wardrobe, I wear a bathrobe around the house when I'm in my sleep wear.

I only tried it on a few times really.

...uniglo nearby. There is one in Togane.
It costs you 3,990JPY.
Thanks for the website link...those yukata are beautiful! And very easy on the wallet! Do they include everything (obi, purse, fan etc.)?

窶佚堕・窶堙絶?堙?ツ・窶ケテ絶?吮?ヲ窶堙??吮?ヲ窶「t窶堋ッツ静?窶督セツ鞘?倪?「t窶堋ォツ。
This yukata set includes yukata, obi, himo, kinchaku (small pouch) and instruction.

All you need is geta/zouri sandals and a fan.
Some supermarkents sell different yukata set everything incl. the sandals, so it is an idea to ask your host family where to buy.
You can buy a fan for 105yen at a 100 yen shop. Or you can get free fans on the street or at a firework fes in summer.

I bought mine 2 years ago at a shop at Nakamise Ave. in Asakusa for around 30,000 yen.

Uniqlo also has some nice mens' yukatas there. Wish I was going near one of their stores during my layover (-,-)

I posted the below at japan-guide, but thought it might be helpful. The form will not let me add the url here.

Yukatas intended to be worn around the house as bathrobes or loungewear tend to run around 3,000 to 4,000 yen, and usually they come with a matching bathrobe type belt. If you choose carefully, some of these are quite nice and can be worn as going-out yukatas if you buy a large size that can be doubled over at the waist as is neccessary for proper dressing and buy a yukata obi. This is basically the same type of yukata as worn in hotels in Japan, only the hotel style is unisex.

During the festival season small stores in temple and shrine areas will be selling inexpensive yukata, for almost the same price as above, and these are meant to be worn in public. Even at the most expensive, you should be able to get a complete set including obi and geta clogs for 10,000 yen or less. Just the yukata would probably be about 3,000 yen and even for cheap yukatas if you buy each part individually it will end up costing more.

The fashionable yukatas will generally start at about 30,000 yen and the obi at 10,000 yen. The geta clogs anywhere from 3,000 to 7,000 yen.

You will need a slip underneath (if you are a woman, just boxers will do for a man, T-shirt optional), but a cheap cotton T-shirt and slip bought at a Japanese grocery store will do. If the store is selling the yukata full body slip for 5,000 yen or less, just buy it and be done with it and your life will be much easier. It may seem that you can get away without a slip, but the yukata will stick to your skin and be hot and eventually smelly, let alone the dyes of a cheaper yukata sweating onto your skin. Also, for women, yukatas tend to look better and are easier to dress in, if you wear a sports bra.

Auberginefleur
Japan Now & Then

Nagajuban

Ok, stupid question warning...but here goes...I have a yukata but I wear it as a robe when I am in my pajamas or after a shower etc. Are they actually for wearing as "regular" clothes? I don't think I ever saw anyone in a yukata, only girls in formal kimono and sometimes guys in these short jackets that were really cool. Also are yukatas only cotton? I have a silk one as well...if that's what it is?
Hi JuliaLane, don't worry about your height I am around 5'3" to 5'4" and the clothes I bought were too long for me so they should fit you well! Oh, welcome to Jref! :)

Yukatas to be worn as bathrobes or nightgowns are different from ones that can be worn in public. Even when they are basically of the same material and pattern, the method of wearing is different.

Anyway, if your second "yukata" is really silk, I suspect it is a under-kimono called a nagajuban. Can you post pictures?

Auberginefleur

In fact, my mother high school was "Togane high school"! I was suprised you come to Togane... Very near to my home town!

If you want pretty one, you should go to Chiba city. It took about 40 munites from Togane stathion to Chiba city by train. It's easy to go. And I think there is more beautiful and qute Yukata in Chiba than Togane. (Togane is so rural...but I also think Uniculo is good.)
In Chiba city, you can shop around. And I think you can get a fine yukata and pair of geta by 10000 yen, at least. There are Japanese clothes shops for young people, especialy for girls near Chiba station.

About festival...it is difficult. At kujukuri town(a seaside town very near Togane), there is a firework-festival on first Suturday night at August. But you go home the end of the July...
But it is worth seeing. I recomend you to think of staying till that night.

It's wonderful that you come to Togane. I wonder...maybe you come to Togane high school? If you should come, it is so wonderful! If you do, please tell me :)
Oh...I think I got exited too much.

Like Pipokun, I also recommend Uniqlo. I got one of those sets a couple of years ago. Decent choices and prices. I think they come with instructions, too. Of course, you'll find much nicer ones at department stores, but you'll need to pay the price as well.

Have fun shopping!

You could always do a crafty and lift one from your hotel room.

Not that I have ever done that of course.

For cheap yukatas:

I think Uniglo are the prettiest with Yukata and obi for ¥2,990. Check it out online, but I can't paste the url here.

Tokyu Hands also has a cheap yukata set, that even includes geta clogs if I remember right. (I saw them at Shinjuku near Kinokuniya). But, I think the Uniglo ones are prettier.

As far as ripping off the hotel ones:

Please don't do that, it makes all us gaijin look ignorant. If you ask, many (but not all) will sell their yukata. Similar ones can also be purchased at Asakusa in Tokyo or at airports, or if you go to almost any major department store and ask for the inexpensive tourist souvenir yukatas, you can get basically the same thing for a little less than ¥5,000.

So you see, Uniglo is really a bargain, a real yukata you can wear in public, for much less.

Auberginefleur
Japan Now & Then (Blog)

Where to buy a cheap, inexpensive yukata

Also try a search for:

Where to buy a cheap, inexpensive yukata

Uniqlo Yukata Collection 2010

Back
Top Bottom