What's new

hyperlinking is bad

jeisan

Kongming
24 Feb 2003
here at the japan forum we frown upon those who would try to use pictures hosted by the forum and eat up all our bandwidth. so much so that even our admin thomas refuses to let himself do it. :D

Attachments

• jreferror.jpg
    jreferror.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 328
Did that happen earlier on this site? :D
Edit: okay, looks like this happened a month ago. :D

Hyperlinking is when someone from another website links images from this site, and that site is not part of this domain. As a result, it eats up the bandwidth (transfer of data to and from a server) from this site. So often the images are blocked from loading if they're not loaded from this domain.

I think I must have been guilty of this.
I thought I had just found a neat way to use
mouse commands to repost an image after viewing
it in a new window to get its addy.
I'll not do it again.

So cannot be viewed here when it is viewed through somewhere else?
If the other site is not being used it can be viewed from the original site?
In the past I had used such images either for a tag on another b.board or just to print out a cool pic I liked. I can't make websites so no worries about that from me.

It won't happen again. Sorry.

Originally posted by Sukotto So cannot be viewed here when it is viewed through somewhere else?
If the other site is not being used it can be viewed from the original site?
In the past I had used such images either for a tag on another b.board or just to print out a cool pic I liked. I can't make websites so no worries about that from me.

It won't happen again. Sorry. [/B]
It can be viewed from this site anytime. For other sites, linking images that belong here will instead display an alternate image (or broken image, if the admin desires) stating that hyperlinking is not allowed.
Site owners usually have a limited amount of bandwidth per month that they pay for. If the bandwidth is reached, the site will be shut down for the remaining of the month or the owner has to pay the extra fees for the overusage.

lol no it wasnt you sukotto. that screencap was taken in november a couple days after the forum moved and all the pics links were still hooked up to the old domain. i was just teasing thomas about it. was only like that for about 5 minutes anyway...

This probably occurred during a server reboot or during a temporary deactivation of the mod_rewrite module. Actually, all images @jref.com are "hotlink-protected". Upon closer inspection, I was quite shocked to notice how many people/sites linked to our smilies and avatars.

:eek:

oh ok that makes sense, i was thinking they were taking random ones from everyone. wondering why would anyone want my av and what could they possible use it for.

hyperlinking is take a pic that is hosted somewhere jref for exampled the using html to paste it in another webpage somewhere else like if you have a geocities website or something. viewing the pick in its own window isnt the same thing. peoples sig pictures on here are all hyperlinked from somewhere else where they are stored so its not nessecarily a bad thing. though you shouldnt do it from jref since we have enough trouble keeping up with the server load as it is.

Here's an example: :D

Jref = someone's beautiful house
bandwidth = toilet paper
visitors = people who go into the house to look around and to use toilet paper (from inside the house)

hyperlinking = people from outside the house taking a rope to lasso and steal toilet paper though the window without having to take a single step into the house

problem = running out of toilet paper. the house cannot function without its dear toilet paper. the landlord scolds the house owner for not having toilet paper and will close his house unless he buys more toilet paper.

Ok, bad example. :D

not really! i think it's pretty good!
it was the subject of one of my father's bathroom lectures
"you kids need to use only one sheet!"
"you don't need all of that paper!"

TELL YOUR DAD HE NEEDS..........

An air jet toilet. Mine would flush my 15 LB cat down with a full roll of toilet paper on all 4 legs !!!! It uses less water by far !! not that expensive, but it is noisey. It has an air tank that compresses full when the water refills it. About 12 - 15 LBS of air stores in it till you hit the button and WHOOOOSH whatever is in, is gone!! Almost pops your ears from the air pressure !!

Frank

Back
Top Bottom