What's new

I am in Japan!

playaa

Dog Youkai
15 Jan 2004
Well I just got to my hotel, it is not too bad.. But I shortened my stay I think I am better suited to go stay at a big hotel. Ryokan idea was not good.. Anyways I am staying at the Musashi-Seki station (closest).

Oh and trying to get through Japan's rail system for first time alone is a bad idea. I was lost on the rail system for 4 hours! :D

I think I will make a trip to Ginza tonite or Roppongi, any tips on understanding how to use the fare/ticket system? That has me confused
😌

Yay! You're in Japan! I'm glad you had a safe trip and got there okay. Take care over there, have fun, and keep us updated... :p

Watch out for the barf puddles in Roppongi, they usually trail all the way into the station...

PS: Congratulations, and welcome to Japan

playaa said:
...any tips on understanding how to use the fare/ticket system? That has me confused
😌
Buy your ticket from the guy seated at the turnstyles... he will let you know exactly how much you need to pay. If your Japanese is good enough, ask him how many stops to your destination. Most importantly, make sure you find the right "ban-sen" (number platform) to get on to, so you don't wind up going the wrong direction.... you can just ask the dude "Roppongi-yuki no densha ha nanbansen desuka"... and he will let you know.

Tokyo isn't too difficult to navigate(at least the Metro) once your over the initial shock... just keep your eyes peeled for the romanized names of each station as you pass by.

Best of luck

PS: if you go out tonite, you will have to stay out until 6 or so until the trains start running again (and should prolly hurry, caus I think the metro stops running at 12:30--someone know better than me?)... Taxis are NOT cheap... and not really recommended...

which train goes to ____?
___-iki wa do re des ka?

which platform?
nam-bahn sen des ka?

how long does it take?
jikan wa dono-kurai des ka?

how many stops from here?
koko kara ikutsu-mey des ka?

which station?
dono eki des ka?

do i have to change trains?
norikai-eh wa?

please write it down.
kai-ite kudasai.

romaji approximation 🎈

Last edited:
have fun :D

don't forget to think about the last trains before you get stuck out in the middle of nowhere :D

chiquiliquis said:
PS: if you go out tonite, you will have to stay out until 6 or so until the trains start running again (and should prolly hurry, caus I think the metro stops running at 12:30--someone know better than me?)... Taxis are NOT cheap... and not really recommended...

BAHAHA I wish I woukd have known that, I was so lost in shinjuku I think I almost walked to ginza, anyways I saw all the guys laying cardboard down to sleep on infront of the station. I was like :? After going through streets of shinjuku being pulled by my arm to go into every strip club, or "massage, sex 3000yen!" from every corner I was on my fifth or sixth kirin and I find out trains were closed!

Had to pay a taxi 7000yen and took him an hour to get me back here, finally. 🙂

Its hilarious, so far.. every J-guy has the same hairstyle only differences is its either light brown/black, bleach blonde, fuzzy or fixed. lol

playaa said:
Its hilarious, so far.. every J-guy has the same hairstyle only differences is its either light brown/black, bleach blonde, fuzzy or fixed. lol

:D :D :D :D :D

All the older men look the same in their white buttondowns, tie, and dark suits.

Run into any bicycles yet? In any city in Japan there are millions of bicycles. In front of a train station in Osaka, Mad Pierrot and I found an underground parking lot just for bicycles.

have fun playaa! 👍 👍 by the way, what are you there for? just for fun, business, etc.? i hope to go there one day, so if possible, could you tell us how much you spent while there? 😌

My goodness. 7000 yen for a taxi. Might as well stay out the whole night and have made better use of that money (if you had known, that is)! :p You could've gotten two and a-third "massage, sex 3000yen" with that money. :D :D :D
Have fun!

Yo Playaaaaaaaa you lucky bastard :D :D ......Have fun there dude!! Hope you won't get lost anymore though :) .....keep us informed and make PICS PICS (wimin too that is 😊 )

How long are you here for? I've lived in Japan for almost 10 years now...Let me know and maybe I can meet you and take you around.

im hopefully going over to japan for a holiday this year and my biggest worry is getting lost...especially on the trains.. eep! It all looks really busy and really confusing. Im so rubbish with trains that i've got on the wrong one plenty of times here in england ...so i will be a million times worse when i cant even understand the language very well. XD

I hope you take plenty of photos and show them to us. Keep us updated.

Have fun dude!! 🙂

Porl''

playaa said:
BAHAHA I wish I woukd have known that, I was so lost in shinjuku I think I almost walked to ginza, anyways I saw all the guys laying cardboard down to sleep on infront of the station. I was like :?
Natsukashii, na... That takes me back.

Had to pay a taxi 7000yen and took him an hour to get me back here, finally. 🙂
Yes... I think this happens to many people. I had to have the taxi drive me from Shinjuku to Asakusa... it was almost as much. Though I had to be at work the next morning by 8... so staying out all night was not an option.

And speaking of staying out all night... You'd be surprised at how busy the clubs in party districts like Roppongi and Shinjuku stay throughout the night--everyone's in the same boat... no trains till 5 am, I think... I don't think you've truly experienced Japan until you have pulled an all nighter in Tokyo
:p

Musashi "seki"... are you sure it's not Musashi Sakai? Do you know which train line you're on? 'Chuo-sen'? I live in a town on the border with western Tokyo... if you're game for chillin' I would be happy to come in to the city... Perhaps we could get a litttle "welcoming party" going, since Buddha Smoker also seems to be in the area... anyhow, keep us posted 👍

Offtopic : Buddha Smoker...I loooved reading you logs :) (took me a few hours to read LOL).....I learn lots from other ppl's experience...so one day I won't have as many problems as some of you had...this I hope though 😌 ....

Back
Top Bottom