What's new

I Got a new CD Program

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
Hey, a member here just gave me a CD program on japanese. I'm on lesson 6. Each lesson is 30 minutes long. The time sems to go by so fast.

However, its extremely dated. The date on it is 1984. I hope the language hasn't changed drasitically since then.

So far, of the 3 hours of watching it, ive learned a little bit. Its made by the "Japan foundation". There's a few quirks I can't stand on it:

1) So far, it has NOT explained how the particles are used. For "ni" it simply said it was for location, not all the other uses for it. For no, it didn't say anything; just that "anata no" meant "Your". This bugs me: Particles are crutial to know in japanese!
2) There's around a 4 to 5 minute 'skit' with a chubby man named Yan-san. (I think that's his name?). What's annoying is that they make you watch it twice. In the beginning, and then, "To pick out the words you can hear" in the end.
3) It's extremely frusterates me (most of all) is taht they don't explain everything in the skit. On the very first skit, when they said "Kanpai!" which means cheers, with the beer, they did not mention to explain it. Among MANY other things. I want to know all they said. Instead, they go to the next skit, and only explain bits and pieces.
4) Sometimes, they don't explain the directions very clearly. For example, with "right around the corner", they used one word/term that started with an m. I Totally forgot it. They only mentinoed it once, thus, I forgot it.

Wht I like:
1) All the japanese
2) They teach the stroke order on kana so far
3) the japanese speech, emphasis of different ways to count things, promixity to the speaker (kono, koko, sore, are, ano, etc)

But I'm a bit confused about the proximity. I understand sore, but there is another one called sono which confuses me. They now use sono alot more than sore. Also, theres kono in place of kore. Again, I understand kore but not kono. There's also koko for "right here". Are, which is far away (Not near the speakr or the listener) and this one is ano. Again, confused with the "ano" one.

They also seem to speak too fast. I can't understand most the words. For some reason, "Ga" ALWAYS sounds like "na". I hear no "g" sound.

Although I hear them speak fast, they are actually speaking at normal speed.

"There's a cat!" Neko ga imasu yo!
"Where?" Neko ni?
"Over there! (Farther away) Are !

"Is there a cat?" Neko ga imasu ka?
"Yes, there is a cat." Hai, imasu. (The cat is understood)
"No, there's no cat." Iie, dewa arimasen." (There's more to it, but I forgot. The dewa part confuses me)
You can also say, "Iie, imasen." (No, it doesn't exist. which is factual)
Or,
"Iie, neko wa imasen." (No, there is no cat. But it's something else. [related])

Sweet you got it!
They will go into more detail about particles and stuff there's 52 lessons as it was programmed that aired once a week for a year. It is quite dated but language doesn't change much and from what I saw in the beginning it is still the same as today. except for some things are omitted nowadays. But still correct none the less.

They won't explain alot of things because it is not related to the lesson. They will say more advanced phrases only b/c it is part of the lamguage. Each lesson is designed to help you learn something in particular not everything that was said. Be patient it is a progressive process.

Enjoy should help you alot!
When you get further into it it gets more indepth I looked at Lesson 26 and I was like :p "I didn't know that" So much for me being Intermediate.

"G"'s tend to have a nasal sound to them. Also since your still new to the language normal speed will sound fast to you. Especially if they are not speaking directly to you. Your attention is still somewhat defunct. People tend to pay more attention to learning when a lesson is directed right at you hence 1 on 1 tutoring.

I'm glad you got the disc though.

Gaijinian gave me this advice which is stuck now.
Ano, Kono, Sono is only used when a noun is to follow immediately after..
Kono kuruma ha kakkoii desu
Sono neko ha kawaii desu
Ano hito ha ookii desu

Oh, I remember those ヤンさん things...I had to watch them in language lab when I was taking Japanese. I've also seen the full show in language lab, although we didn't use the show in class. Although the show is dated, most of the language used in it is the same as is used today. (Unless they go into slang as well...then it would be REALLY dated!)

