What's new

How to say cute affectionate things in Japanese

dadio

先輩
25 Aug 2003
I can't seem to find any expressions for what I want to say!...
like how would you say...
*huggles & cuddles* (for you)...
*hugs & kisses*
I'd love to cuddle up with you all snug & warm...
I want to snuggle.
stuff like that!...
what are the common ways of expressing affection with words in Japanese?...
any help would be much appreciated!
I want to express *innocent* affection rather than romantic or sexual affection... but I'd like to see *any* useful loving expressions!
I've trawled though a ton of Kanji in an attempt to come up with something but they don't seem to mean what I want!...
anyone have any ideas? (in Hiragana or Kanji or whatever)
please!

That is funny. I wonder how many guys have bought that before going to Japan... :D

The Japanese are not big on showing emotion or affection. They prefer showing their feelings in a more passive way.

I've never had any experience with it myself, unfortunately, but I think "Yourisoutai" (寄り添うたい)or "suriyori" (すり寄りたい) technically at least would be a couple ways to say I want to cuddle/snuggle or I want to get close, more like nestle up than hug or caress. Or probably better, let's nestle up "Yorisoumashou" (すり寄りましょう). Not sure about huggles or snug & warm....this all does sound kind of funny knowing the people. ;) Although I was given a phrase for "missing the warmth of your body" (in a maternal/affectionate way), that I'll try to find as well.

Hmmm... domo...
I kinda figured ya would say that about Japanese people!...
but my girlfriend is Japanese & she really likes that I like to *cuddle & snuggle up* & caress & things like that...
hmmm... Elizabeth...
(すり寄りましょう). ... yeah, that sounds pretty good!...
I had kinda come up with the other two before.. but that one sounds good!...
anyone else think of anything?...
I'm *sure* there are other ways of getting across the meaning & sentiment if not the actual direct translation!...
& I'd love to know the missing the warmth of your body one!...
or maybe something like "I miss the feeling of your soft smooth skin"... or "miss holding (or long to hold) you close"...
"how I long to glide my soft fingers over your body"...
anything ya might think of that sounds nice or romantic or even sexy or kinda naughty...or playful... any loving expressions at all would be great!

😄

Yeah, well...and that's true a lot of the time. I've lived with a Japanese person for 7 years almost. They are just not as emotional as us Westerners. If you are with one that is as emotional and affectionate as you are,though, that's good...well, in some ways, anyway...

Originally posted by dadio
Hmmm... domo...
but my girlfriend is Japanese & she really likes that I like to *cuddle & snuggle up* & caress & things like that...
hmmm... Elizabeth...
(すり寄りましょう). ... yeah, that sounds pretty good!...
Yeah, I think either すり寄りましょう or 寄り添うましょう are fine. The latter (寄り添っている) I've even seen in the context of children clinging to their mother, and if you wanted the added emphasis of "hold close" or "grab on" it can be modified with "pittari to ---- " to mean tightly or without breathing room.
😄

As for missing the warmth of your body, that would be....:

Anata no nukumori wo koishii. (貴方の温もりを恋しい)

Hope this helps a little :)

Sounds nice!...
but 貴方... is that not kinda "respectful dear"...
forgive my feeble Japanese language skills!...
for a husband & wife?...
if not.. then that's great...
otherwise... could ya give me some ideas for something a bit less formal...
would it be possible to just have a name?...
"Dadio no nukumori wo koishii."...
or maybe...
other terms like... "your sweetie" or "your loving Dadio" or "your love" or something like that?...

& please, any ideas for affectionate terms & expressions...
please share them!...
your help is very much appreciated!
Anyone have some playful naughty expressions?... maybe they are more common?
Domo arigato!

You can just use her name or "kimi" or something. Anata is more like "dear" when coming from a woman.

D'oh!.. ah...
yes... that makes more sense now...
sorry for my stupidity!...
thank you very much for explaining that & helping me out!...
if anyone has more ideas... please share them!

😄

hmmm...
also, you all say that Japanese aren't as affectionate as Westerners...
are you sure that's really the case?...
maybe it is for older generations... but I think the teenagers & 20 somethings growing up now especially... are more open with their affection!...
maybe I'm completely wrong!... also... at least from my experience, Japanese women tend to be very unaffectionate around other Japanese... but when it's just two people they are really quite playful & actually, alot more errr... kinda *frisky* than ya might think!...
(On the other hand I have heard people say that the exact opposite is the case... I'm just speaking from personal experience!)
I think what you say is true about the men though...
I haven't heard of any Japanese man who is so affectioante & passionate!...
my sister was kinda going out with a Japanese work mate of mine...
& she found that he *said* that he loved her & lots of nice things all the time... but that he was really very unaffectionate & awkward in... certain situations... & not very passionate.
Oh well... everyone's different I guess!... :) ...
sorry for going off topic there!

don't J-women have the rep of being "maguro onna"?
but then I shouldn't generalise, because although people say J-men are not so passionate/affectionate my J-hubby is..... 😍

maguro onna?...
what's that... tuna?...
or like a cold fish or something?:)
hehehe...
yeah, I *have* heard that...
but that's *definitely* not my experience!!!...
my girlfriend is *hot!*...
she's ummm.. more highly sexed than me really!...
I really like that!
I *think* this may be because she has lived outside of Japan for quite a while though!...
maybe in Japan... most people keep very unaffectionate...
but then again...
what about all those love hotels, eh?...
I betchya the Japanese aren't so unaffectionate in them!!!...
I think it's more of a cold "outward appearance" with most younger Japanese at least...
I think in a one on one situation... they generally get pretty fired up!
😌 - jmho!

