What's new

How would humanity end?

How would the human race end?

• Nuclear war (by humans)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Biological weapons (by humans)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Special germs/viruses show up naturally and destroy mankind (the Avian Flu? maybe)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Asteroid/comet from space

• Another non-human species wipes out mankind and establishes itself as the dominant species

• Other

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
13 Jan 2005
I believe it is only a matter of time before the human race will cease to exist.

How do you think this would happen?

1. Nuclear war (by humans)
2. Biological weapons (by humans)
3. Special germs/viruses show up naturally and destroy mankind (some people think it will be the Avian Flu)
4. Asteroid/comet from space
5. Another non-human species wipes out mankind and establishes itself as the dominant species (think of the 1970s Planet of The Apes)
6. Other

Could be interesting?

I always thought it would be cool if gravity slowly failed over a week long pace. See everything floating around till the oxygen floats away and we all suffocate.

Uncle Frank

😊

Well, three have voted so far, and two have voted for other--I'm one of them.

We varmits are a strong bunch. We'll do whatever we have to to survive the on-coming plagues, ice ages, and axis shifts, and probably will, in some form or another. But, alas, our good ole friend and comforter, our age old substainer of life itself, really, will burn us all, and all life we know of with us, in a super nova. . . the likes of which only come once in a lifetime.

All the pollution are destryoing the earth slowly. And when enough years have passed, earth will not have life(trees etc.) and without trees there will be less oxygen. Our Ozon layer will eventually dissapear, and the sun will burst through, melting everything. And then we will all die. But the earth will still be there, but that is only until the sun becomes a supernova. Then everything around will be sucked in. It is very unpleasent to think about. But when earth come to this point, then we will properly have found another planet to live on, maybe. Hehe, maybe we will just die.

Current astronomy goes along he lines of the sun expanding into a red giant and swallowing the inner planets as it expands, up to earth. After that it will shrink back down into a white dwarf and eventually fades away as the last of its energy is used up. Our star is very stable and is not likely to exploded. Have alook at Stephen Baxters Evolution. An excellent book looking from mans evolution to his future when the planet finally dies.

I'll put in that by the time the earth is no longer a viable habitat, and the sun is getting large and red, humans will have found solace in spacecrafts. After that, if the Big Bang occurs again, perhaps humans can get far away enough so as not to be pulled into the collapsing universe, and slowly make their way back after the next Big Bang, finding materials in floating debris in the meanwhile. It'll be the search for the promised land!

Or, the Universe will be forever expanding, and humans will in the end be desperately looking for material. After many years of this, the space between one necessary find and another shall grow too large for humans to survive. A lonely death.

I pick other. I think we'll eat ourselves out. Unless we find a way to convert air to food.

Last edited:
Nuclear weapons definately can kill a lot of people, but I don't think they would wipe out the ENTIRE human race... bio-weapons, same thing.

I voted asteroid/comet from space since i felt like it. :) It also has a huge chance of wiping out the human race from the amount of dust would be put into the atmostphere from an impact and would surely destroy all plant life requiring photosynthesis. In reality, there is nothing we can currently do about an incoming asteroid, nuclear weapons are not an effective tool to deflect or destroy an asteroid. Asteroid 1950 DA would surely kill most humans on the planet when it is predicted to possibly hit the earth in 2880 A.D.

Of course there are many other possibilities...

- Every thing that has a beginning, has an end - :p
couldn't help my self, hehe. Goddamn matrix oracle.
But she is right though. ☝

I-robot style :D

Robots/Clones taking over the world!!! or maybe apes... but maybe Humanity will never end, because some of us.. ahum 1% of us, is pretty smart :p

First let me just say:

Frank D. White said:
I always thought it would be cool if gravity slowly failed over a week long pace. See everything floating around till the oxygen floats away and we all suffocate.
Uncle Frank
😊

^
|

That is the most awesome doomsday scenario I've heard all week--and I rented "The Day After Tomorrow" last Saturday. :devilish:

That being said, I voted "other". As it stands, I see us going one of two ways:

1) Stupidity

Maybe we blow ourselves up, maybe we all go redneck and shoot each other--or maybe we just all get the brilliant idea to stick our tounges to telephone poles in the snow and die of hypothermia--at this point I'd say any and all of the above is becoming more and more likely. Or perhaps the recent anti-teen trend amoung adults and the anti-education trend amoung youth will finally grow to the point where the older generation starts more blatantly killing off the younger generation and the kids are left too stupid to survive the onslaught.

