What's new

How to say / write a "present" note.

uisce

後輩
7 Jun 2010
Hello !

A friend of mine is leaving for Japan in a few months (hope he's not reading that forum !), and I'm thinking about a few "farewell" gifts together with a note... in Japanese.

As I absolutely don't know anything about Japanese, and as I won't obviously ask him for help... I need yours !

Just to start : How would you say "To my *nickname of the friend*" ? Does it make a difference if the person is a guy or a lady ? (Here it's a guy, but I'm curious beyond immediate needs :).)

Thanks a lot !

How to say "to" as in a salutation or greeting line ?

[Person's nickname] へ

I'm not really sure I understand what you're asking...😊

Hi again !

It would be "To..." as in a dedication.

As we could read at the beginning of a book : "To my sister, my mother, my friends..."

I hope it's more "clear", now !

Thanks !

この本を○○○○に捧げます。I dedicate this book to _______________

捧げます (dedicate to).

And there may be less formal ways. :)

I knew I had a book with a dedication in it, and I just checked. Here's what it says:

最近我が家族に加わった、長男の嫁、まりに本書を謹呈する。

That's even stiffer. haha

If it is just to write at the head of a farewell card for your friend, then [your friend's name]へ is fine.
The name part is up to the relationship between you and your friend, and age.
If you two are very close friends and you're both at school, you might write [name]ちゃんへ (if your friend is a girl) or [name]くんへ (in case your friend is a boy), for example.

Thanks for your quick answers !

What difference does it make if it's a close friend from school or not from school ?
Is this a matter of politeness between equals (or how close you are 'allowed' to be), or something like that ?

Right. undrentide-san was talking about the "age" issue. I, too, recommend to use simply [nickname of your friend]へ.

Thanks a lot !

へ then !

Let's imagine I'm Gollum and want to say "to _my_ Precious", how would I say the "my" ?

On an "easier" matter, how would I say something like :
"May you find your way in the land of the rising sun" (or other "poetic" name forJapan ?)
and at the end :
"Yours ,"

Thanks again, a lot !!!

Let's imagine I'm Gollum and want to say "to _my_ Precious", how would I say the "my" ?
The personal pronouns are usually omitted in Japanese when it is obvious form the context. Actually, "my precious" by Gollum is translated to 愛しいシト or just "precious" in Japanese.

On an "easier" matter, how would I say something like :
"May you find your way in the land of the rising sun" (or other "poetic" name forJapan ?)
and at the end :
"Yours ,"
I would say :

日出ずる国で進むべき道を見つけられますように

[your name]より

Back
Top Bottom