What's new

How to translate "What and why?"

Mew

後輩
20 Nov 2013
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to translate a question that could be understood by someone who has been taken a Japanese class for 3 years.

An example would be: What do you like to do and why?
Would I say it like "Nani o suru ga suki desuka. Soshite naze desuka."

Or is it possible to combine these two sentences?
I wanted to say like this to my friend: "What kind of person do you want to marry and why?"
Would I say it like this: "Donna hito o kekkon suru ga hoshii desuka. Soshite naze desuka."

Please correct my translation if they are wrong, and if possible to connect the two questions together.

Thank you.

Last edited:
将来何がやりたいですか。その理由は何ですか。

どんな人と結婚したいですか。その理由は何ですか。

Cannot use any of this for people above your status. The first one would depend on context. You would say 理想的な結婚相手はどんな人でしょうか。or something like that for the latter.

You can't join these sentences easily but if you must:

どういう理由で、どんな人と結婚したいですか。would be my guess.

将来何がやりたいですか。その理由は何ですか。

どんな人と結婚したいですか。その理由は何ですか。

Cannot use any of this for people above your status. The first one would depend on context. You would say 理想的な結婚相手はどんな人でしょうか。or something like that for the latter.

You can't join these sentences easily but if you must:

どういう理由で、どんな人と結婚したいですか。would be my guess.

Oh, I'm actually asking a friend this question, so I guess we're the same status.
Thanks for the reply though!

But... I can't really read kanji really well.
Think you can put it in romanji or hiragana for me? xD
I can read romanji, hiragana, and katakana. I'm still learning kanji.

Thank you.

Sure

しょうらいなにがやりたいですか。そのりゆはなんですか。

You can say なんでですか as a follow up in conversation instead of the second sentence which is intended to be written down.

どんなひととけっこんしたいですか。

I would generally just avoid たい questions when possible to be honest. Especially when you are not sure how close you are to the other person. It can be considered rude. Yes asking someone what they want directly is rude in Japanese. Who would have thought. That leaves you with dancing around the question and beat around the bush to try to get your answer through other means.

E.g.

りそうてきなけっこんあいてはどんなひとですか。
What is your ideal partner.

しょうらいのゆめはなんですか。
What is your dream?

すきなことはなんですか?
What (things to do/activities) do you like to do.

Japanese is really tiring sometimes I must admit.

Sure

しょうらいなにがやりたいですか。そのりゆはなんですか。

You can say なんでですか as a follow up in conversation instead of the second sentence which is intended to be written down.

どんなひととけっこんしたいですか。

I would generally just avoid たい questions when possible to be honest. Especially when you are not sure how close you are to the other person. It can be considered rude. Yes asking someone what they want directly is rude in Japanese. Who would have thought. That leaves you with dancing around the question and beat around the bush to try to get your answer through other means.

E.g.

りそうてきなけっこんあいてはどんなひとですか。
What is your ideal partner.

しょうらいのゆめはなんですか。
What is your dream?

すきなことはなんですか?
What (things to do/activities) do you like to do.

Japanese is really tiring sometimes I must admit.

Oh ok! Thank you very much!
Yeah, this is a casual friendly talk with my friend. I would never ask an older or adult this question. You know, high school teenagers just joking around. XD

Anyway thanks :)
I just wanted some questions that will kind of weird them out yet seem silly XD
Still, they will answer it (since it's like a group discussion thing in my class)

Back
Top Bottom