>Pictures some wannabe gangsta' rappa' tripping over his oversized pants as a mob of old folks with pitchforks and torches runs him down<

Yeah, something like that... :D

2) Evolution

We evolve into a new species, and the old H. Sapeins dies off. Given that much of humanity's actions tend to hinder and even reverse the effects of the evolutionary process (ie: creating new technology instead of adapting to our environment, causing us to adapt to the new, artificially less hostile environment and therefore become even less fit and more dependant on technology for survival than we were before) I've all but given up hope of this happening.

Of course there's always:

3) It goes down just like in the Tool song Aenima

Some say a comet will fal from the sky
Folllowed by meteor showers and tidal waves
Followed by fault lines that cannot sit still
Followed my millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts

Here's to hopin' 👍

Well, damn! Isn't this a cheery freaking topic? I voted for non-human species to do us in, that being Godzilla, Rodan, Ghidirah and every last damn monster hibernating under Japan to come up out of the ground, go on the rampage to end all rampages and just plain wipe us out like sh*t off your ***!

:D

My bet is we'd likely die out from either from starvation or disease.

There are too many of us around. There's the explosive birth rate, people are crowding urban centers and people emigrating from rural areas. The time will come soon when none would be left to grow food (as if there's any room for growing more food).

The Earth has a finite capacity to support a set number of people. Technology helps some to extend this capacity but to a limited extent only.

So having too many people and limited resources; chances are, a lot would end up hungry and malnourished.

If that wasn't enough, crowding in the cities speeds up the incubation, mutation and spread of diseases. It is only a matter of time before a disease emerges that science could not stop.

Take your pick. We could go out starved. We could die sick. We could also be sick and starved; either way we're all in for a bleak future unless something is done. :(

That is also a good one... :D

[edit] Er, I mean Flashjeff's--man you kids type fast... [/edit]

An advanced race is either going to come put out of our self-destuctive misery, or we will blow ourselves up. Jeesh, blowing yourself up is a once in a lifetime event you know! We should all do it.

Thor said:
An advanced race is either going to come put out of our self-destuctive misery, or we will blow ourselves up. Jeesh, blowing yourself up is a once in a lifetime event you know! We should all do it.

I've always wonder that we as human might just be an experiment conducted by some advanced race. Things like natural disasters and technology breakthrough are just controlled parameters in the experiment. The goal is for the advanced race to observe and study how civilization forms and function.....

Well, one could suppose that's why "god" made us--if you were inclined to believe in him. At a certain level, the differances between "advanced race" and "diety" become rather blurry. I can certainly picture some infant deity making us for a science fair project like a human kid growing a colony of mold. 😊

Hmm, if that's the case, maybe humanity will end when "god"s mother finally tells him to "throw that disgusting thing out!" Ahh, doomsday--so many hillarious possibilities... :devilish:

I found a brilliant website recently about the future of human evolution.
There are many ideas about what will happen to mankind - some optimistic, some not.

www.human-evolution.org

There were some views that we have become so adept at bending our environment to suit our own needs, that we have a very good chance of survival. However, pollution and resources are still a major concern for everyone.

Other interesting ideas included the suggestion that we might (in the not too distant future) become more connected with machines and computers, thus speeding up our thinking and evolution. Perhaps with super advanced brains and engineered bodies, we could invent a new form of space travel and move away from Earth.

Or perhaps we can just go on fighting wars and blowing sh*t up.

godppgo said:
I've always wonder that we as human might just be an experiment conducted by some advanced race. Things like natural disasters and technology breakthrough are just controlled parameters in the experiment. The goal is for the advanced race to observe and study how civilization forms and function.....

Ever read books by Eric von Danikken or Zechariah Sitchin?

Probably by the red giant the sun will become (or go supernova). Still, the earth can be drawn towards the sun and burst like a giant bubble. But, a scientist will rocket his infant son to another planet before the planet explodes.

Back
Top Bottom