What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

I-adjectives modifying a noun

TexMurphy01

先輩
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Okay, so you have your positive form i-adjectives which modify nouns, right, like 'yasashii hon' or something. Well I was going over negative versions of these, and instead of 'yasashiku nai hon' I said 'yasashiku arimasen hon'. Now my teacher told me this was incorrect, and I'm fine with that, but I coundn't seem to get my mind around the explanation given.

I would really appreciate a nice, simple but comprehensive explanation for this if possible.

Thanks in advance.

nekojita

先輩
Reaction score
You do not normally use polite forms in modifying clauses (things that go in front of nouns).

So
この本は易しいです。
kono hon wa yasashii desu = this book is easy
but
これは易しい本です。
kore wa yasashii hon desu = this is an easy book
and you wouldn't use "yasashii desu hon".

"arimasen" is a polite form of "nai" here, the same as "yasashii desu" is a polite form of "yasashii", so although "yasashiku arimasen" is not incorrect grammar by itself, you don't use it in front of a noun.

The same applies if you were using a longer modifier, like a sentence (which you probably haven't come to in your class yet, but you can use other things in front of nouns in a similar way to a simple adjective).

For example, you can say:
妹とパイを作りました。
imouto to pai wo tsukurimashita = I made a pie with my sister.

If you wanted to say "I ate the pie I made with my sister." then we have to make "tsukurimashita" into plain form:

妹と作ったパイを食べました。
imouto to tsukutta pai wo tabemashita.

Even though we use a plain form, "tsukutta" in the middle, the whole of the sentence is the same level of politeness as the others ("masu/desu") because we use "tabemashita" at the end. "imouto to tsukutta" acts pretty much like an adjective, just describing the sort of pie I ate.

Top Bottom