What's new

How is the video editing and VFX Artist scene as a job in Japan?

Zeshen

Registered
29 Jan 2015
I was thinking to move to Japan for a while now. I have been to japan before (kinda lived there for 2 months), studied the language and all. I wouldn't say I am super good at speaking Japanese but I can make myself be understand in a daily situation. Although, I do not have any of those N2 - N1 and whatever certificates. JLPT is it?

Anyway, I have a degree in Media Technology (Computer Animation and Visual Effects) with pretty good marks too (max grades), and since I see that having a degree is a good starting point for working in Japan, well... I have it. So I would like to know if any of you knows what sorts of job opportunities I can have in Japan in my field. Do I need a good knowledge of Japanese language or not? I heard many people going to work in Japan not knowing a single word of Japanese and still finding a job in big companies and eikaiwa.
So, how is it?

Did you google for video editing jobs in Japan which don't require any Japanese skill? What did you find, if anything?

Did you google for video editing jobs in Japan which don't require any Japanese skill? What did you find, if anything?
I did do some research and found some things. Not as specific as in America, Europe or New Zealand but I guess some good starting points. Going to Japan and do something related even a little bit to what I do is already a big thing for me. Yes some of them do not require any particular level of Japanese, just fluent English and Japanese preferred but not essential. But I just wanted to know maybe from someone who had some experience how is it there? How's work in this field and if they actually look for foreigns with special skills that japanese film/media industry doesn't have.

I know nothing about that type of work. But if the ads say high fluency is preferred, think about it. Also keep in mind that some reading and writing will probably be involved, so if you can only "make myself be understand in a daily situation", I wouldn't think that would be close. Look at ads in the Japan Times online, Metropolis online classifieds, or Career Cross. Having a degree is only a starting point, but realize that you are probably going to be competing with locals who are Japanese.

I heard many people going to work in Japan not knowing a single word of Japanese and still finding a job in big companies and eikaiwa.
Eikaiwa, yes. Big companies? Like what? I would say those would have some very special circumstances. And neither fit your situation as far as we know.

Yes some of them do not require any particular level of Japanese, just fluent English and Japanese preferred but not essential.
That's a good sign.
But I just wanted to know maybe from someone who had some experience how is it there? How's work in this field and if they actually look for foreigns with special skills that japanese film/media industry doesn't have.
I'm afraid there is nobody here working in this field that can give you much inside information. But certainly if you have special skills where the skill is more important than the language then you have a chance. That was the case for me back in the day. I was in the I.T. field and Japanese was not a requirement. Out of the I.T. department consisting of dozens of people very few people spoke Japanese. This was at an American company in Tokyo in the financial industry.

Back
Top Bottom