What's new

How much anime is there in Japan? %

Sukotto

先輩
9 Jul 2003
Ok, recently I read that manga accounts for around 40% of sales
for all books and magazines.

But just how importants is anime to the whole picture?

---
Because within the last year our local museum which shows
international films once a week showed "Millenium Actress".
While I usually cannot make it to most movies, the guy currating
the showings told me something like ten people showed up.

This was rather disappointing to hear.
That movie was, I don't want to say "grown up",
but it a) was not a 'disney' kids movie;
b) not an over-the-top with violence movie either.

In short I could not understand why people did not want to
see this movie.
It is probably the same old: "cartoons are for kids" snobbery.
And I don't care what Takashi Murakami says about who
cartoons should be for.

Some anime is clearly stuff that, if appeared in the States
would be saturday morning of after school type stuff.
But definately not all of it.
This (poor showing) was plain snobbery.
---

So, I wanted to get my facts straight on the amount
of anime watched in Japan. Then, if our museum ever
decides to run another, we can help inform people about
the facts regarding one genre of Japanese film.

Well, I'm not sure what percentage of total programming on Japanese TV anime accounts for, or what percentage of films produced in Japan are anime. However, this might answer some of your questions:

State of Animation Industry In Japan

posted on 2005-08-10 20:51:33
source: Japan External Trade Organization

The Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO) has released an updated report on the status of the Animation Industry.JETRO's 2005 report is an update of the 2004 report. The changes going on in Japanese Animation industry are quite profound. Here is some excerpts from the 2005 with a list of the sources for some of the data in the report listed below.

The anime market sales in Japan declined from a high of 213.5 billion yen in 2002, to 191.2 billion yen in 2003 (a 10.4% drop).

There are about 430 anime production studios in Japan, with 264 (over 60%) of them concentrated in greater Tokyo - 70 of these are in the Suginami district of Tokyo.

Earlier this year, the Japan Digital Contents & an independent government agency gathered 500 million yen each to start an investment financing fund for content production in animation.

A typical 30-minute TV episode costs 10 million yen to produce, however some cost as little as 5 million yen to produce.

Most TV series do not recoup their production costs through TV broadcasting and rely on other revenue sources (DVDs, licensing, toys, etc...) to make up the shortfall and profit.

Employees in many smaller animation studios are not paid monthly salaries. Many also don't have guaranteed stable incomes.

Almost all of the animation broadcast in South Korea used to be from Japan. South Korea now produces 30% to 40% of the animation on television in their country.

Wao Corporation is behind the opening of Japan's first vocational graduate school. It is scheduled to open in April 2006 in Suginami.

The 2.5 billion yen used in the production of Spirited Away was invested bythese businesses: Studio Ghibli, Tokuma Shoten Publishing, Nippon Television Network Dentsu, Tohokushinsha Film, and a few others.

Feature-length anime movies released in theaters have dropped in revenue for several consecutive years. Box office revenue has dropped 53% between 2001 and 2003, from a high of 53.3 billion yen in 2001, to 33.7 billion yen in 2003.

The number of TV anime programs continue to grow each year. In 2003, there were 2,850 episodes of anime broadcast in Japan, up from 2,748 in 2002. This was the second consecutive annual rise. Over Sixty percent of TV anime is broadcast in the evening after six p.m.

Sales of anime DVDs/videos were 92.59 billion yen in 2004. This however was a 5.5% decrease from 2003. The sales of animation DVDs/videos in Japan was 80% Japanese anime and 20% imported animation.

In 2004, the anime market was estimated to be worth 20 billion yen according to the Nomura Research Institute. The numbers were based on the amount of DVDs sold.

METI issued a report in January of 2004 estimating on sales internationally that 60% of the anime shown worldwide is made in Japan.

Thanks for the post. There's some interesting stuff in there, I think.

Such as:
"Over Sixty percent of TV anime is broadcast in the evening after six p.m."

That could imply a lot of anime being for adults,
or since so many students have after school activities or cram school
or whatever it might be a better time to capture viewers?

On Takashi Murakami.
I don't mean to make what I said sound mean or anything.
I read recently an art book titled
"Little Boy : The Arts of Japan's Exploding Subculture".
There are some really fascinating essays in it.

Murakami points out that in every other country in the world,
cartoons are considered a children's medium. I guess I never
really thought about that before. Myself, and other friends
who studied Japanese in high school took the view that we in
the states were backwards because we did not use this medium
on regularly and considered it only for children.

Murakami, and others with equally interesting essays,
talk about the development of anime, otaku culture, etc..., from
WW2 to the present day. Its development into today what is a
new indegenous art movement in Japan. Check it out, yo.

Sukotto said:
Thanks for the post. There's some interesting stuff in there, I think.
Such as:
"Over Sixty percent of TV anime is broadcast in the evening after six p.m."
That could imply a lot of anime being for adults,
or since so many students have after school activities or cram school
or whatever it might be a better time to capture viewers?

I think a combination of the two. On my two trips to Japan so far I've only seen anime broadcast in the evenings. It isn't like I've spent all my time over there watching TV, but I've seen a fair amount of morning programming and evening programming. And the morning programming that I've seen has tended to be news, non-animated children's shows (like Domo-kun's show), and women's shows, with the odd live feed of American sports broadcasts thrown in for good measure. What I've seen in the evening has tended to be news, the ubiquitous cooking shows, period dramas, and some anime. I think some stuff is definitely geared toward an older audience, some is aimed at kids, and some is intended for the whole family. My girlfriend tells me "One Piece" is popular with all generations in Japan because everyone loves exciting pirate stories, whereas here in the U.S. it's largely marketed to children.

usually you see the very kid themed anime in the early mornings, and the rest in the evenings. at least in my area.

Back
Top Bottom