What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

I need a bit of help here in grammar...

Dante12

後輩
Reaction score
Hi, I have two qns regarding grammar here. I will use Ayumi's Carols as an example:

Yodooshi hanashiteta Mirai da to ka ima ga
Amari ni watashi ni wa mabushikute

The rest of the sentence I understand. But I am stuck at the da to ka part. Can anyone help me on this???

My last qns:

Itsuka kako wo yuruseru hi ga
Kuru to ii no ni to omottara namida afureta

I am also stuck at this to ii no ni. So i wld really appreciate if anybody can help me on this. Thanks!!!

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
I think yodooshi hanashiteta mirai da to ka is one piece, and ima ga amari ni watashi ni wa mabushikute is another, and to ka is sort of acting like ya (inexhaustive listing). I'm not 100% confident in that, though.

Itsuka kako wo yuruseru hi ga
Kuru to ii no ni to omottara namida afureta

The no ni means "although," and in this case shows regret. The V to ii construction means "I hope" or "I wish."

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
The no ni means "although," and in this case shows regret. The V to ii construction means "I hope" or "I wish."
This could be a misreading but I wouldn't say regret because the state being referred to is still in the future. のに is simply used for a wish or hope that is not in the present.

The tears overflowed with the hope that someday the day would come when I would be able to allow in/forgive the past....I suppose is an efficient way of putting it although it still sounds a bit hokey in English...😅

Dante12

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you, guys. I really appreciate all your help here. Thank you so much!!!:p

Top Bottom