What's new

I need the name of my city in Kanji

kenji79

後輩
15 Jan 2004
First I would like to say hello to everybody in this forum,

I come from Germany and I need the word FRANKFURT in kanji. (I need it for our dojo of japanese martial arts; I would like to paint Frankfurt in kanji on the wall).

Is it possible to translate the name of a city to kanji? If yes, I have another proble. I need it as .jpg or .gif, because I use the internet from a computer in a university, so I couldn't download the japanese fonts.

Thanks to everyone who could help

kenji79

There is no actual kanji for it I believe but here is it in katakana:

フランクフルト

There are actually several kanji combinations for Frank, as in the name (such as 府欄久), you'd just need to patch something together for Furuto.

Herr Kenji79,

The Japanese do not use Kanji for foreign or foreign-derived words. You'd have to write Frankfurt in katakana.

However, if you asked a Chinese person he would be able to give you a satisfactory Kanji equivalent for Frankfurt since everything they write have to be in Kanji, even "Coca Cola".

Having said all that, there is a Kanji for "can". But can is an English word. It was probably made up.

Originally posted by NANGI
Konnichiwa Kenji79-san!

FRANKFURT is "法蘭法時答" in Kanji.

NANGI
That would be pronounced as fa-lan-fa-she-da in mandarin... ^^;

Thanks for your help & next short question

Hi,

I think it's really great to get help from people all over the world. So if there is no kanji for it, I will write it in katana. Thank you.

I have another short question. A friend send me a picture of "ichi geki" in kanji, but it is a little bit different from the kyokushin one. Is this really the ichi geki kanji???

width best regards from Germany

kenji79

How do you you pronounce names in Japanese like name of cities and countries and ppl name. I noticed that they are diffrent but are there like any rules to follow according to the alphabet

The Japanese language is composed of distinct mora (syllable-like unit of Japanese). The 'standard' dialect of Japanese (used around Tokyo) can be described in terms of 113 mora of the following kinds:
5 single vowel
67 consonant + vowel
36 consonant + y +vowel
5 single consonant

As Japanese is phonetical, once you learn them all, you're pretty much set for pronouncation. :)

Originally posted by SacredBlue
The Japanese language is composed of distinct mora (syllable-like unit of Japanese). The 'standard' dialect of Japanese (used around Tokyo) can be described in terms of 113 mora of the following kinds:
5 single vowel
67 consonant + vowel
36 consonant + y +vowel
5 single consonant

As Japanese is phonetical, once you learn them all, you're pretty much set for pronouncation. :)

What are the five single consonants? I thought that ん was the only one. :confused:

Hello,

firts for Kiyotsuki: Kyokushin is a fullcontact form of karate which uses the ichi-geki for one punch knock out.

And thanks for your help, Can you please write it in katana, too?

kenji79

Originally posted by kenji79
Hello,

firts for Kiyotsuki: Kyokushin is a fullcontact form of karate which uses the ichi-geki for one punch knock out.

And thanks for your help, Can you please write it in katana, too?

kenji79

I am assuming that you want it written in katakana, not katana (katana = sword). It's an easy mistake, but please be mindful of it. Ichigeki in katakana would be this: イチゲキ, and in hiragana: いちげき.

What are the five single consonants? I thought that ん was the only one.
I must've been sleepy and mistaken consonants for vowels, sigh :p I'll fix that..

EDIT:
The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 1440 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired

Oh well :/

Back
Top Bottom