What's new

I can't tell what kanji these are.

Shirotaka

Registered
9 Oct 2014
Hi. I am doing some rank certificates for my martial arts group, and the ones I am supposed to model them after have some kanji on them, that I don't know what they are. And, I'd hate to be that guy who has stupid things written on certificates because he didn't do the proper research. I have 3 sets of kanji. The one in the box is from our KYU ranks, and red ones, are from our DAN ranks. I hope they are good Japanese, and I'd like to put them into a more readable font. Any way, any help would be greatly appreciated.
KyuKanji.png
DanKanji1.png
DanKanji2.png

If nobody in your organization knows anything about Japanese, why not just do it in English? All three of those look awful.

If nobody in your organization knows anything about Japanese, why not just do it in English? All three of those look awful.
We mostly wanted both English and Japanese on the certificates because our martial arts roots are very Japanese, and we wanted to pay homage to those roots.
I can speak Japanese - some, I lived there for 2 years 30 years ago, but sadly much of the language, particularly the Kanji has left my brain. These were just so bad I couldn't begin to look a lot of them up in my Nelson's Kanji dictionary.
The one in the box I've managed to figure out a few of them: The Kana are pretty easy to pick out , but the kanji aren't so easy.
this is what I have so far.
上記の

ここに一級であわことを証する

Translation wise it's supposed to say something like:
The above mentioned student has completed all requirements for advancement to the rank of 1st Kyu - We so testify.

We mostly wanted both English and Japanese on the certificates because our martial arts roots are very Japanese, and we wanted to pay homage to those roots.
I can speak Japanese - some, I lived there for 2 years 30 years ago, but sadly much of the language, particularly the Kanji has left my brain. These were just so bad I couldn't begin to look a lot of them up in my Nelson's Kanji dictionary.
The one in the box I've managed to figure out a few of them: The Kana are pretty easy to pick out , but the kanji aren't so easy.
this is what I have so far.
上記の

ここに一級であわことを証する

Translation wise it's supposed to say something like:
The above mentioned student has completed all requirements for advancement to the rank of 1st Kyu - We so testify.
I found perhaps a little better version of one of the DAN rank kanji. perhaps this is a little easier to read:
DanKanji2a.png

上記資格を授与す

I.e., that sentence doesn't contain the kanji "dan". The kanji is written in a line above it.

Back
Top Bottom