What's new

I made this Japanese lesson from Re: Zero with reading, writing, speaking, and listening practice

wispyman

後輩
5 Oct 2016
This was my first attempt at making this style of video, yet I'm certain a few people out there could find this video lesson helpful. I understand not everyone is on board with learning Japanese from anime, but there is so much helpful vocabulary, kanji, and grammar that is useful for polite and everyday speech.

I'm in the middle of making the second video in this series, so if there is anything I should include in the next video, please let me know :) I plan on definitely including more kanji in the next lesson, but maybe I could do the explanation and exercises a little differently.

The synthetic voices sound like the speakers are drunk, or maybe hospitalized with a sedative-laden IV drip... I guess that's an improvement over older software that sounded flat out robotic.

I'd suggest you should partner with some native speakers, but I don't know how feasible that is.

For what it's worth, the free program Audacity can slow (or speed up) audio very nicely without changing the pitch or other distortions. You just have to be careful to use the advanced 'Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift' Effect (choosing zero pitch change, and the same percent slow down at the start and end). The 'Change Tempo' and 'Change Speed' effects are prone to artifacts so don't use those. (I don't know why they don't use the same algorithm as the sliding scale. effect, but they don't.) There are of course also commercial products (e.g. amazing slow-downer) that have this ability.

It's not quite the same as a natural voice but it's better than synthetic drunks.

If you have to tell viewers what なんですか means, that's a pretty good indication that everything else you are telling them is over their heads and is a perfect illustration of why this is a crap way to go about learning the language.

Back
Top Bottom