GoldCoinLover said:
But I'm a bit confused about the proximity. I understand sore, but there is another one called sono which confuses me. They now use sono a lot more than sore. Also, there's kono in place of kore. Again, I understand kore but not kono. There's also koko for "right here". Are, which is far away (Not near the speaker or the listener) and this one is ano. Again, confused with the "ano" one.

"There's a cat!" Neko ga imasu yo!
"Where?" Neko ni?
"Over there! (Farther away) Are !
"Is there a cat?" Neko ga imasu ka?
"Yes, there is a cat." Hai, imasu. (The cat is understood)
"No, there's no cat." Iie, dewa arimasen." (There's more to it, but I forgot. The dewa part confuses me)
You can also say, "Iie, imasen." (No, it doesn't exist. which is factual)
Or,
"Iie, neko wa imasen." (No, there is no cat. But it's something else. [related])

kono, sono, and ano will by used in front of the noun they are modifying. kore, sore and are will be used instead of it. Simple once you get it, nee?

Not all of your sentances with the cat were quite perfect here are a few corrections:
where is 'doko', but I'm sure you actually knew taht anyway.

Iie, dewa arimasen. doesn't actually make any sense. What you mean to say was iie, neko dewa arimasen. However, this means its not a cat, not that there is no cat.

"iie, neko wa imasen" and "iie, imasen" are actually the exact same sentance. The second just omits neko because its obvious they are talking about the cat. They just mean "there is no cat", and don't imply that something else was there.

Hope I helped out!
Katherine

KrazyKat said:
kono, sono, and ano will by used infront of the noun they are modifying. kore, sore and are will be used instead of it. Simple once you get it, nee?
Not all of your sentances with the cat were quite perfect here are a few corrections:
where is 'doko', but I'm sure you actually knew taht anyway.
Iie, dewa arimasen. doesn't actually make any sense. What you mean to say was iie, neko dewa arimasen. However, this means its not a cat, not that there is no cat.
"iie, neko wa imasen" and "iie, imasen" are actually the exact same sentance. The second just omits neko because its obvious they are talking about the cat. They just mean "there is no cat", and don't imply that something else was there.
Hope I helped out!
Katherine

THanks Katherine. Yes, I mean't "Doko ni." Sorry, I'm tired. 😊

My goal is to move to japan and learn to translate japanese video games. Yes, I know, I shouldn't go to japan to do this. But I LOVE the japanese culture, the food, and how healthy the food is. I know I'll be in for a surprise (God forbid what I find!) but I've always loved videdo games, and strange japanese ones. I don't think it will ever change. I've always loved them.

I will probably work as an english teacher. But I want to be able to read japanese very fluently (So I can read the games), hehe.

That is my long term goal.

Katherine, they also said it was the same sentence, except that I believe they said on the "Neko dewa imasen" it wasn't used for a cat. It was used for a inanimate object , so it was arimasen. Also, it said there was a difference besides the omittiance. They also said that, it is not a cat but something else.

I believe the example might've been key. It wasn't a key, but something similiar. I'm not sure. sorry. I'm tired +, no food, +, no sleep, +, just...tired.
Heh

Off schedule.

Sorry. Gomen nasai

Yeah, the "Ga' definitely sounds nasal. No G sound, at all.

The "ra" is kinda weird too. It doesn't sound really like "la" anymore or "da", still kinda sounds like "ra" kind of. It's hard to describe, like I barely hear the r sounds. Almost impossible to repeat

I don't like how they make you repeat the stuff, over, and over. I already know how to prounouce it.

