What's new

How would you translate this?

IssieChemin

Registered
8 Jun 2015
''いびきと腹の虫がハモった''? I know it's about the snoring and belly rumble (or at least, an empty stomach) but I can't seem to figure out how to translate that phrase completely D: I'm still in newborn baby steps with Japanese, I know the basics, how to read the kanas and a few kanjis (35 at most), so I really need help with this phrase, as I can't understand what it's traying to say, and as expected, the translators don't help either, as Japanese is already a very interpretative language D: So any help will be gladly taken and appreciated! :)

If I'm not mistaken, ハモる(or はもる) is a kind of foreign-loan word meaning "to harmonize" or "to sing in harmony".
So your phrase above is talking about how the snoring is harmonizing with the stomach growling.

Thank you! I was really desperate, and I think your interpretation makes sense in the context that the phrase was placed, so I get an idea of how to translate that one now, although, if there's any other interpretation I'll take it too! Thank you again, truly!

Just let you know that the word "ハモる" is a slang and I am not sure if you can find this word in a basic Japanese dictionary. If you are a beginner learning Japanese, I would be very surprised if you know this word. Good job of translating いびき and 腹の虫 parts! Sounds like you are working hard studying Japanese!

Back
Top Bottom