What's new

I have blonde hair blue eyes. Please call me Charisma Man and give me a job.

SacredBlue

先輩
13 Oct 2003
窶堋ア窶堙ア窶堙寂?堙ア窶堙最?F窶堋ウ窶堙ア:) ナ陳ウ窶ケCツ?

I'm sure every poster here is aware of the Charisma Man thing going around in Japan, so I figured why not have a discussion on it? However, let's not make this thread end up looking like Gaijinpot :)

Many Non-Japanese are attracted to Japanese males and females. Many Japanese males and females are attracted to Gaijin men and women, this much is a fact. Humans are usually attracted to what they perceive as mysterious or unique.

But how long will this continue? As more foreigners spread into Japan and have a place they can call 'Home' among this homogenous society, will the love of Gaijin sink? Causing us to be just another petal on a Sakura? Or will foreign interests in Japan simply stay as it is now, with Roppongi and major cities handling the influx of foreigners, while small towns are vacant of them?

And what about the case of all the people who come to Japan to simply seek "friendship" or more. Do you think we will be seeing this number increase or decrease?

To add my personal opinion, the world does grow smaller everyday. Currently, I don't see why or how the numbers of foreigners in Japan will decrease. However, I believe that once Japan comes out of it's economic failures, we will see alot of foreigners being laid off and smaller numbers flocking to Japan. Competition for positions will become more fierce. Afterall, what can you offer to a company that a Japanese person can't? I can see positions for English teaching being fought over (NOVA, GEOS, ECC and major companies excluded). If anything, higher qualifications and a working knowledge of the Japanese language will be a pre-requiesite for better paying jobs. This would lead to the question: Why move to Japan if you can get better conditions, pay checks and benefits in America? This will deter many of the Charisma Men wannabes. But those that truly love Japan, love the culture and love the people will not need to ask this question. :)

As for the foreign attraction to Japanese and vice versa, something tells me this will die off. But I cannot explain it, it seems like a fad to me that eventually fades.

Your opinions wanted :)

You ask a lot of interesting questions, and I'm sure others will chime in too. While I can tell you are mainly addressing the blonde hair / blue eyed foreign population, I woud like to add something to what you said in more general terms...

Originally posted by SacredBlue
However, I believe that once Japan comes out of it's economic failures, we will see alot of foreigners being laid off and smaller numbers flocking to Japan. Competition for positions will become more fierce. Afterall, what can you offer to a company that a Japanese person can't? I can see positions for English teaching being fought over (NOVA, GEOS, ECC and major companies excluded). If anything, higher qualifications and a working knowledge of the Japanese language will be a pre-requiesite for better paying jobs. This would lead to the question: Why move to Japan if you can get better conditions, pay checks and benefits in America?

Blonde/Blue foreigners have usually been part of a fairly liquid part of the foreign workforce because they mainly take the teaching jobs, stick around for a few years and go home. You are correct in that the better language skills you have the better chance you have for going the distance. But niche jobs (teaching languages, executive positions) seem to keep a fairly steady employment percentage, probably because of the type of people it attracts.

I would say though that I disagree with you if you are saying foreign workers in ALL job types will fall as the economy gets better. Even in good economic times, migrant labor and people willing to work long hours for low pay make up a good part of most industrialized countries. I don't see Japan as being any different. If I am a factory owner, I would much rather pay a Chinese factory worker 500 yen an hour instead of a Japanese worker who will want 700 or 800 for the same job, regardless of the economic times. Because of current immigration policy, I can also replace that Chinese worker at the drop of a hat, send him home, and take the next one fresh of the boat for a lot less than it would cost to fire and replace a Japanese worker. Also as the economy gets better, expands and creates more jobs, I see more people flocking to Japan, not fewer.

Japan is also in the early stages of what many people feel is a population crunch. The birthrate is falling and to keep the economy healthy Japan will going to need living bodies to fill jobs. Since little Taor and Hanako will still be under pressure to go to college and get a good job in an office, I think the government will actually go through a phase of trying to make itself more attractive to foreign workers willing the stand on factory floors. This means making immigration more attractive and naturalization easier (so you can start taxing people sooner and also help keep your yen from being sent out of the country).

As to your point about the Blonde/Blues out there, yes competition will probably be steeper, and the better qualified will have an easier time. However, the pay-offs also stand to be higher as well.

Thanks for the post! Lots of things to mull over...Got to go. -M

Back
Top Bottom