What's new

I need some help translating these sentences

kamuizero

先輩
25 Aug 2004
Hello, I've been having some problems translating some sentences and I need some help :( , these are the sentences:

- 顔が良ければ、 性格が悪くてもいいと言うのは、 まちがいです。

- 彼女はおづるのはうまいが、ごはんを作るのは下手だ。

- この意味を調べたいんですが、どのじしょで調べたらいいですか

Thnx. in advance :D!

kamuizero said:
Hello, I've been having some problems translating some sentences and I need some help :( , these are the sentences:
So what's the best you can do with them?

The first one I think it says something like " If you have a good face, and say (you) have bad mood, you're wrong ".

The second, I think it says something like " Her dancing is skillful, but she's clumsy/bad cooking rice"

The third one I think is something like : " I couldn't find this meaning , but, will it be better to look in that dictionary?? "

any help will be very appreciated, I'm very confused :(

kamuizero said:
The first one I think it says something like " If you have a good face, and say (you) have bad mood, you're wrong ".

Not too far out. You need to work on V-てもいい and のは

顔が良ければ、 性格が悪くてもいいと言うのは、 まちがいです。

To say that, if [you] have good looks it doesn't matter if [you] have a bad personality, is mistaken.

kamuizero said:
The second, I think it says something like " Her dancing is skillful, but she's clumsy/bad cooking rice"

Dancing? That must have been おどる not おづる. Apart from that you're right (except that it's not just _rice_ but meals in general).

kamuizero said:
The third one I think is something like : " I couldn't find this meaning , but, wil it be better to look in that dictinary?? "

Not quite. Look up v-たい and you're mixing up どの and その

この意味を調べたいんですが、どのじしょで調べたらいいですか

I want to look up this meaning but which dictionary would be good [to use] ?

Oh sorry, in the second one I meant おどる 😌 hehe.

Thanks a lot for the help!. I have another little question. What does しまった
means in:

しまった!! ともだちに明日はクラスがないと言うのを忘れた!

I thik it's somethig like "D*mn! I forgot to tell my friend we don't have classes tomorrow"

Is it right??

kamuizero said:
I thik it's somethig like "D*mn! I forgot to tell my friend we don't have classes tomorrow"

Is it right??
Yup. It's from しまう which is quite often (but not always) used in that way.

- 顔が良ければ、 性格が悪くてもいいと言うのは、 まちがいです。
It's a mistake to believe that "a bad personality is no problem, as long as the person is good-looking". If you can see that the "と言うのは" represents "quote marks" (kind of) then this one becomes much easier, right?

- 彼女はおづるのはうまいが、ごはんを作るのは下手だ。
She's good at dancing but no good at cooking.

- この意味を調べたいんですが、どのじしょで調べたらいいですか
I want to work out what this means. What dictionary should I use?

- しまった!! ともだちに明日はクラスがないと言うのを忘れた!
Damn!! I forgot to tell my friend there's no class tomorrow!

(EDIT: Sorry I just did these quickly because I'm bored, and I didn't check and see until later that you guys had mostly done them already. Anyway I will just leave the post as an alternative version, but don't take that to mean "I'm right and you're wrong" since you guys' versions were fine)

Back
Top Bottom