I'm not sure. sorry. I'm tired +, no food, +, no sleep, +, just...tired.
In japanese not getting enough sleep is "juubunna (enough/plenty) suimin (sleep) wo totte imasen (not taking). watashi mo. Do try to eat the food, though, even if you don't have time to rest....much more memorable and interesting, desune. :kanpai:

GoldCoinLover said:
Hey, a member here just gave me a CD program on japanese. I'm on lesson 6. Each lesson is 30 minutes long. The time sems to go by so fast.
However, its extremely dated. The date on it is 1984. I hope the language hasn't changed drasitically since then.
So far, of the 3 hours of watching it, ive learned a little bit. Its made by the "Japan foundation".
Ahh, Yan and the Japanese People! I downloaded all 50 episodes about a year ago when I first started studying Japanese properly. They're awesome, also you do get a bit sick of the quirkiness after a while, and the female presenter in the first 25 lessons is really patronising.
GoldCoinLover said:
1) So far, it has NOT explained how the particles are used. For "ni" it simply said it was for location, not all the other uses for it. For no, it didn't say anything; just that "anata no" meant "Your". This bugs me: Particles are crutial to know in japanese!
plus
GoldCoinLover said:
3) It's extremely frusterates me (most of all) is taht they don't explain everything in the skit. On the very first skit, when they said "Kanpai!" which means cheers, with the beer, they did not mention to explain it. Among MANY other things. I want to know all they said. Instead, they go to the next skit, and only explain bits and pieces.
Whoa man, slow down!! They're not going to explain everything at once! They'll explain little bits at a time, THIS IS A GOOD THING, you don't need to understand EVERYTHING right away! Just follow the process of the show, then when you get to the end of the first series (episode 25 or something) you can go back and review, knowing full well everything they're saying.
GoldCoinLover said:
2) There's around a 4 to 5 minute 'skit' with a chubby man named Yan-san. (I think that's his name?). What's annoying is that they make you watch it twice. In the beginning, and then, "To pick out the words you can hear" in the end.
Repetition is your friend, my friend.
GoldCoinLover said:
But I'm a bit confused about the proximity. I understand sore, but there is another one called sono which confuses me. They now use sono alot more than sore. Also, theres kono in place of kore. Again, I understand kore but not kono. There's also koko for "right here". Are, which is far away (Not near the speakr or the listener) and this one is ano. Again, confused with the "ano" one.
Japanese has two different ways to say "this" - kore, and kono. kono = "this something or other", kono pen (this pen), kono computer (this computer), kono computer game (this computer game) etc. Kore is used when you're talking about something unnamed, or something you're about to give a name to.
This is a red pen = kore wa akai pen desu
This pen is red = kono pen wa akai desu
Exactly the same thing with sore/sono, are/ano.
That (thing with you) is a red pen = sore wa akai pen desu
That pen (with you) is red = sono pen wa akai desu
That (thing over there) is a red pen = are wa akai pen desu
That pen (over there) is red = ano pen wa akai desu

Bucko said:
Ahh, Yan and the Japanese People! I downloaded all 50 episodes about a year ago when I first started studying Japanese properly. They're awesome, also you do get a bit sick of the quirkiness after a while, and the female presenter in the first 25 lessons is really patronising.
plus
Whoa man, slow down!! They're not going to explain everything at once! They'll explain little bits at a time, THIS IS A GOOD THING, you don't need to understand EVERYTHING right away! Just follow the process of the show, then when you get to the end of the first series (episode 25 or something) you can go back and review, knowing full well everything they're saying.
Repetition is your friend, my friend.
Japanese has two different ways to say "this" - kore, and kono. kono = "this something or other", kono pen (this pen), kono computer (this computer), kono computer game (this computer game) etc. Kore is used when you're talking about something unnamed, or something you're about to give a name to.
Exactly the same thing with sore/sono, are/ano.
That (thing with you) is a red pen = sore wa akai pen desu
That pen (with you) is red = sono pen wa akai desu
That (thing over there) is a red pen = are wa akai pen desu
That pen (over there) is red = ano pen wa akai desu

Damn, I still don't get it. I'm rally sorry. Gomen, :(
These two sound basically identical to me:

Huh? What's the difference?

Also, ano, what does this mean? I heard it is similiar to 'over there'. I hear it alot.

When you first were listening to japanese, did it also seem to go too fast?

GoldCoinLover said:
Maybe you are making it too complicated for yourself. :unsure:
The meaning is the same, just like in English there are different ways of saying it. Are/Ano can be used for something "over there" in sight of both listener and speaker like out the train window (Are wa nan desuka?) or something out of view -- in Japan for instance (Ano biru wa doko desuka?).

