What's new

I found some Japanese lessons with a native speaker

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
I just called the japan american society where I live. A man called me back, and said they are going to japan soon. They said I'm welcome to come. But I can't afford, it hehe.

He's been there 20 times, and he can speak it, and read it fluently! I think he's american, he seemed happy I was interested in it, and said for me to call him back at 7:00 PM today and we can talk some japanese.

He also said he is a master of the katana, and japanese swordsmanship. He teaches karate (Ive taken it before, when i was 7, this is how i began interestd in japanese). He said a naitve japanese person is going to teach japanese in a few days, and I'm welcome to come. I will have to get a job, though, because my parents can't pay for it, nor can I.

I know some basic phrases, the kana, etc, some kanji. But I cant make sentences because I always get the particles mixed up

I got laid off of my job a few months ago, and have been looking for one ever since, with no luck.

This place is in glendale, about 15 minutes away, so it's not too far. I'd gladly drive there..

I'll update this after I speak to him.

I also got 25 dollars for christmas! Now, if cacawata won't send me the book (Haven't heard from him) I'll go buy one off amazon or Barnes and noble as well as take the classes..

Soon I will not be so bad at japanese!

That sounds like an awesome opportunity, GCL ! I can usually understand what you're trying to say so I'm sure anyone you meet there will also. The most important ones to remember are "de" "ni" "ga" "no" and "to" (I know, it's most) -- "wa" and "wo" are often left out, esp in conversation. Hopefully the center will have a small reading area of beginners texts and phrasebooks. I would send one of mine but they're pretty beat up and anyway I still rely on them for those things I haven't used since the last trip. :p

Ahh I see. I don't know 'de' or 'to' yet. 'ga' is the subject marker, ni I see as for direction, 'to go' places, used with ikimasu (to go), no is possessive.

Hmm o and wa are left out in conversation? Interesting

I guess because it is understood.

Aww I'm glad you can understand what im saying.

Elizabeth-san, are you a guy as well?

GoldCoinLover said:
Ahh I see. I don't know 'de' or 'to' yet. 'ga' is the subject marker, ni I see as for direction, 'to go' places, used with ikimasu (to go), no is possessive.

Hmm o and wa are left out in conversation? Interesting
Well, not all the time. Maybe I'm not as much of a guy as I thought. :p

But you're more likely to leave out what is in parenthesis than not. Thankgiving (wa), nani (wo) shiteta ? What did you do for Thanksgiving ? or Thanksgiving (wa) donna yotei ga arimasuka? What are your plans for Thanksgiving ?

Elizabeth said:
Well, not all the time. Maybe I'm not as much of a guy as I thought. :p

But you're more likely to leave out what is in parenthesis than not. Thankgiving (wa), nani (wo) shiteta ? What did you do for Thanksgiving ? or Thanksgiving (wa) donna yotei ga arimasuka? What are your plans for Thanksgiving ?

Yeah, I'm amazed at this. I remember my friend on the nintendo forums (There's a thread there on japanese lessons! It's great. the sony forums dont have this nor do they care) he took japanese classes in his high school (most don't have this). He only took them for a few months, and he can already make sentences correct with grammar! (Of course, not perfect, but damn thats pretty good, dont ya think?) I wish I could do this. :(

I just wish I was forunate to be able to afford a class, which is why I hope to find a part time job soon.

Yeah, I remember you've posted some high school friend's sentences. I just don't think they are really any better than things I've seen you write. :? And some are actually less grammatical.

Japanese doesn't have a lot of complicated rules you need a class to memorize. Basically as long as you use the Subject-Object-Verb word order, the proper verb tense and some elementary vocab you are in business. So try it....it may completely take over your life and you'll never be able to stop. :p

Hehe, thank you elizabeth that was nice of you.

Hmm I need to learn more verb tenses. I see 'arimasu' 'imasu' 'shimashita' 'shite' so much, 'iru' , etc. But I dont understand them very well. :(

GoldCoinLover said:
Now, if cacawata won't send me the book (Haven't heard from him) I'll go buy one off amazon or Barnes and noble as well as take the classes..
Fear not, sir. Christmas was somewhat of a tornado of events! I shall go to the post office soon.

Hey, good for you GCL. I hope it works out. Being tutored has specific advantages that books and online lessons just can't give.

Back
Top Bottom