I have had western men tell me that after being with their J-woman that they found them to be just as cold as they once thought J-men were. I think it definitely goes both ways.

As I've said many times before, my husband was very affectionate and "hands on"(and not shy about it) while we were dating and in the early stages of marriage. He can still get touchy-feely sometimes, but now, he is more into the conservative, bread-winner mode than touchy-feely, overly affectionate mode.

I must admit that I'm very emotional and affectionate, and sometimes it is very difficult for me to look past the more stereotypical passive way the Japanese have for showing affections. I think to them, actions speak louder than words(i.e. some kind gesture(not in the physical sense)). Mainly, I believe they trust that the other person loves them and to them, showing that much affection and saying "I love you" all the time is too much. I once had a Japanese person tell me that if I man kept saying "I love you", they would think of him as a playboy... :p

Hmmm...
interesting comments!...ummm... Rachel is it?...
I don't know any of you well... so I'm not going to pry into your personal life... *but*...
when you say "after being with" do you mean after they have had sex with... or after being in a relationship for a while?
Being touchy/feely is very important to me!...
the thought of making love without huggling & cuddling & little kisses afterwards (as completely lame as that might sound coming from a guy!) makes me feel kinda sad!
Making love *has* to include touchy affectionate stuff in my mind!...
or else... it's just sex.
What you are saying about if a J-woman hears "I love you" all the time from someone they would just think of them as a playboy sounds pretty right!...
I kinda can't help doing that...
& I remember being out with my J-girlfriend with a J-friend of hers & her friend saying (in Japanese) that I was something along those lines...
that's a pretty sad way to think!... saying "I love you" isn't exactly something that anyone takes lightly... & I wouldn't be saying it if I didn't mean it...
but there's *definitely* something in the Japanese mindset that doesn't like to hear such open admissions of love like that.
Kinda strange.
I've only been with my J-girlfriend for over a year now...
but I must say that I really do love her to bits!...
though I'm pretty sure there are times when maybe she feels a bit smothered by my affections!...
I'd hate to think that if we stayed together that she'd eventually become less & less affectionate towards me... (naturally, that's gonna happen in all long term relationships)... but I mean that she would become cold & more typically "Japanese"..
hmmm...
interesting... but this is maybe getting a bit off topic!...
how about some more useful affectionate or even naughty J-expressions?
😄

No offensive, but maybe there should be another bulletin board for these sorts of sensitive outpourings. 😌

If you wanna sound cute add "Desu ne" at the end of everything u say =P

It'll make u sound a bit gay ~ but it's cute ? =P

I dont know any love love words o_O;
Whenever Japanese people tend to talk affectionate they just talk dirty =P

Hmmm...
I'm not trying to sound *cute* all the time!...
give me a break!
I'm just looking for some nice loving expressions in Japanese...
& actually, I find it *quite* interesting that essentially, so far... there doesn't really seem to be any!...
that fact alone reveals so much...
how about you or someone else shares some of the "dirty talk" then?
Ya can get as filthy as ya want!...
I'd like to hear what the commonly used expressions for when two people are in the mood are in Japanese!

Hmmm...
give me a break!
& actually, I find it *quite* interesting that essentially, so far... there doesn't really seem to be any!...
I'd like to hear what the commonly used expressions for when two people are in the mood are in Japanese!
Well, it's hard to say, but showing a minimal interest in the language and respect for the people here before asking us to "talk dirty" with you just may get a more favorable response....

Hmmm...
give me a break!

You should watch Adult Video ~ lots of dirty talk you can learn =P
I dont think it's appropriate to have adult language on a message board which is used by younger people as well ~ not good to corrupt their minds :eek:

?...
Elizabeth?...
I'm not too sure I know what you mean...
I *do* know that I have a very big interest in the Japanese language though...
& I have for some time...
but I'm only just starting to learn it properly now...
& the way the characater system works is quite complex...
perhaps some things I have said have been taken in the wrong way?...
I honestly never meant any disrespect!
Forgive me if I've come accross as rude to anyone!
I was just giving my personal opinion on some things...
& I tend to go overboard on exclamation marks just out of habit.
Gaki-san...
that's a very good point...
this is not the best place to discuss sexual things...
maybe we could try to drag this topic back to what I originally intended...
to find out some *nice* loving expressions in Japanese?
that was what I really wanted to know...
are there any other ones?

Just so ya know...
my J-girlfriend is in Japan at the moment & we miss each other very much...
& I'm just trying to work out some nice things to say to her in Japanese to make her feel close to me...
...don't worry, that'll be the last of my emotional outpourings:)

Last edited:
?...
Elizabeth?...
I'm not too sure I know what you mean...
I *do* know that I have a very big interest in the Japanese language though...
& I have for some time...
but I'm only just starting to learn it properly now...
& the way the characater system works is quite complex...
perhaps some things I have said have been taken in the wrong way?...
I honestly never meant any disrespect!
Forgive me if I've come accross as rude to anyone!
I'm not upset -- just not recommending introducing yourself through your sex life as a way to ingratiate yourself with people here or get answers to these questions. ;).

Some of my favorites (stolen from anime):

抱きしめたいのに
Dakishimetai no ni
(I just want to hold you)

抱きしめたいから愛しい人
Dakishimetai kara itoshii hito
(You're dear to me because I want to embrace you)

抱きしめる is "to embrace/hug", very useful verb ^_^

Sorry if any of this was wrong at all o_O

Back
Top Bottom