What's new

How would i be able to study in Japan?

RanRane

先輩
17 Nov 2006
When I'm 18, i want to move to Japan, for a gap year after my college years. Basically, I want to move there and learn Japanese. But the thing is, is there any University/College type places that allow you to learn Japanese from a very basic knowledge? And also, how much would this cost for a year? And would i be able to have a job etc.?

I'm basically in a similar situation except I'm planning on going after I finish my Masters degree in Australia.

I've been looking at the Japanese programs at Keio University and Waseda University, both offer intensive Japanese programs, even for those who never studied the language, you might want to have a look at their website.

I'm sure theres more places, so I will let the others help you out with that

I'm at Waseda University right now, actually; though I am only here on a one-year study abroad program through my home college. There is a program I believe called BEKKA that is the intense program for foreigners, but I know little about it.

Keio is our rival school, and I know next to nothing about their programs for foreigners, though I have met more than a few people who go there.

So, how much does it cost roughly to go there and study? And if i was 18? Also, how do you support yourslef and where do you live etc?

I've heard that it would be easier to transfer to a Japanese university once you get into one in England. As for just going there to study as soon as you're 18 I don't know about the application process for foreign students.

From what I've searched up, rent prices in Tokyo aren't much different from London for the tiny apartments. You could look into flat-sharing, I beleive this is a growing trend.

Food in the right places (as in any country) is good for a decent price, ofcourse it would help if you can cook.

There are many topics in this forum that have advice on VISAs as well as some questions you asked. Have a look around mate!

Hum... I've applied for a partnership program between my school and Tohoku university and they recommand at least 10 000$ for one year's expenses

But if you are staying under the student visa, it is possible to do part-time job, on conditions that you get permission both from the school you're attending and the immigration office. There's a limitation of max working hour per week, though.

My school and Waseda pretty much take care of me, so I don't have to worry about living arrangements. Living here is certainly not cheap; I've been told that after a certain amount of time here, we're allowed to work as much as 14 hours per week, but that could hardly be considered enough to support oneself here. Most programs will require you to prove you have the funds necessary to live before you can come.

So, would you recommned if i were to study Japanese, that it would be ab etter Idea to go to a university in the rural areas? Like smaller, so that way i would have to use my skills i learnt in the language?

nice gaijin, just want to ask, hows the college life at Waseda, I really want to go there after my current university studies, and I've been hearing alot of great things about Waseda

So, would you recommned if i were to study Japanese, that it would be ab etter Idea to go to a university in the rural areas? Like smaller, so that way i would have to use my skills i learnt in the language?
No, I wouldn't say that. The company you keep, however, will be a factor in your absorption of the language.

Immersion is very useful in learning a language, if you keep yourself in a bubble of gaijins, you won't be using it nearly as much, therefor don't expect it to improve as fast as if you were making Japanese friends.

nice gaijin, just want to ask, hows the college life at Waseda, I really want to go there after my current university studies, and I've been hearing alot of great things about Waseda
Similar to your study of the language, your company will greatly determine your experience here. I'm have a great time here, if it means anything! I strongly recommend getting involved in some kind of club activity; the sense of school spirit here is quite amazing. Sports events are especially impressive.

Back
Top Bottom