What's new

How would you write Welcome?

David Hallgren

New comer
2 Mar 2004
How should I write Welcome on my homepage?

Right now I'm using Irasshai, but I'm not sure that it has the same feeling as Welcome. Any suggestions?

Konnichiwa David Hallgren-san!
I think Irasshai is the best expression. 👍

And an archaic word of "Irasshai" is "Oideyasu" or "Okoshiyasu". Those words are very tastefully. But I don't know that those words much well with your homepage or not. :p

NANGI

I think both いらっしゃい (irasshai) or ようこそ (youkoso) will do. 'Youkoso' is stronger and more open. This is my perception of both words:

ようこそ (youkoso)
Man standing in front of a mansion and extends out his arms, saying "Youkoso! Welcome to my mansion!"

いらっしゃい (irasshai)
Woman standing at the door of a tea shop and bows, saying "Irasshai".

Haha... those scenarios above are what I perceive of those two words. And also, in my opinion, "youkoso" seems more used by men, while "irasshai" seems more used by women. But I'm NOT saying that those words are definitely restricted to the respective genders.

Anyway, hope it helps. =)

And if you're going to use "youkoso" it should probably be
"ウェブサイトへようこそ" with へ instead of に。 Can anyone explain why that sounds more natural?

Its alot softer than ni (aurally). Ive always used ni with yokoso when i meet people at the airport "Adelaide e yokoso!"

Ewok85 said:
Its alot softer than ni (aurally). Ive always used ni with yokoso when i meet people at the airport "Adelaide e yokoso!"
Yes, I know it's used for cities and in airports, but for example "welcome to my home" you'd use "ni." Here's something my tutor sent on this a while back....

Back
Top Bottom