What's new

I had Yakult yesterday

Golgo_13

先輩
27 Nov 2003
for the first time in about 40 years. Pronounced "Yakuruto" in Japan.

YUCK ! It was soooooooo sweet. This is more appropriate for kids. When I was a kid I used to freeze the stuff and made Yakult popsicles.

They should have an adult-version with less sugar.

I only drank a small container of it because it's supposed to have a lot of probiotics--the "good" bacteria.

Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd.

too sweet probiotic

Golgo_13 said:

YUCK ! It was soooooooo sweet. This is more appropriate for kids. When I was a kid I used to freeze the stuff and made Yakult popsicles.

I only drank a small container of it because it's supposed to have a lot of probiotics--the "good" bacteria.

They DO have less-sugar version, you'll have to find out the right shop. (if it's very sugary it's mainly because the bacteria in itself is extremely acid and sour.
These kind of probiotic food only exist as such since 10 years or so more or less. It is usually sold inside a milk-based product because the bacteria is more stable in such an environement. But if your eating habbits are well balanced, you should not need that kind of food. The main purpose is to better organize you "intestinal transit". It will work quiet ok for a week or two, maybe three. Then it will not do anything excepted take your money...
But there might be some danger to take too much of it, because your body will loose the habit of making it's own self-defense bacteria. And that is not too good. So take it for a short period of time, and dont forget to feed yourself well.
There is one of the description, including sources.

PROBIOTIC
This word has been around since the beginning of the nineties, but has only slowly started to appear outside technical contexts. It refers to the use of microorganisms in a positive way to benefit health. They are usually consumed in specially designed foods that are variously called nutraceuticals, functional foods or FoSHUs (窶廡oods for Specified Health Uses窶?. An example is the way some people ingest bacteria in live yoghurt to enhance their intestinal flora and so aid digestion. Such harmless bacteria colonies are also being introduced into various environments to take up available resources and prevent harmful ones multiplying, a technique known as competitive exclusion. For example, a recent proposal to maintain healthy teeth involves populating the mouth with harmless bacteria that prevent those which cause decay from gaining a hold. A similar technique has been used in fish farming to prevent bacteria that cause disease from attacking stocks. Probiotic is not entirely new, as it has appeared on occasion in the past as another word for prebiotic, but that sense seems to be obsolete.

The value of 窶彡ompetitive exclusion窶 is becoming widely accepted, and [one] company is now marketing a product that farmers can use to ensure the development of a protective flora of microbes in their chickens窶 intestines ... Several so-called probiotics, consisting of individual strains of lactobacilli, are now available for this purpose.[Bernard Dixon, Power Unseen, 1994]
Probiotics have been reported to enhance the digestion and absorption of protein, fat, calcium and phosphorus. They produce their own lactase and may help overcome lactose intolerance.
[Pharmacy Post, May 1997]

Konnichiwa Golgo_13-san!

Me too! I had made Yakult popsicles! It's a very good! :D

NANGI

NANGI said:
Konnichiwa Golgo_13-san!

Me too! I had made Yakult popsicles! It's a very good! :D

NANGI

Nangi-chan,

In Osaka, at one point we had a similar product called "Elbee" delivered to our house everyday.

Wow, milk delivery in public housing (Danchi) is very hard work! 😌

Golgo_13 said:

Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd.
We have that stuff over here as well. It's sold regularly in supermarkets.
Doesn't taste all that great though, but that's not because of its sweetness (I love sweet! 👍)
We have a probiotic drink here that tastes much better, it's called "Actimel". It's made by Danone and is avaiable in several different flavors. I like "Orange" the best. I was now even tested by "テ北o-Test" (Organic Test) to be "very good":

Actimel Homepage

actimel

Lina Inverse said:
We have a probiotic drink here that tastes much better, it's called "Actimel". It's made by Danone and is avaiable in several different flavors. I like "Orange" the best
Yep, but there are hundreds of different brands, made by hundreds of different producers in Europe. I like the Danone one, orange, too, but it's not the best. In Italy they have one, I forgot the name. But it's pretty much the same anyway. Don't abuse !!! (see my post above)

yimija said:
Yep, but there are hundreds of different brands, made by hundreds of different producers in Europe. I like the Danone one, orange, too, but it's not the best. In Italy they have one, I forgot the name. But it's pretty much the same anyway. Don't abuse !!! (see my post above)
Yes, of course... I remember I had some that was pretty good when I was in Italy last year. Can't recall the name either.
I'm pretty sure though that Golgo would like the Actimel stuff, since there's also a "less sweet" version.

Yakult is good for kids and peope who have constipation. In Toronto, most stores carry the Korean ones instead of Japanese though.

everywhere around the world

Jean-Francois said:
Yakult is good for kids and peope who have constipation. In Toronto, most stores carry the Korean ones instead of Japanese though.
As we said, you'll fid it all around the world, it's known as soft medicine, but don't let it take over the natural way getting un-constipated... (if I might say so...)

Lina Inverse said:
We have that stuff over here as well. It's sold regularly in supermarkets.
Doesn't taste all that great though, but that's not because of its sweetness (I love sweet! 👍)
We have a probiotic drink here that tastes much better, it's called "Actimel". It's made by Danone and is avaiable in several different flavors. I like "Orange" the best. I was now even tested by "テ北o-Test" (Organic Test) to be "very good":

We have found Dannon Actimel in our travels to Mexico, as well as Yakult, and a Nestle product called Chamyto. All contain lactobacillus cassei, and are good for helping to prevent 'la turista'.

I started drinking Yakult when I lived in Japan 30 years ago, and it is too bad that we can't buy it where we live. I even like the taste ;-)

Golgo_13 said:

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I really like the taste, and I drank it alot when I was a kid in Japan. I still drink it sometimes though when I am in Japan. I REALLY LIKE THE TASTE!! 😊

(Almost) every kid in Japan drinks this stuff.

diet

Golgo_13 said:

Yakult Honsha Co., Ltd.
theres like the diet ones with green labels i THINK...or mayb it was another company. yakult is very nice although i dont drink it too often

Back
Top Bottom