What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

How should I start learning Japanese independently?

Cynergy

Kouhai
Reaction score
I"m also studying the language independently. Right now I have only a few online sources. I mostly use a couple of books, cds, and a japanese dictionary.

The one course I"m using is Ultimate Japanese Basic-Intermediate. That includes a book and CD set, one you use to study with the book and other "on the go" CDs. However, it doesn't cover the use of Hiragana and Katakana that well.

For Japanese characters I'm using Beginner's Kana Workbook Practice Drills for Writing Hiragana and Katakana Plus, for even better understanding of the uses of the different Japanese characters I use this website- members.aol.com/writejapan/hiragana/writutor.htm It's a Japanese writing tutor. It goes into when and where certain characters are used, as well as stroke order and so forth.

Lastly I have my Oxford Starter Japanese Dictionary. It's very well organized, has a Japanese Character chart in the back as notes within the book to help understand the translations a little better.

I think that covers most aspects of the language- reading, writing, speaking, listening.

The only other thing I'll suggest is to apply it in someway. Which is why this board is so great. I find that if I don't apply what I'm learning I end up forgetting what I learned right down to the basics. :emoji_flushed:

Top Bottom