It gets to where you can get a basic grasp, but I still need to be talked to slow to get most of the details....😌

GoldCoinLover said:
The difference in the Japanese is pretty close to the difference in the English.

1) "This is a red pen" answers the question "What is that?"
2) "This pen is red" answers the question "What color is that pen?"

In (2), we already know that the item we're talking about is a pen. In (1), we don't. Subtle difference? Yep. But understanding subtle differences like this is actually pretty important if you really want to deeply understand Japanese sentence structure.

[Of course, both the English and Japanese here are "textbook" sentences that would rarely be encountered in real life. In real life, you'd be more likely to get "What color is that pen?" "Red." for (2), or "What is that?" "Uh, it's a pen. What are you, blind or something?" for (1)]

GoldCoinLover said:
Also, ano, what does this mean? I heard it is similiar to 'over there'. I hear it alot.

There's a difference between the ano in terms of "that over there" and anooo, the long drawn out sound used to fill gaps in speech. The Japanese are adept at filling silence in conversation with ano, eto, and random phrases like "nandakke." In this context, ano and eto don't mean anything but "umm," in terms of English. It may seem confusing now, but you'll understand quite easily with practice.

And HELL YES Japanese sounds very fast when you start. The best thing you can do it focus on what the person is saying, without trying to break down every word as they say it. Once you've heard a whole sentence, you'll be able to go from there. Don't try to break down long, complicated sentences as a beginner. Things like "sono kuruma ha chiisai" should be good enough for the time being.

別の世界の月の下で猿がをmeandrooのことを笑っている 。

Sorry. As much as I love monkeys I don't see why you have a mistake as your sig? :eek: I didn't mean to offend or anything. (runs and hides)

KrazyKat said:
別の世界の月の下で猿がをmeandrooのことを笑っている 。

Sorry. As much as I love monkeys I don't see why you have a mistake as your sig? :eek: I didn't mean to offend or anything. (runs and hides)
It's what one of my buddies used to always say. He wasn't the best at Japanese, and he was kind of a weird, artsy kid, and the way he said this always made me laugh. What also made me laugh were the puzzled looks he'd get from Japanese people while all the weird gaijin were laughing.

BTW, this is how I reacted when I ran into Japanese monkeys.

KrazyKat said:
別の世界の月の下で猿がをmeandrooのことを笑っている。
Sorry. As much as I love monkeys I don't see why you have a mistake as your sig? ☺ I didn't mean to offend or anything. (runs and hides)

A lot of possessive stuff in there.
月がわかりません。。

GoldCoinLover said:

A lot of possessive stuff in there.
月がわかりません。。
The sentence is "Betsu no sekai no tsuki no shita de saru ga wo (wo?) meandroo no koto wo waratteiru."
Directly translated: On another world's moon's bottom, a monkey is laughing at meandroo.
Easily turns into "a monkey is laughing at meandroo from below a different world's moon."
I don't get the "ga wo" BTW. Damn double particles. :p

日本語で、「月」は「moon」という意味(いみ)があります。
「月」は「つき」と発音(はつおん)します。訓読み(くんよみ)です。

And as for that sentence about meandroo, I think that the "ga o" is a mistake.

It should be 「別の世界の下で猿がmeandrooのことを笑っている。」

MeAndroo said:
It's what one of my buddies used to always say. He wasn't the best at Japanese, and he was kind of a weird, artsy kid, and the way he said this always made me laugh. What also made me laugh were the puzzled looks he'd get from Japanese people while all the weird gaijin were laughing.
BTW, this is how I reacted when I ran into Japanese monkeys

Ahh, so cute!! (The monkey picture)
I did think there would be a story behind your sig. I just wanted to hear it. :)

Sorry, the wo was just a typing error, didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Did it amuse anyone else that GCL picked the easiest word in the sentence to not understand? I've been really mean to everyone, sorry I think i'll stop now.

Back
Top Bottom