What's new

How should I say it?

D

dark_secrester

Ok, A bit of background. I met a Japanese girl earlier this year in Birmingham. She went back to Japan, and basically we have become penpals.
Up until now her letters and e-mails have been very polite (always using the -masu form) but in the last emails and the last letter she spoke casually, using the dictionary form. As well as this she now calls me ジョー without a honorific whilst she always used to use kun.
I want to simply say:
Hey, you've stopped calling me joosan and you now call me joo,
or 'you're not using a honorific'.
My main problem is the verb... I can't think of one except 呼ぶ (よぶ) which is to call, but also to invite, so it must be the wrong one.

Can someone help me? Please ^^

arigatougozaimasu.

One more thing...
I was watching Naruto the other day and Roku Rii says 'arigatou gozaimasen'. Why -masen and not -masu (Somebody says 'Get well soon' or something of the sort). Can someone help me out here, it is confusing me... :cry:

I would recommend not mentioning it at all. It's a good thing. And as you age and mature a bit, you'll come to learn what all wise fellows come to learn....when something good is going on, keep your mouth shut because all you can possibly accomplish by speaking is to make it go away.

yep, it's just a sign that she's more comfortable writing to you. Don't ruin a good thing by mentioning it.

ok, thanks!
Now can anybody answer my other question?
Oh, and should I start using more casual forms rather than masu all the time?

When she starts writing to you in dictionary form, you respond in kind, I believe. Continuing to use -masu forms while she uses dictionary might cause problems. It will make you appear distant.

I can't answer your other question, sorry.

Okies, thanks ECS! Thanks everyone, you have helped a lot!

And masaegu, what is that supposed to mean?
I'm not being taught by anybody; I teach myself with a few helpful pointers. But Japanese for Busy People always use -masu form so I just learnt that way and so sound stupidly formal and polite in super casual situations...

I doubt you're sounding 'super-formal,' especially if you're communicating through writing. There is another whole formal form out there waiting for you eventually (and its not fun). If she thinks about your style at all, I imagine she thinks its in the 'learning japanese' level of formality, ie, the level of formality where you will constantly confuse different ones. I'd say just continue with the style you've been using up to now, unless you want practice using the plain forms...

I suspect that sarcasm was involved in the "arigatou gozaimasen" thing.

Have you never said "Excuse you" to someone who was blocking your way?

Thanks all.

That does seem to make sense make. Rii did sound a little bit sarcastic when he said it.

Oh no... He's beginning to notice that we don't speak the way he's being taught to..

lol,it's like when people learn spanish in school and can't understand what natives say😊

I would recommend not mentioning it at all. It's a good thing. And as you age and mature a bit, you'll come to learn what all wise fellows come to learn....when something good is going on, keep your mouth shut because all you can possibly accomplish by speaking is to make it go away.

:giggle: what's sad is that sometimes even when you do keep your mouth shut you still manage to screw it up

I dunno, i think i'd be glad in your place, you can just skip the formal part now, so you should be happy :D

I suspect that sarcasm was involved in the "arigatou gozaimasen" thing.

Have you never said "Excuse you" to someone who was blocking your way?
I would have guessed in the context of the Japanese and anime it was a joke...or maybe that was the way it was intended and it just came out wrong...:p

I would have guessed in the context of the Japanese and anime it was a joke...or maybe that was the way it was intended and it just came out wrong...:p

Sometimes (mostly at home) when someone say 失礼します to me I reply 失礼されます. A habit that my kids have picked up, much to my wife's annoyance. My son has picked up my habit of using んで? a lot, something which irritates her no end.

Back
Top Bottom