What's new

I need help...trying to locate my mother....

Mark Thornton

Registered
19 Mar 2014
Im not sure if i am posting in right area, but i am trying to locate my mother....My name is Mark Thornton, i am 40, moved from Japan in 1980 to the US due to my parents divorce...My mothers name is Mieko Nishiwaki, her date of birth is Jan 17, 1949....i have had 0 contact with her since i moved to the states....im not sure where or how i can find her but figured maybe this forum could help me out.....any imformation would help....thanks in advance....

More info would help. Where in Japan was she? Child of military and Japanese national? Name and birthdate are not enough, it's a small country but not that small.

All I remember is she was born in Tokyo in 1949...When I left in 1980, she last resided in Yokuska...My father was in Navy, and he reinlisted, they got divorced, and he brought me to the states...Only thing I have are pictures and her imfortmation on birth certificate....I had a friend of mine try sbout 10 years ago on this site and she had 0 luck....Im beginning to think I will never meet her...I just want to know if she is still alive, if I have other siblings...or just some sort of closure.....

Mark, as mentioned in the other thread from 2003, have you tried to go through official channels, such as the embassy or Yokosuka city hall?

Hello Mark,

As Thomas suggested a good first step would be to contact the local government at your mother's last known address - I think you meant Yokosuka in Kanagawa.
According to their website they have English speakers available at all times.

Here are their contact details:
Yokosuka City Government
11 Ogawa-Cho, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, 238-8550, Japan.

Tel: 046 822 2500
Fax: 046 822 2539
8am – 8pm (Japan)

Just let them know your story and express the importance for you of getting in touch with your mother again.
They should be able to locate her Koseki (family Register) as you mentioned you have her name on the birth certificate.

If she moved to another part of Japan, she would be required to update her Koseki at the new location and she would have had to get a document from the Yokusuka City Hall to present to the new City Hall.
They therefore should have her next address if she moved ..... this is where the detective work would start as you would then need to contact the local government for the next address and so on if she moved multiple times.

You could engage a solicitor ot private investigator in Japan but this would obviously not be cheap.
I'd suggest doing as much leg work as you can yourself first ... you have a good chance of locating her in my opinion.

Good luck with your search.

i contacted embassy in Japan...this is what they sent me...
Dear Mr. Thornton,

Thank you for your inquiry. We are very sorry to hear that you have not seen your mother for such a long time.

Unfortunately, as Japanese law prohibits releasing information about Japanese residents without their permission, the Embassy is unable to do any research about your mother or her Japanese relatives. Furthermore, due to the U.S. Privacy Act of 1974, the Embassy is not authorized to give you information about any U.S. citizens without their express permission, so even if she actually is in Japan, we would be unable to answer questions about her unless she gave us permission to do so. We regret any distress this might cause you.

We suggest that you work with family members or relatives, if you are able, in order to locate your mother. You may also consider hiring private investigative services in the United States or Japan to assist you. Our Sources of Help webpage may also be helpful to you.

We hope that this information is of assistance.

Sincerely,

Consular Communication Unit

American Citizen Services

U.S. Embassy Tokyo

+81-3-3224-5000 (switchboard)
U.S. Citizen Services | Embassy of the United States Tokyo, Japan

STEPstackedRGB.pngtwitter-bird-white-on-blue.pngFB_FindUsOnFacebook-1024.PNG

Subject: Forwarded mail through Embassy Web site

It looks like the US Embassy are brushing you off there Mark, as a child of a Japanese citizen you certainly can do this.

It will take a bit of work and perseverence on your part but I think you will get a more helpful response if you contact the Yokosuka City Government directly. Write a detailed letter but also give them a call ... be polite but insistent when you speak to them.

It will cost a few dollars calling international - but money well spent considering your goal of meeting your mum again.

I think you will regret it if you give up now .... keep on trying mate.

Back
Top Bottom