What's new

How is Tokyo?

I love Tokyo. There're places to relax, as well. Ueno park has lovely temples, Meiji Jingu is great, and if you want to spend some time shopping and being afraid of large amounts of people, there's always Ginza :D

Walking from Ueno to Okachimachi is some good shopping. Go to shibuya and shinjuku and look around, pretty dull. I like the way theres little temples and shrines just hidden everywhere.

is Tokyo, Never Been

I also have never been to Tokyo.

I have tried, via, Internet, chat rooms, books, magazine articles to figure out Tokyo.

I will try to sum up, "what I think I know".

TOKYO-PHYSICAL
--------------------------------------------------
It has seperate regions or boroughs. Each is proud of itself. I think sort of like New-York; Queens/Bronx/Brookyln/... .

But the regions, are not the same as New-York-City. Its similiar but different. Boroughs are; Shinjuku/Ginza /Roppongi......

I am not sure whats different, but I sense a difference.

A lot of people say Tokyo is many moderate size ugly buildings, miles and miles. A sprawling place with not a true center.

What Tokyo has is several centers. One is the governemnt buildings, the other is Roppongi with some very new buildings, and Ginza with the huge shopping centers that are glitzy skyscrapers........

Tokyo has the greatest in the world; Neon JumboTran signs and live video JumboTran. This is New-Yorks-Fifth-Avenue done better !

TRANSPORTATION
-----------------------------
The transportation system is immense. City-Trains and subways connect everywhere to everywhere. This isn't your old rundown system patched togethor. This is a large set of serveral systems. Some look incredible modern and effecient.

PEOPLE
--------------------------
The hubs for transportation, where one system connects to another system seem to be a huge focal point of people at rush hour. But not screaming surging masses. These focal points have many people converge and diverging. But not that messy. The women of Tokyo are probably the best dressed in the world. The men, dress nice, but a lot of sameness in dress to the over 40 crowd.

CLUBS/NIGHT-LIFE
-------------------------------
A lot, but can be very very expensive. Certain streets are expensive red-light district. The police like it that way, and the majority of men like it that way. Solid set of shows and events, but I wonder if the don't have a certain sameness. You don't see unique small show from British Theater in Tokyo.

Probably certain Hotels are high-end spots for nice smokey Night-Clubs.

TRAFFIC
---------------------------
If you drive a car, the roads are confusing. Certain spots are just awfull. Not poorly maintained just inherited a bad design from years past. But why drive when you have this fantastic public transportation system.

DOES TOKYO HAVE A SOUL
---------------------------------------------
Note: Orlando-Florida does not. Trust me, a good friend of mine lives their.

In Tokyo the teenage girls and their fads is one soul. For the rest of the people in Tokyo. I don't have a great handle on this. Go and find out, thats my advice !

LAST ISSUE
-------------------------
Can one enjoy Tokyo with little money. I thinks with adequate money Tokyo is great. But if you have only a small amount. I don't know.

Compared to New-York-City, which with, my two experiences, has many free things to do. And New-York-City transporation, while dirty and messy is pretty cheap.

i once was walking around looking for a place to buy some sandals and i was helped by some shop keepers who didnt speak a word of english but understood the "word zori" and took the time ot draw me a map and take me out side and point me in the right direction.

kyoto is better then tokyo

I prefer yokohama over tokyo any day...

I am sure both are true. But this misses the point. If your from the United States and you may visit Japan 2-3 times in your life. You have to see Tokyo.

Its like someone from Japan going to New Jersey. They have to go to New-York-City.

_.

Originally posted by dadako
tokyo will be a pile of rubble soon if the papers and tv are to be belived
Is that the latest rumor? Just living there online, I must have missed this crucial bit of information. There was a headline on the asahi site the other day something about new earthquake preparedness information being developed for people living around the East China Sea, but it didn't seem important enough to actually read the article. :eek:

Originally posted by dadako
tokyo will be a pile of rubble soon if the papers and tv are to be belived

Originally posted by Elizabeth
Is that the latest rumor? Just living there online, I must have missed this crucial bit of information. There was a headline on the asahi site the other day something about new earthquake preparedness information being developed for people living around the East China Sea, but it didn't seem important enough to actually read the article. :eek:

Nah, he means Gojira will attack soon. :)

Japan, in general, isn't the safest place to live as we have all sort of natural disasters. Earthquakes, tsunami, volcano, you name it...! However these make Japan a special, both unique and beautiful place 😄

yeah and taifu.... we get a lot of taifu down here in southern Kyushu.... this year about 15 people died not so far from where I live, from landslides.... :( I've decided never to live near a river or under a hill or mountain...... but of course I do live near at least 2 live volcanoes....! scary!

Im not too sure what a taifu really is, seems like a very concentrated storm, get those back home (adelaide) sometimes and its just a bit of bad weather.

I like tokyo but prefer to live outside it, like chiba or saitama (esp saitama). Its a great place, you want something you can find it, easy to get about.

Back
Top Bottom