What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

How to translate 'それを聞いた神木と中村は「さすが、ベーやん(浜辺の愛称)」と、現場入りする前のエピソードを語った'

LeahLolita

後輩
Reaction score
Please help! This sentence is probably the most difficult one I have tried to deal with so far. I'll break it down for you guys were I'm struggling.

それを聞いた神木と中村は「さすが、ベーやん(浜辺の愛称)」と、現場入りする前のエピソードを語った

Literally, I presume: That was heard, Ryunosuke and Tomoya was, "As one would expect/(or still), 'B yan' [the beaches nickname]" and episode before's entering of the scene of the crime, was talked about.

Please try not to judge my translation skills too harshly! I have no idea how to translate two things:
1. 'B yan'? I'm presuming it means B as in the letter, and 'yan' seems to be a suffix similar to -chan, either that or it could also mean prostitude (lol) but I doubt that.
2. The order in English grammatically is too difficult for me here, should it be S: episode, O: scene of the crime, V: Talked about?? Confused....

Please help! Here's the original article if you need it: 屍人荘の殺人 インタビュー: 神木隆之介×浜辺美波×中村倫也、語り尽くす「屍人荘の殺人」 - 映画.com

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
それを聞いた modifies 神木と中村. 聞いた is not passive.
浜辺 is the surname of the actress "Hamabe", thus, it's not "beach". Her nickname "Bēyan" is from Hamabe.
現場 refers to 撮影現場 there, i.e., movie set/filming location.
語った is not passive, either.

The core of the sentence is 神木と中村はエピソードを語った. Isn't it simple who the subjects are, and what the object and verb is?

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to everything Toritoribe-san said, I have a feeling さすが might be throwing you. The nuance can be difficult to grasp at first, and translating it as "As one would expect" often doesn't make much sense (even though it does convey the underlying meaning).

「さすが(person's name)!」 is often said when the person in question does something impressive that one would consider "typical" or "representative" of them. Like if your friend マー君 is known for being really good at sports and performs some impressive athletic feat in front of you, you might say 「さすがマー君!」. This sort of sentiment is expressed more in Japanese than in English, so even natural English translations can come off a bit forced, but the nuance is along the lines of "That's our マー君, alright!" "Wow, that's just like マー君!" (or "That's just like you, マー君!" if used in direct second-person address.)

(The phrase could also be used in a "negative"/joking manner, like for someone who famously always oversleeps showing up late, etc. etc.)

Top Bottom