What's new

I am thinking of giving up going to language exchange events.

Muz1234

Sempai
Reaction score
Is this a good idea? I don't get a particular Japanese partner at all. All we do, is just talk and have dinner and then ciao ciao.

bentenmusume

(formerly known as jt_)
Reaction score
I'm sorry. Not to be rude, but haven't we discussed this before?

These are language exchange events, not dating hookup events. Why would you be assuming that the girls there are looking for a serious relationship rather than for language exchange, which is the stated purpose of the events?

I mean, I'm not going to attack you for wanting a "particular Japanese partner" (although one could argue that your approach and attitude towards this is counterproductive at best), but if that's your goal, you should probably stick to dating apps and whatnot, where you can at least be assured that the other parties are also looking for the same thing you are.

But the answer to your question is: of course. If you don't actually care about language exchange, then you should probably stop going to language exchange events and wasting other people's time.

Last edited:

TGI-ECT

後輩
Reaction score
I just went through an interesting experience.

Firstly, I really wasn't sure what exactly a "language exchange" was. I guessed, of course, but knowing for sure is different. So I did a search and that was interesting.

Then, and this is where my brain took a kick --- as usual --- how can it be considered a 'language exchange' unless the individuals participating are using only their own language to converse. If only one language is being spoken, that isn't an 'exchange' is it?

Sorry, Muz1234, for being so weird in your thread.

bentenmusume

(formerly known as jt_)
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you read, but it's not just one language being spoken. In a Japanese-English language exchange, for example, the idea is that you'd have a Japanese native speaker and an English native speaker alternating between speaking Japanese and English, thus helping each other learn each other's language.

It's typically _not_, say, a Japanese native speaking only in Japanese and an English native responding in English, mostly because this isn't how people converse and doesn't actually help the participants improve in the languages they're learning.

TGI-ECT

後輩
Reaction score
Well, I admit I rather quickly perused the information Google offered and I got the impression that it is a language-learning process, but I wasn't getting the impression it was a dual-language learning situation. But maybe I was trying to get the answer too quickly.

So you are stating that maybe the first thirty minutes will be in one language --- say Japanese? Then the next thirty minutes will be in English? Something like that?

Or just a complete mix of languages right from the start? Seems like some sort of parameter needs to be set before getting together.

I'll tell ya', though --- I sure wouldn't want to be trying to play a dating game at the same time as this language exchange process was going on. Be way, way too complicated.

Muz1234

Sempai
Reaction score
Ok, I am going to stop going for now. I am going to look for a hobby or something. That would be a better choice, right?