What's new

How much for a month in Kyoto?

Firesong3

後輩
27 Sep 2011
Hi! I am a student studying a Bachelor of International Studies, majoring in Japanese. Recently I made friends with a group of Japanese exchange students that stayed over here in Aus for 2 months. We had so much fun and I miss them a lot, but the point is...
I plan on going over to Japan in January with an exchange program in my university. It goes to Tokyo for two weeks. (This is if I get accepted...which is likely). I will probably be given a travel grant of $2000 from university. This is great, as it will improve my Japanese a lot! But afterwards, I want to go and visit my friends! They live in Kyoto , and have already invited me to stay at their houses. (By the way, sorry if my English sounds weird... I've been thinking in Japanese for the past month lol) :sorry:
So my question is, how much is it to stay in Kyoto? And by that, I mainly mean paying for food, transport and spending money... although I have a job, I have literally no money right now so I need to make it all between now and then as well as being a student... The $2000 travel grant will cover the airfare (being around $1200) and I don't plan to spend at all in Tokyo as I want to spend as much time with my friends as possible. About a month, I guess...
Also, if anyone has some work for me, administrative or online, I already have a job but obviously I need more money so please, anything, I am quite capable of whatever you throw at me!

My knowledge of Kyoto is a bit old (4 years now) but when I was there they had these great tickets you could use of the buses for unlimited travel for either one or two days from memory - can't recommend them higher for when you inevitably go sightseeing. I think they were roughly 1000yen for a two day pass but I could be wrong and they may have gone up. But essentially I constantly found Japanese travel great value for money - particularly if you get the entire day tickets that I found most areas in Japan had. I didnt find a great deal of difference foodwise from place to place in Japan but of course it depends on your tastes - Dominoes pizzas over there cost around 4000yen... far from the $5 pizzas they have in Australia! If you eat a lot of meat it'll be more expensive again. You can live on the cheap though, just requires a bit of planning and smarts.

Back
Top Bottom